GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few moons ago someone posted that their swingarm bolt was loose off the show room (14-22 on your Manual). I asked the Honda service to get a the special tool so I can check the torque on mine.
(80lbs, tool: 07zMA-MCAA101)

I am wondering if having a swingarm bolt not quite torqued correctly may have anything to do with the Wing feeling a bit uncertain at 80mph with a 180/70 tire. I have noted some claim their bike rides just as stable with the 60 as it does with the 70. Unfortunately, mine is one of the unstable ones at high speed...

S

·
0 Posts
I kinda doubt it unless it's been loose enough to hammer out the bearings .

Besides Nan , what do you expect when you hit the nitrous button ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
After reading on this board about changing the rear to a 70 series, I just happened to be at a Rally where the Dunlop tire rep took a 60 series and a 70 series tire and put his weight on each unmounted tire. The 70 series had way more sidewall movement than the 60. He said they will move around at speed.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Nando asked me about this in a PM. I think ANY source of sspension looseness would casue odd handling and wobbeling. The swing arm should have no free-board and no binding either. It is supposed to have a reasonable pre-load placed upon the bearings by the LEFT pivot.

prs

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Nando,

Go ride someones with a 70 on it... I have been running 70 series or larger tires since 2001.. Don't find any instablilties at speed. But then again I don't find any instabilities at 80 mph on gravel either.

That tire salesman should of put air pressure in the two tires and then tested. Of course, anything with a longer moment will move easier than the smaller moment.

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KA7W,
Now I know it is your memory that is faulting...

You and I were running 70 tires even before the invasion of the naysayers...in fact, take some ginseng and try to remember that was one of the issues that started the war...common Tommy, try to remember. :oops:

IF THEN,
Many think the wall of the 70 is what cause instability at high speed. It that was the case, then why some do not experience it?

I am not sure jumping on and down on a tire constitute a mechanical postulate we live by...that's ridiculous.

Tom, the reason why you may not experience instability is because you have only done 130mph on the Wing...I meant, at high speeds...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ok, if you don't like my first explanation from the Dunlop rep.

Try this, put two motorcycles side by side with a 60 series and a 70 series, put them on the center stand, let all the air out, lower and ride off.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Ok, if you don't like my first explanation from the Dunlop rep.

Try this, put two motorcycles side by side with a 60 series and a 70 series, put them on the center stand, let all the air out, lower and ride off.
Well, I put 8000 miles on a 70 series E III while it was completely flat. Oh yeah, 5 of the 8 were riding 2 up and pulling a trailer. That's part of the reason I went to a CT.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigLefti,
I don't want to burst your bubble, but many guys who take the road (long asphaltian slabbing) on a CT, loaded, make about 10k....give or take. The middle wears fast.

There are no adequate tires for touring with a Wingabego loaded to the gilt....none!

Wolf has been known to tear tires up MC tires in 4-5k driving like a maniac. Darksiders have shown pics of CT torn/shreded on the sidewalls hot-roding around the hills...

In my view, no one makes a viable tire for what the Wing is designed to do: Tour....carrying stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts