GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 gl 1800 rides really hard over bumps tried playing with the pre load but that’s doesn’t make a difference.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Since this is your first post I'll assume your new to wings. Here is a link you should do some research on. Also I would suggest 36 front and 41 rear tire pressure. I would also suggest rebuilding the forks. Fresh oil makes a huge difference. After that you should read up on progressive springs front and rear. If you have more than 50,000 miles you might consider replacing the rear shock. If none of that satisfies you then there are a few more $$ options.
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/57309-disabling-anti-dive-valve-101-a.html

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Welcome to the asylum. A staff psychiatrist will be assigned to you shortly. That being said a guy brought his bike to me complaining about a harsh ride over bumps also. His is a 2002 with 112k on the clock. It already had Progressive springs installed and it had not been serviced since they were installed at about 60k. I rebuilt the forks and found that the anti dive valve had seized up. I freed it up and then disabled it. He said it made all the difference in the world how it rode. You don't say how many miles on your bike or the mileage since the forks were serviced. In the future info like that might be helpful with any other problems you might incur. Also a location would help in case someone close to you might want to help you out. For the most part we are a friendly community.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I put 2012 Take-Off Shock on rear of my 04 and Progressives on the front. Night and day difference. Is your bike riding low ? Do you scrape speed bumps ? I had that problem and it was resolved after front rear shock fixes. You should be able to do them yourself if you have service manual from Honda, metric tools and instructions with shock kit from Profressive or you can send forks out and have them upgraded.
You tube video is good... Progressive Goldwing Monotube Fork Cartridge Install...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've said it before and I will say it again " the forks on the 2001-2017 Gl1800 are ****. Way under sprung and just a poor design. The mechanical engineer that designed the anti dive valve should be shot. Can you name another bike that has one? I can't. You pull the brake lever and it hydraulically locks the front fork, smart thinking.....I rebuilt mine (front and rear) with Racetech kits. You need to mechanically adept to do this but it is possible. Doesn't cost too much either. At very least you have to replace springs and change fork/shock fluid. I am 180lbs and I run a set of .95 springs up front with Racetech valving. Anti dive disabled inside fork. In the rear, I opened the shock and added a scrader valve to replace the existing nitrogen, put Racetech piston kit valved to my specs and new heavier spring, new oil and nitro charge. It rides like a nimble, stable motorcycle now. No wallow, no bottoming or sloppy ride.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Here's a couple questions for you. Is the hard ride coming from the front or the rear? If from the rear, start by listening to your preload pump. When you increase the setting, do you hear the pump starting to work harder immediately, or does it raise a few numbers before you hear it working harder? If it doesn't start working right from zero, the preload pump needs to be serviced. A new Progressive rear spring and follow Fred Harmon's service procedures for that pump, and you'll see immediate results.

If from the front, is the anti-dive valve deactivated? If that valve is active, it may have seized up, locking your left fork leg and essentially turning it into a stick. Deactivating it may help considerably. To further improve your front end performance, Traxxion is your high end, higher price option, Progressive mono tubes are a very good and less expensive choice. Then there are just upgrading the springs and some internal parts from Traxxion, Progressive, and Racetech. Good luck

Reactions: proudpeacock
1 - 6 of 6 Posts