GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front forks have over 100K total and probably 50K since anything has been done to them. My wobble goes from 32 to 48 mph and will creep on even when I'm holding on to the the bars. Max at Traxxion says a rebuild (or at least a good inspection) every 20K is a good idea. I'm going to have mine rebuilt and looking for ideas.

I'd like to do the Traxxion but I don't know how long I'll keep my current ride. It still has two and half years of payments so the trade-in hit would be huge. Maybe next summer I can get an '08 and install the Traxxion. Any ideas on what the Traxxion adds to the value of a used GL1800?

Has anyone used the Race-tech Gold Valve fork kits on an 1800? Any good?

What about the Race-tech springs? They say I should use a 90kg/mm spring. Along with bushings and other parts, I'd be out about $500 in parts plus several hours of labor.

For the tapered bearings on the steering head, is there any choice other than All Balls? Any secrets to know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Any ideas on what the Traxxion adds to the value of a used GL1800?
It would depend on whether they understand what it is and want the better ride. In that regard I think it would be similar to ABS. There are many riders who will only buy a Wing which has ABS. There appear to be enough of those that, at least on the pre-06 years where ABS was not bundled with other expensive options, it appears that an ABS bike sells for about $1,000 more than an equivalent non-ABS.

I think that there is a growing number of Wing riders, who having installed Traxxion suspension would agree with me when I say that I no longer consider OEM suspension an option. If I ever buy another GL1800 it is going to have Traxxion suspension. How much extra I would pay would depend on how many miles were on the forks and shock. I suspect I would be happy with $1,000 more and if the forks were relatively new and I really liked everything about the rest of the deal on the bike, even $1500 might be OK.

However, I doubt that I would ever find myself buying a Traxxion equipped bike for the simple reason that such a bike is owned by a RIDER. I bought my 03 in 05 which only had 2200 miles on it. It was mint and had an extended warranty. IMO the best deals both in bike quality and price come about by someone who thought he might like to ride but didn't, or his wife didn't, and needs the money.

If I had 100,000 miles and was considering a trade to an 08, I think I would agree with you to just service the forks and add new springs and maybe the Gold Valves. Definitely so if I lived in So. Cal (which I do) because if Race Tech services my forks the Gold Valve and Emulator is only another $160. If you are not near Race Tech, you might consider just having your local shop service the forks and put in new springs. My reasoning is that you cannot convert a Race Tech damping rod back to stock because it has new holes drilled into it, so unless your 100,000K+ bike attracted a savvy buyer, you might find it harder to sell because the newbie might be afraid that you disabled the anti-dive valve.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It probably wouldn't wobble if you ran a motorcycle tire on the back!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I doubt it would add a dollar to your resale value..as most add-ons are..
save your bucks for the new ride.....

cosmic

S

·
0 Posts
Tom you could always remove the Traxxion set up and put it on a new Wing .

·
Registered
23 Posts
traxxion or oem

Hello,
This is my first post but i have been reading for months. I have an 06
6500 miles, I purchased it from a guy that did not ride much, the tires on this wing were so cupped i have never seen any thing like it, after 35 years of seat time on bikes. Long story short we picked this wing up checked tire pressure etc and brought it home on the way we hit a dip in
the asphault and the suspention bottomed out the way it sounded i thought somthing broke.

I do not know how every one feels about spending the money on this
full monty but i for one am out of here next thursday to get it installed
Tampa to Woodstock Ga. should be a good ride any way.

I had a 00 K 1200 Lt and it was a cool bike till parking lot speeds full of fuel and luggage and my wife that bike is way to top heavy and tall
and i am 6'0. So BY By Bmer..

I do not think i will ever get rid of this wing but if i do this upgrade will help the resale value.

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just like anything you add it is not a investment!
That being said for around $300 you can do the racetech springs and valves.
For about $125 you can do the traxion springs then add a little for bushings seals and oil. I'll bet you think your riding a new bike.
You might also be do for the all balls stem bearings.
If youv'e made it this long on stock you will be more then pleased with the springs bushings and a stem bearing.
I have the racetech valves and traxion springs and it works real good, I did not try the springs alone but I bet they are 100x better then the stock set up!
Yes you are right you get nothing back for add ons. Who did this work for you? I am very interested.
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
denali

This winter I rebuilt the front forks and put in progressive springs, alls balls bearings and the bike rides better than new. I have 40k on and she corners like on rails.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,789 Posts
If I were looking to buy a used Wing, a Traxxion Wing would be much more desirable than a stock Wing....after having a Traxxion Wing a stock Wing just wouldn't do it for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts