GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recent purchase = 2005 wing / 80k miles seems soft and bouncy so suspension upgrade seems like a next thing to do .
we together are approx 450 lb with riding gear and then there's luggage, so maybe lookin at a 550lb payload.
What upgrades - modifications have you made? results? cost? recommendations?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Upgrades

At a minimum, I'd suggest replacing the rear shock with a 2012+ shock and I'd convert to a Progressive rear spring. I'd also suggest some Traxxion front springs as well. You can get the rear sock for $100 or so from a trike shop and the rear spring will also be about $100. The front springs are also about $100. You will have to add any labor costs on top of these costs.

BTW: You should probably also have the seals and sliders replaced in the forks while they are disassembled.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I suggest spend more time researching on this site and others, if you know how to do that. I learned a lot that way. Opinions all over the board with products, idea's, best, worst, cheap and expensive to solbe your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Actually just did this very thing. Replaced the front springs with Progressive's and Belray fork oil, replaced the rear shock spring, also with a Progressive spring, replaced the pre-load hose with a new braided stainless hose, pulled, cleaned, refilled, and bled the pre-load pump. My 03 now rides like it was new, at least well enough that I was dragging the floorboards around corners. About $225 for springs, front and rear, braided hose about $70, 10 weight fork oil, and the time and effort to tear everything apart and do the work. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Check the rear shock pre-load adjuster. Lower it to the lowest setting, then listen for the motor to lug or change pitch while you raise it. That is the where the motor starts moving fluid. Any more than level 1 and it needs servicing. Mine didnt start until 12! With 25 being max.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Hey, Greg
Thanks for your service. Armor?

·
Registered
56 Posts
New to me 08 was the same. I got some second hand Progressive springs for the front and did Bushings, Seals, fluid, and springs on the front. OEM bushings and seals were about $ 80. I have run out of money to do the rear this year but will at least do the fluid top off. Just doing the front and finding where the pre load starts working for the back has changed the ride dramatically for the better.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
That is a LOT more weight than the design target. Beefier springs, linear if possible, from Traxxion or Progressive, new shock corrrectly pre-loaded. Medium fork oil with all fresh wear parts up front and adjustable fork brace. I would also use a darsider tire on the rear, but that is just me and some other crash and burn proof igits. If the budget allow go full blow Traxxion and tell them your riding weight.

prs

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey, Greg

Thanks for your service. Armor?
Thank you, it was an Honor to serve this great Country! Armor, I got that a couple times. No, it relates to the UH-60 Black Hawk Helicopter. Been with them since 2003. Although I have used a water fire extinguisher on an M60 tank Commander in Katterbach when they did loadouts because they came by window to the railhead at 0230!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Awesome, those are so cool. A good Cpt. friend of mine was a pilot on the Blackhawk, took me NOE in California during some exercises. What a hoot. Most of my time in the air was spent hanging Artillery pieces under CH54's, Ch 47 C's and D's, and flying advanced party in the Huey. The best of both worlds, flying and blowing stuff up with big guns and big bullets.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
I rode on the Traxxion suspension for 13 years/85K miles...had the forks refreshed twice and the rear shock refreshed twice in that time. I rode with a passanger who was on the heavy side 95% of the time. The suspension was tuned for the weight the bike carried. With the Traxxion system, you could feel the suspension was in its sweet spot riding two up.... riding two up the bike rode like a Cadillac and 13 years later I still couldn't help but to grin every time I had the bike in a bumpy curve or when hard braking on a bumpy road because the bike felt like it was on a rail with the wheels glued to the road no matter how bumpy the road was. The bike was just so confident inspiring to ride with a passanger and just more fun to ride because the bike just worked so well.

You can go cheap with suspension upgrades, but the real improvements are made with the compression and rebound damping along with the proper springing for the weight that the bike carries.

I finally added the aluminum trees the last season I owned my old Traxxion wing. I had just refreshed the suspension the second time. I thought the bike was great with the stock trees, but after I installed the aluminum trees the bike was even better...the front end was noticablely more rigid and the steering more precise and bike would turn into a corner with almost just thinking about it....with the aluminum trees the front ends rigidity felt close to the 2018 and superior to the OEM setup. The Traxxion was without a doubt the best money spent on my old wing and made riding two up much more confident inspiring and made the ride more fun every time I rode the bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rather than start another thread thought I’d see what you guy think. My 01 has about 110k and suspension is shot. Considering Traxxion full Monty or selling and putting $ towards something newer with less miles. Bike runs great and probably could use a valve adjustment but not sure what I should be looking for in regards to- if it’s needed or not. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,531 Posts
Rather than start another thread thought I’d see what you guy think. My 01 has about 110k and suspension is shot. Considering Traxxion full Monty or selling and putting $ towards something newer with less miles. Bike runs great and probably could use a valve adjustment but not sure what I should be looking for in regards to- if it’s needed or not. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 03 just hit 100K miles in 2017. I rebuilt the Traxxion suspension both front and rear, installed the Traxxion trees, installed a new OEM alternator just because the the old one had 100K miles on it, changed all the fluids, and installed new tires. My 03 never felt better and was ready for the next 100K miles. I would had rode that bike across the country with no worries.

There are plenty of Gold Wings with 200K miles and I've seen them with nearly 500K miles. When you look at it like that your 110K miles is not really all that much if the bike has been well taken care of.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
At a minimum you need heavier springs.

The least expensive way is to $99 for Traxxion front springs and $89 for a Progressive rear spring. I'd suggest a 1.2 kg / mm on the front but the guys at Traxxion can help you pick a spring rate when you call. Get the 1200# Progressive rear spring.

When you install the fork springs, change out to a 20wt fork oil and it will give you better damping for the heavier spring. I'd also disable the ADV valve, you won't need it with correct springs. On the rear, it wouldn't be bad to use a 2012 or newer shock if you can find one from a trike takeoff but the important thing is to get the stiffer spring in there and to make sure the pre-load pump starts working at 1.

All of the above could be done for about $200 in parts. Labor would probably be $500 though if you had to have it done and weren't able to do it yourself. There are videos and plenty of instructions on this forum and others if you have mechanic skills. It's pretty involved but not rocket science. I'd give it a 6 on a complexity scale.

Also..."while you are in there"..... it wouldn't be bad to replace fork bushings and sliders in the forks which is another $100 in parts. And.... a billet aluminum triple tree is a significant upgade as well but it's a $500 part. It's well worth it, but I wouldn't put it on your necessary list, just a really good upgrade for the money if you can swing it.

I helped a buddy do all of the above on his 2006 and it totally transformed the ride. (his bike had 250K miles and was pretty bad before we started but he's only 180 pounds and his passenger is like 80 so they aren't heavy....but the springs were shot so he was experiencing the same thing you've described) His total parts bill was like $800 and it took us about 8 hours in my garage.

Reactions: networkguy3
1 - 20 of 20 Posts