GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input,

I have a 2001 gl1800 coming up on 50,000 miles. Its never had any maintenance to the suspension and I know its overdue.
I was considering doing the full Traxxion upgrade but after reading many posts on the subject I'm not sure I need all that for my style of riding, (2 up most of the time and some long distance pulling a trailer), I might be just as happy with either Traxxion or Progressive fork springs including the tapered bearings or even the stock fork springs would suffice.
I'm not sure what to do with the the rear end as far as do I replace both shock and spring? at this point, or just the spring and rebuild the actuator?

Both my wife and I do like to have fun in the twisties as well, however, I'm not nor intend on being a racer.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Looking for some input,

I have a 2001 gl1800 coming up on 50,000 miles. Its never had any maintenance to the suspension and I know its overdue.
I was considering doing the full Traxxion upgrade but after reading many posts on the subject I'm not sure I need all that for my style of riding, (2 up most of the time and some long distance pulling a trailer), I might be just as happy with either Traxxion or Progressive fork springs including the tapered bearings or even the stock fork springs would suffice.
I'm not sure what to do with the the rear end as far as do I replace both shock and spring? at this point, or just the spring and rebuild the actuator?

Both my wife and I do like to have fun in the twisties as well, however, I'm not nor intend on being a racer.
How do you know the suspension needs any work at this point? Symptoms?

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
Do you ever load more the 418 lbs between you both, tonge weight, and load?

Where you happy with how it was new?

Whatever you do, make sure you retorque the rear swing arm. It will help take the wallow out of the rear end. Many go to other fixes which helps cover up what can be elimnated with an adjustment.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Thanks Greg... That is one thing I think a lot of us forget from time to time. I'll do that when I get home.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Looking for some input,

Dennis I also ride 2-up 90% of the time myself. I also pull a trailer but only a couple times a year. I went with the Racetech front suspension and rear Racetech spring. I don't have a lot of money in this setup as I did all the work myself. It works really well for what I do and ride. Also it didn't break the bank and have lots of money for gas left over :thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben, The bike doesn't ride as well as it did new kinda harsh over the bumps jarring actually.

Greg, the bride and I combined are 310 lbs. The trailer empty is 185 lbs, capacity is 250 lbs. I can't imagine I've ever loaded it up that much but we'll assume we did, so at a supposed 12% average tongue weight of 52 lbs I guess.
Thinking back to when I bought the bike I'd have to say yes I enjoyed the way it handled.
Would that be the left and right pivot bolts to re torque? And the best way to do that would be to loosen then torque or just torque?

jpinpa,

My thinking exactly, I have no problem spending the money if its what I really need, but why bother if I can get satisfaction spending less.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Ben, The bike doesn't ride as well as it did new kinda harsh over the bumps jarring actually.

Greg, the bride and I combined are 310 lbs. The trailer empty is 185 lbs, capacity is 250 lbs. I can't imagine I've ever loaded it up that much but we'll assume we did, so at a supposed 12% average tongue weight of 52 lbs I guess.
Thinking back to when I bought the bike I'd have to say yes I enjoyed the way it handled.
Would that be the left and right pivot bolts to re torque? And the best way to do that would be to loosen then torque or just torque?

jpinpa,

My thinking exactly, I have no problem spending the money if its what I really need, but why bother if I can get satisfaction spending less.

Dennis.I'll tell you what I tell other guys like you.

Don't waste your money on aftermarket suspenion.
If you rode this bike for 50,000 miles and haven't done anything to it's suspension by now.

Then.KISS!!
Get new Stock fork springs/bushings upper/lowers/fork seal kits/10 wt fork oil.A new rear trike take off shock/spring combo.

What you'll be doing is "refreshing" the bikes suspension to new condition.

Some guys go over board with the sales pitches out there.Some guys like yourself are fine with the bike the way they bought it.

But honestly after 50K,It's time to freshen it up.Hell just new fork oil and you'll be amazed at what new oil feels like.lol

Stock fork springs are under $25 each,you can get trike take off rear shock set up for under $60.then about $60 for bushings/seal kits/oil.
If you can do the work,then you'll save even more,if not then you'll need to add about 5-7 hours of labor rate to the mix for F&R.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the steering head bearings Rocky? Tapered or don't bother with them?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
What about the steering head bearings Rocky? Tapered or don't bother with them?
Dennis try this.Get the bike up to 35 mph and take your left hand off the bars,if you feel no wobble,Then you don't need them.

If you do.then I'd suggest you install them.Every set I have installed the customers have all been pleased.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If the bike has 50,000 mile with no suspension work, then the teflon bushings are worn out or very close...it's not even debatable. They need to replaced ASAP. Hopefully the metal on metal has not scraped out the sliders to the point they need to be replaced. There are a few people on the board who know exactly what I'm talking about on this.

If you have already decided that upgraded suspension is not for you, then also at least replace the front springs with Traxxion or progressive, etc. After that, try disabling the anti-dive plunger. You may like the change and if you don't, take the disabling shim out and the A/D will be back to normal.

Traxxion used to rebuild rear shocks...now they replace them with an all new shock.

But traxxion also offers a really nice steel braided line for the preload actuator..you can buy it as a separate item, and the stock ones do leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Basically I did what has been mentioned,except new progressive springs,$75.00 All Balls Steer Bearings and while I was at it riser shims for the handlebars.Since stock shock is relatively new I left it alone. I had to have the work done as I know nothing about the Wing suspension,Anyway total cost was Around $ 400.00 parts and labor Total for everything and I am REALLY happy with the turnout. FOR ME it is exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You all for you're input,
I'm going to go the less expensive route apposed to the full Traxxion uprgrade. I'm sure it's all I need for the type of riding I do.
I have to try and find a trike shop here in Ontario to see If I can get the shock from a conversion. In the mean time I gotta order the other parts I need.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Thank You all for you're input,
I'm going to go the less expensive route apposed to the full Traxxion uprgrade. I'm sure it's all I need for the type of riding I do.
I have to try and find a trike shop here in Ontario to see If I can get the shock from a conversion. In the mean time I gotta order the other parts I need.
I think your decision is wise, based on the way you say you use the bike.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I just had my fornt end serviced at 53K miles at Midwest Custom Cycle Work.

After much thought and input from helpful board members here, I had the following done:

Upper and lower bushings replaced(wore but not to the point where it was causing a problem yet).

New Seals and new oil of course. Went with 15W per Paul's rec.

Anti Dive was disabled internally. Paul stated that I would not miss it with the new traxxion springs and he was right.

Traxxion 1.1 spring kit.

Stem bearings seemed good so I left the OEM's in place for now.

Did not touch the rear, although I have a new shock and actuator from a trike take off on the shelf. Next time I service the front end I'll change out the rear shock.

Result: very happy with the outcome. Paul at Midwest is the man. Polished up my forks like new. The 600 mile ride home was a grin ride as I enjoyed the new feel of the suspension. I got a huge bang for my dollar and am very pleased with the ride and handling, which is a marked improvement over OEM at 50K miles. I like the firmer feel of the traxxion springs.

Fred

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
A better suspension is better in every riding situation not just for the aggressive riders and canyon carvers. Whether it is worth it to you and if that would enhance your enjoyment of the ride is a personal decision, but don't assume that a suspension improvement is only for the aggressive. I am very happy with my suspension upgrades every time I ride, no matter how aggressive or tame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts