GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the front suspension on my GL1800 and have a question for those who have done it already.

Like some I have limited funds and would like to start to upgrade my front suspension.

I was looking at replacing the front springs and stem bearings. Is this worth the time and money or should I wait save my pennies and do the "full fork" upgrade that Traxxion offers, but much later on.

At some point in time later on I'll move to the rear suspension.

John

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi John,

My 2 cents; I put the Traxxion upgrade on my 2005. I am new to the GW (1 year) but just didn't like the feel of the suspension from the onset. Commnets from members of this board convinced me to do do the Traxxion upgrade. Huge improvement for me. Money well spent in my opinion. On a budget and if you are wrench savvy, there may be ways to make it happen sooner. I had Traxxion send the stuff and my local dealer installed it. The mechanic let me watch and participate. There is no way I could have done that alone.

Hope this helps.

Bill

·
Registered
525 Posts
The springs themselves make a big difference. You can feel it just coming off the centerstand. I believe that Traxxion uses a shorter spring with their AK20 cartridges, however, if you have already replaced your springs with Traxxion springs, they will give you full credit when you upgrade.

I put the rear shock on before I changed the forks and was surprised at how great an improvement just the rear shock made both in ride comfort and cornering.

If I were you, I would save money by doing the installs yourself and in that vein the greatest install savings is in the rear -- about $250. If you can afford the rear shock, do it first. Then, replace your front fork springs and disable the anti damping valve. You didn't say how many miles are on your bike, but in interest of budget I would recommend you consider rebuilding the forks at 17k to 20k miles since your lower bushings will be worn out by then and the fork oil will need changing. This would be a good time to slip in the new springs.

I just finished a 1700 mile ride of southern Utah and northern Arizona and was very pleased with the performance of the full Traxxion kit. Especially so, on some of the rough roads I encountered and the tar snakes in Arizona where the road was fully cracked from left to right from expansion and contraction. I had many miles of this and in feel it was barely noticeable.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
One of the best traits of the Traxxion upgrade is the steering feeling much more precise and stable with no more little wiggles in the handlebars when you encounter road cracks and other imperfections in the road. Even with a worn front tire ( in my case 18000 miles of wear) the steering is still nearly unaffected by the road imperfections. Sometimes I find myself steering into the road cracks and other road imperfections just to feel how stable the bike is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
gpick said:
The springs themselves make a big difference.

If I were you, I would save money by doing the installs yourself and in that vein the greatest install savings is in the rear -- about $250. If you can afford the rear shock, do it first. Then, replace your front fork springs
This is what I just did (with help from Fred's DVD's) and am very satisfied with the results -- front and back. You should change both at the same time or you probably will not be happy with the result -- when you change only one end it magnifies the deficiencies with the other.

Fork springs or AK-20? It depends on what kind of roads you will be riding on. Cartridge forks give the greatest benefits on washboards or very bumpy roads, if most of your riding is on smooth roads with an occasional bump you will pretty happy with the Traxxion springs which give an additional 2 inches of effective travel over the wimpy stock springs.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
John, there is likey some point where accumulatd miles makes the difference. I don't see a year model or age indicationfor your bike, but if its relatively new, go for the new springs, bushings, sliders, seals, and fluid. The parts are not too steep and the job not too difficult. It does help and if its gonna be a good while waiting on funds for Traxxion DeLux, then its worth it.

prs

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
If your webble wobbles start with the all ball bearings :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts