GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: What's your thoughts of what would make the back end of my trike sway? How much air do you run in your shocks?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Gib, I am not a wrench and know little about the makeup of my Motor Trike. My installer did tell me to come in at 600 and 2500 miles to check all nuts. He said they do work loose. He took my rear wheels off after putting the trike up on a stand and checked all nuts for tightness. Some needed snugged up...not real loose, but sure not tight. You can reach most if not all of the nuts on the trike chassis with the wheels off. It should not sway at all. Mine is like a rock. You will get much more detailed info from this board...some of these guys are very knowledgable...good luck.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
What do you mean by swaying??? Moving , sitting still , up and down side to side. Give the best description of what it is doing. What Make is the Trike Kit?

More Info:

I

·
0 Posts
KJ5IX said:
What do you mean by swaying??? Moving , sitting still , up and down side to side. Give the best description of what it is doing. What Make is the Trike Kit?

More Info:
George:

He asks how much air to run in the shocks. I assume therefore that he has a Motor Trike. Maybe other kits use air shocks also. I don't know. My Champion sure doesn't..thankfully. And my rear end doesn't sway :lol:

That said, I know several Motor trike riders, and I don't think their back ends sway either. Something wrong. Sorry...no idea...unless something is loose. Is your rear tire pressure up to spec.???

Ride safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George, It sways side to side :roll: and it is a motor trike kit just installed this January on my 02 Goldwing. It has airbags and shocks. So if anybody has similar to this, how much air do you run in yours? The wheels are fine as far as the lugnuts are tight.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Gib;

Same time frame as my 02 being converted.

Did you do the 1000 and 2500 mile maint? Basically #3.
This is from the MT Maint Sheet. No 1 dealt with Drum brakes.

2. Grease rear universal joint every 5,000 or when the oil is changed.

3. Inspect and tighten all jam nuts. Make sure a medium grade loctite is used.

4. Grease two swing arm pins on the shoulder where ladder bars rest every 24 months or every 15,000 miles. Also remove the front motorcycle U joint and repack splines, front and rear. Use high quality lithium grease.

5. Use a dry silicon spray to protect heim joint from wear. (3M makes this product and can be purchased at any auto supply store.)

6. The lug nut torque for the Roadhawk billet aluminum wheels is 70-85 ft. lbs. for ½ stud size.

7. Tire pressure for riding around town should be 18-24 lb. depending on geographic location and road conditions. Tire pressure for the front tire should be 42 lb.

8. You have a suspension that uses two coil over gas shocks and two air bags. The correct air pressure for the air bag is 20 lbs. with driver only. Two people would be 35 lbs and up. If you are pulling a trailer with two people, you would use 50 lbs and up.

9. Fender Bras: It is OK for your fender bras to get wet. However, you must remove them when you are finished riding for the day. If you leave wet fender bras on your trike, the paint underneath could blister and peel. Dry the fender bras and dry the body before reinstalling.

Now from what you said it sounds like the Ladder Bars are loose, and the Hiem bars Left and Right and Cross could have backed off some also. This can be checked by lifting on the finders up and down. If they are loose any you will hear some clicking or things moving. Also if you push on the finders at the wheel well to the side there should not be any appreciable movement in the frame, you will feel it or hear it if there is. Do that on both sides.

To check the Ladder Bars you will have to jack it up and put it on jack stands, or the center stand if you can get it up that high. If you put it on the center stand be absolutely sure that it is up against something solid or chocked very very well. I personally use jack stands and have the small floor jack on the center of the differential with pressure. Any way jack it up and take off the wheels. Check all the bolts that you can see or find. The nuts on the Hiem Joints at the bars should not be loose. If they are you are going to have an adjustment problem, and will have to contact MT for the correct procedure, but I bet they will tell you to take it to an installer for that.

Air Shocks:

I reset my coil over shocks from the standard #2 position up to the #4 position for extra height in the rear, not an easy thing to do if you don't have a shock tool. I also run 2 up with 25 or 30 lbs. Pulling a trailer I haven't raised it any either, and I have a heavy tongue at times.

I hope this is of some help, and you do know that the Warranty is 3 years or 60K. I would think about going to the installer for a cure or calling MT, especially if your not the wrench type.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help, George. :) Guess I'll run it back to the dealer since we never got this list of things to check like you listed and before it gets any worse. Just does it a bit, but wanna catch it now. Did you get that list from your dealer or did Motor Trike send it out?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I called MT, and they sent it to me on Word format. If you send me an email or a PM with your email address I will forward it to you. It is the above with #1 being about the old original drum brakes. It wouldn't hurt to call them and get a few hints on what you can and should do. If your installer is close he should do it under warranty, but I would check first.

C

·
0 Posts
KJ5IX said:
I called MT, and they sent it to me on Word format. If you send me an email or a PM with your email address I will forward it to you. It is the above with #1 being about the old original drum brakes. It wouldn't hurt to call them and get a few hints on what you can and should do. If your installer is close he should do it under warranty, but I would check first.
All this talk about heim joints and stuff...
Is there a picture diagram showing all of this stuff.
Perhaps if MT would take a picture of a unit with the body removed we could see these various parts.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have the air compressor and air shocks. They work great. I run 20# in the rear riding alone and 30# with the wife. I run 41# in the front tire. I have no shake or sway at any speed. Something is not tight if it sways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

Took the trike to the dealer and he put on all new bolts and said some were loose and he couldn't believe he didn't put lock tight on them when he put it together, :roll: so new bolts and locktite and more air than I had been running in the shocks and it's fine now. Thanks for all your help, guys. Any ideas you can get on this board are sure helpful.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
cjmitch said:
KJ5IX said:
All this talk about heim joints and stuff...
Is there a picture diagram showing all of this stuff.
Perhaps if MT would take a picture of a unit with the body removed we could see these various parts.

Here go Carl.

These are what the Heim looks like there are several under the body. Not real hard to get at but you have to jack it up to do it. I use Red Lithium and a brush instead of spray silicon, it stays longer..

I sent you the full sized photos to your email.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts