GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sweat a lot and am in the market for a new helmet. Which helmet has the best ventilation? Also would a buzz cut haircut help?

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
a "doo rag" or "sliks cap" under the helmet

(over the head) ... works great

most would not wear sneakers without socks..
... think of a doo rag or sliks cap as a sock for your helmet.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I use a SLIKS cap both summer and winter. Warmer in winter and cooler in summer. I also recommend a haircut like mine..as seen in my avatar.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sweating Head

I have always had that problem, and I started wearing a do-rag thing under my helmet to absorb the sweat and keep the helmet interior cleaner. Last year I got a Shoei 3/4 hellmet and had much less sweat. Once, on a hot day, I wet the do-rag before i went on a ride, and was amazed that after about 30 minutes the do-rag had dried out.
The Shoei hellmet was more expensive than the helmets I had been wearing, but it is easily worth it.
I would suppose the ventilation on any of the Shoei helmets is the same, but I dion't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A light colored helmet will help in the sweat and heat department.
Short hair is also a big help.

I have a silver Scorpion exo 700 full face and the air flow is very good. Also the entire liner is removable, so it can be washed.

I have found the Slik liner to increase the heat, as it will not let the air flow to my head. They are great for keeping a helmet smelling good, as they can be washed.
This is just my opinion after wearing one. YMMV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shoie X-11

I use a full face helmet, Shoie X-11. The best ventilation ever, IMHO.

Normally these helmets cost close to $600, but since the recent introduction of the X-12 ( I read the X-12's ventilation was not as good :shrug: ) the remaining X-11's can be bought at several places on line for $329 - $369 depending on color.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you shave your head it works well until it starts growing out but then it's like trying to pull apart velcro to get the helmet off of the stubble. So you have to wear your helmet a while longer until the hair grows enough to be flexible. :eek:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
If you shave your head it works well until it starts growing out but then it's like trying to pull apart velcro to get the helmet off of the stubble. So you have to wear your helmet a while longer until the hair grows enough to be flexible. :eek:
Or you can shave your head every day like I do. ;)

I also use a Sliks cap. It does help keep the helmet cleaner and they are comfortable.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Shoei 1100 it hass the most vents, removeable/washable liner and wear a Slic:thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Of course the 3/4 helmets let in more air, but also more noise, and less crash protection

I had a arai classic that was a nice helmet, good air flow

I had a n42 nolan with the two shields, nice helmet but very warm, poor air vents, couldnt notic ea differnce from open to closed

I now have a xd-3 Arai, dual sport helmet, real good protection and air venting, long top visor almost cuts out the need for sun glasses, very quiet, but it does fog up on rainy humid days

Arai seems to fit my melon perfectly

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have always had that problem, and I started wearing a do-rag thing under my helmet to absorb the sweat and keep the helmet interior cleaner. Last year I got a Shoei 3/4 hellmet and had much less sweat. Once, on a hot day, I wet the do-rag before i went on a ride, and was amazed that after about 30 minutes the do-rag had dried out.
The Shoei hellmet was more expensive than the helmets I had been wearing, but it is easily worth it.
I would suppose the ventilation on any of the Shoei helmets is the same, but I dion't know for sure.
That's because you live in Kansas, If you do that where I live you will have mildew in about the same time and your head will smell like a very old sock.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Of course the 3/4 helmets let in more air, but also more noise, and less crash protection

I had a arai classic that was a nice helmet, good air flow

I had a n42 nolan with the two shields, nice helmet but very warm, poor air vents, couldnt notic ea differnce from open to closed

I now have a xd-3 Arai, dual sport helmet, real good protection and air venting, long top visor almost cuts out the need for sun glasses, very quiet, but it does fog up on rainy humid days

Arai seems to fit my melon perfectly
I also have a nolan 102 or 103 and am very dissapointed with the lack of ventilation, but like the communications.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
A light colored helmet will help in the sweat and heat department.
Studies have shown that color really makes little difference in interior temperature for a person's head. Between the insulation and comfort padding the temperature difference is pretty much nil. Best bet is to open the ventilation tabs on the helmet. Some are better in this ventilation area than others.

DaleC

1 - 18 of 18 Posts