GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to update my 2006 wing's fork and shocks. Which is the best, cost effective way to proceed ? Race tech, Traxtron, progressive ? I'm open for ideas and suggestions on which is the best for the cost. My wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska in July from upstate N.Y. and would like service the bike this spring and maybe do the upgrade before we head North.. Wondering what fellow wing riders suggest about the suspension updates and are they worth the time and money ? Regards,Murf

· Registered
4,652 Posts
Rather than doing a total rebuild of your forks, you can try upraded springs. There is very little difference, among brands in the cost of fork springs and rear shock/springs. Anything would be an improvement over stock. I'm using fork springs and rear shock from Traxxion Dynamics.

· Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I just did the Race Tech valves and springs. I let you know in a couple of weeks. I was shooting for more ground clearance and a smoother, firmer ride.

It appears the bike sits about an inch higher in front. When you bounce on the bars there is more travel than stock. All I have ridden is out the shop door to get a couple of pics. I did not have the bang that I had with stock when I dropped off or rode back up on the concrete edge.

· Banned
11,396 Posts
Murf.Anyone who tells you one brand is better than the other is plain out lying to you..

No one but you can tell what you personally like or feel is best for you on your own bike..
We all feel different things as we ride and have different riding styles as well.

I have the full Progressive set up,and rode a friends Full Traxxion bike...The slight difference between the two brands doesn't warrant the added expense in my opinion..I was expecting something dramatically different,but it wasn't there..

My advice is simple..Try and find someone who has what you are interested in and ask if you can ride there bike..Then and only then will you be able to make up your own mind on what is best for you!

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
suspension updates

Thanks guys for your imput. I was leaning towards Traxxon myself until they quated me $2.600 to do the front end and rear shock. I was at the NY bike show and the rep from race tech , he said front and rear about $1.200.. Which is the better ride and handling of the two ?

· Registered
2,470 Posts
My solution is Traxxion's shock and spring, Sonic's 1.2 kg/mm fork springs, and Racetech's cartridge emulator in the the left fork with stock valved right fork. Improved my comfort factor quite a bit, and moved my hilly and twisty cornering confidence from marginal to high.

One of these days, I plan on doing the Traxxion forks, but I'm concentrating on my own skills for now.

Keep in mind that Racetech's fork solution is to improve the stock components, where Traxxion replaces the stock components with higher quality ones. There is a good reason for the price difference. Also keep in mind that both ends are equally important, because what the rear does affects the front and viceversa.

If you can afford it, just go Traxxion and be done with it.

· Registered
313 Posts
Murphy,

I have had the progressive front and rear upgraded suspension since 4/2006. The first ride after install was such a tremendous difference, I could hardly believe it was the same bike. The difference was similar from going from a GL1500 to a GL1800. WOW! I also installed a fork brace and had the taperhead bearings done, while they were in there. I didn't have the dreaded decel wobble, but thought it would be a good idea.

Ditto the advise from Rocky - see if you can try before you buy. Sounds like a good excuse to go to NC! ; )

· Registered
216 Posts
I dont know where these people get this $2600 price tag to do the Traxxion setup front and rear (unless they are having Traxxion disassemble the bike for them). I was able to do mine for $1600 front and rear. Yes, I did the disassembly myself. I guess a few hours of labor on my part save me a thousand bucks. :thumbup: Well worth it.

· Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,209 Posts
I dont know where these people get this $2600 price tag to do the Traxxion setup front and rear (unless they are having Traxxion disassemble the bike for them). I was able to do mine for $1600 front and rear. Yes, I did the disassembly myself. I guess a few hours of labor on my part save me a thousand bucks. :thumbup: Well worth it.
That's what I did as well......it doesn't have to cost $2600 to have the full Traxxion upgrades.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suspension

Hey Folks, Thanks everyone for the words of advise. I really don't have the proper tools or confidence to tear into taking the front end and rear shock off the wing. The $ 2.600 was a price I got when I spoke to the rep on the phone in GA. My plan was to ride the bike to FLA see my son and his family and then stop by the shop in GA and let them do the upgrade. But for the price I thought twice. I'm thinking now of going race tech front and rear and putting on a fork brace and some really good fork oil. Don't have the front end wobble, yet anyway, but the forks could be more forgiving. Been riding a long time and I like the sweepers. That is why I considering the upgrade. Thanks everyone.. Murf

· Registered
230 Posts
suspension

I am with Towerhog.....I did my own Traxxion for $1600,I also did my buddies for the same price.If you have the time (like a winter layup) you can save a lot of money and you will definitely love the ride....Of course some people don't feel it is worth the money but almost all have never rode a Traxxion equipped bike or may not feel the difference even if they did.Just like some people could benefit from a full blown speaker system and some people couldn't hear the difference.If you can't tell the difference .....don't spend the money.....JMHO.....Jim

· Registered
3,025 Posts
As I have not ridden a race tech or progressive equipped 1800, I can't comment on how they are....all I can say is that I hope that whatever your choice, it meets your expectations....spending good money after bad is no fun.

· Vendor
23,401 Posts
I think the best bang for the buck you can get is to get the Traxxion, but do the installation yourself, and just remove the forks and ship them in to them for rebuild.

If you have the rear shock spring compressor, you can just have them ship you the new rear shock and spring and put it on yourself.

· Registered
284 Posts
Hey Folks, Thanks everyone for the words of advise. I really don't have the proper tools or confidence to tear into taking the front end and rear shock off the wing. The $ 2.600 was a price I got when I spoke to the rep on the phone in GA. My plan was to ride the bike to FLA see my son and his family and then stop by the shop in GA and let them do the upgrade. But for the price I thought twice. I'm thinking now of going race tech front and rear and putting on a fork brace and some really good fork oil. Don't have the front end wobble, yet anyway, but the forks could be more forgiving. Been riding a long time and I like the sweepers. That is why I considering the upgrade. Thanks everyone.. Murf

Hey Murf I under stand your point on tools and skills but keep in mind that all your saving is the cost of parts ....and thats less then half the price , the labor is all the same! you still should get all the balls, a fork brace, a rear shock and correct spring for you , fork springs and some type of front end kit for dampending SO traxxion isnt looking all that bad now is it. Trust me my wing only has 400 miles on it (basicly brand new) But comeing off a sport bike that turns I cant deal with bike the way it is out of the box. For me there is really only one way of thinking , WHo's fork set up do I want? The traxxion and progressive shock cost the same amount so traxxion get the win there , so it only comes down to $600+ dollar savings to go racetech. Thats not much given the fact your on a bike that new was $20k. All the other parts just support the bike better and make the handleing just that much more finely honed. If you going to do it on limited funds do everything at once on one end at a time so you dont cost yourself a pile of money in lost labor fees

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.