GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Anybody has instructions how to swap out clutch plates on GL1800. My start to slip badly during stop & go in heavy traffic (engine get very hot and the fan comes on the whole time but not overheat). Open throttle, engine rev up but clutch not engage fully and thus gear lag way behind the engine rpm

Under normal riding condition, it seems to be fine. I've been using Mobile 1 15w50 Gold cap. When the clutch start to slip, I change to use Amsoil 10w40, but it does not seem to curve the problem.

I had done this before with my VTX1800 using MTC high performance clutch kit sold through HDL. Is there a good equivalant clutch kit for GW? or do I have to use the OEM ones?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
sounds like the oil seal or valve is not working properly...chuck

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have you changed the clutch fluid recently? The correct DOT # too, so as not to have swollen seals. I have experienced that the older fluid would not release the clutch as quick as the handle is released at the grip.
Just a thought. Easier & quicker than the clutch pack.
Keep us posted.
Bob D.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I did change the clutch & brakes fluid @12500 miles (now 18,700 miles) using Valvoline DOT4 synthetic.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
resque2-

While you're stopped are you making sure you're holding the clutch lever fully to the handgrip? If not, perhaps the clutch plates are heating up and starting to fade.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Goldwingfreak said:
WARRANTY???????
Ditto! You have an '05 with a slipping clutch. Either you abuse the clutch or something has gone wrong and needs warranty repair.

·
Registered
42 Posts
KG Clutch Factory Pro Kevlar Friction Disc Set

Anyone used these plates? KG Clutch Factory Pro Kevlar Friction Disc Set

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
Can you adjust clutch ??? No way should it be slipping .

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Just a WAG, check the clutch fluid reservoir for a slight over fill. If not enough air gap on top to allow for expansion of fluid when hot ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
10 year-old thread back on the platter. The OE clutch plates are excellent and typically serve the bike's lifetime if driven reasonably with proper motor oil and hydraulic fluid. Like Ironhorse noted above, as the plates do wear, the hydraulic fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir rises, opposite of brake wear. Take care to not over fill the reservoir.

prs

·
Banned
403 Posts
I went to chrome nonadjustable levers three years ago this just started happening

This is the house of OEM. meaning no one would dare try anything other then OEM parts lol.

Send me a PM with contact info, I know a guy who can help you.:smile2:

He's helped me a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I went to chrome nonadjustable levers three years ago this just started happening

Do you still have the stock lever? If so, might try putting it back on see if that changes how it acts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to change my clutch at 28,000 ,08 GL1800 started slipping when hot . tried to bleed , change fluid. nothing worked . had to replace everything. Not easy job so had dealer do it $1600. I replaced clutch on VTX1800, that wasn't
bad..

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
If it has slipped very much at all, it is toast regardless the root cause.

prs

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you used Mobil 1 auto oil it will cause the clutch to start slipping then it is toast. Use only oil designed for motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
This is a POST from 2006.
Yes, the Original Post is 10 years old. However, dealben1961 appended his current issue to this thread at post #8.

It probably would have been better to start a new thread for the new issue. As a moderator, that is something I could have "fixed", but instead tried to make a suggestion to possibly help him. My bad.:wink2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts