GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GL1800. Both of the switch housings need to come off to see why the MUTE switch on one and the REVERSE switch on the other stick.
Being I am tall I don't miss the reverse and I can get around the mute by just turning the volume down. The new owner might not like this as much. Need to think about selling as I have all but quit riding. Started a new hobby a few years back that keeps me at the airport rather than riding.

What surprises are in store when I take those switch housing apart? I am mechanically capable; just wondering if there are any BIG surprises. Had the switch housing off a number of time on my old Harley Electra Glide ... nothing to it.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
476 Posts
sticking switches

The clusters for both switch assemblies are a real pain to remove disassemble clean and re-assemble. If you decide to attempt it,do it inside a large zip lock type bag to keep from losing parts. I would try using a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up the housing while cycling the switch. Spray with wd-40 or contact cleaner too after cycling the switch if they free up.

Billy

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a 2004 GL1800. Both of the switch housings need to come off to see why the MUTE switch on one and the REVERSE switch on the other stick.
Being I am tall I don't miss the reverse and I can get around the mute by just turning the volume down. The new owner might not like this as much. Need to think about selling as I have all but quit riding. Started a new hobby a few years back that keeps me at the airport rather than riding.

What surprises are in store when I take those switch housing apart? I am mechanically capable; just wondering if there are any BIG surprises. Had the switch housing off a number of time on my old Harley Electra Glide ... nothing to it.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
If you do a seach on contact cleaner on control button
If you scroll down the thread a ways ,he takes the back side of switch off ,it looks fairly simple
That's what I am going to try
Your not taking the switch completely apart

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
,he takes the back side of switch off ,it looks fairly simple
That's what I am going to try
Your not taking the switch completely apart
When you take the back side off, the rest pretty much falls apart or flies god knows where!!!
You want to put the switch into a plastic bag BEFORE removing the back.
You might want to start with the 4-way flasher. On my '03' i removed the complete panel with the switch, then removed the switch before disassembling it.
I have done all my switches, with the exception of the mute. I started on it one day, then decided the disassembly to get to it wasn't worth the effort.

Reactions: BlueBlazer49

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Short time ago someone on here recommended using contact cleaner in a hypodermic syringe, well my cruise control switch haven’t been working 100% for years so I tried his trick and my cruise switch has been working perfect ever since with no disassembly required, just sick the needle inside the crack next to the switch and squirt the fluid in. You can go to any Walmart pharmacy and buy a bag of syringes for about $5 no prescription needed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short time ago someone on here recommended using contact cleaner in a hypodermic syringe, well my cruise control switch haven’t been working 100% for years so I tried his trick and my cruise switch has been working perfect ever since with no disassembly required, just sick the needle inside the crack next to the switch and squirt the fluid in. You can go to any Walmart pharmacy and buy a bag of syringes for about $5 no prescription needed.
I'm going to give this a try. Not having to take anything apart would be a better option ... if it works.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a can of CRC 2-26 electrical contact cleaner. This is plastic safe, so you don't melt the switch housings. Use the long stem and spray in around the switches, operating them as you spray. I've used this on both bikes and it works great. A good spray at the beginning of the season generally keeps everything working all year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts