GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've heard of that wobble, but never experienced it myself. I had a 14 Ultra Limited and never had a wobble, but I believe it could be because the steering head bearings may have lost some torque and were loose.
I know my 05 GL1800 I had, would wobble because the steering bearings would loosen up until I replaced them with the tappered All Balls bearings. Bike rode great after that.
Enjoy you Goldwing, they are great bikes. I ride mine every day if I get the chance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got the wobble on my 14 FLHXS and it was the steering head bearings. Went out at 30,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All My bearings were checked prior to and after the accident, nothing wrong with them. I maintained the thing meticulously. It was a violent shaking in the front end. I had time for one thought, I'm not coming out of this one. It is a design flaw end of story. Anyone can defend them who wants I know what happened to me. I ride a bit, over 100,000 miles on 3 electraglides. There is nothing in the world could get me on another one of those

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I had a 2001 ElectraGlide Classic, a 2002 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic, a 2008 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic, a 2010 ElectraGlide Ultra Limited, and a 2012 RoadGlide Ultra, and NEVER experienced a wobble. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I am saying it's never happen to me. Each one of those mounts were completely stable at highway speeds, and I rode at least 40,000+ miles on each ride.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Anyway, I did not put this on to argue with anyone how great harleys are.

Just wanted to say I now have a gold wing and am looking forward to riding it.
Have got a lot of good info from this forum.
I was not making an argument as to how great Harley's are. I was merely stating that on my four older Harleys, I had not experienced the problems you had with your 2014 Harley. Good Luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Besides an '03 Goldwing, I've also got a '98 Road King Classic in my garage, and just last year, after well over 100K miles on her, got the wobbles. Traced it down to an uneven amount of fork oil in the forks (one had been leaking ever so slightly). Serviced and refilled them and haven't had a problem since. But it was a scary thing, taking her up to speed again, hoping it was fixed!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interesting thread. Im a youngster compared to a lot of you 2-wheeled patriarch types. So far, Ive racked up 200K road miles across several rode bikes and enduros. Knock on wood, Ive never experienced an accident on tarmac, but Ive sure had a few close calls from distracted drivers that deserve some prison time. A close friend experienced wobbles on two meticulously maintained low mileage HD's. Bearings, forks, tires, balance, frame inspections, brakes, drive-line road tests to try to replicate the problem all fell short. So many eyes have picked through the problem (including repeated trips to a respected HD mega dealership, several aircraft mechanics and custom builders) but could not identify the cause. The cause(s) should be finite, so whats the problem??? The worst part about any serious mechanical issue that jeopardizes safety is when the threat can not be identified or reproduced until it suddenly reappears again at the worst possible moment. Speed, road surface, weight and balance, tire pressure, gremlins, throttle position, road grade, slope??? NOPE!

Im not picking on HD, and I like ALL bikes for different reasons. I love reading about other peoples positive experiences, which makes me feel connected with many of my own. But the HD death wobble seems to pop up far more than most Ive read about. Is it because there are so many more HD's on the road? Craigslist is completely jammed packed with them for sale, and they all seem to sit until their adds expire. Only to pop up again a few months later to repeat the no-sale process. You guys be the judge, I'll bring the pop-corn!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Congrats on your new wing, just glad you got to stay above ground.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, thank God I never had that death wobble on my 2014 Limited. Loved the bike but test rode the wing and on turn 3 i was in love

·
Registered
432 Posts
Had a new 2014 1200 Sportster Custom. Nice bike for riding solo but not great if the wife wanted to come along. No wobble on mine but it did develop an engine rattle that I couldn't figure out. Didn't get a warm and fuzzy feel about going far after that. Once the new wing came out the Harley was traded in. That was my first and last venture into the Harley world.....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interesting thread. Im a youngster compared to a lot of you 2-wheeled patriarch types. So far, Ive racked up 200K road miles across several rode bikes and enduros. Knock on wood, Ive never experienced an accident on tarmac, but Ive sure had a few close calls from distracted drivers that deserve some prison time. A close friend experienced wobbles on two meticulously maintained low mileage HD's. Bearings, forks, tires, balance, frame inspections, brakes, drive-line road tests to try to replicate the problem all fell short. So many eyes have picked through the problem (including repeated trips to a respected HD mega dealership, several aircraft mechanics and custom builders) but could not identify the cause. The cause(s) should be finite, so whats the problem??? The worst part about any serious mechanical issue that jeopardizes safety is when the threat can not be identified or reproduced until it suddenly reappears again at the worst possible moment. Speed, road surface, weight and balance, tire pressure, gremlins, throttle position, road grade, slope??? NOPE!

Im not picking on HD, and I like ALL bikes for different reasons. I love reading about other peoples positive experiences, which makes me feel connected with many of my own. But the HD death wobble seems to pop up far more than most Ive read about. Is it because there are so many more HD's on the road? Craigslist is completely jammed packed with them for sale, and they all seem to sit until their adds expire. Only to pop up again a few months later to repeat the no-sale process. You guys be the judge, I'll bring the pop-corn!

You're right, the HD dealer in Meridian is quite the mega dealership and the people there are very, very friendly. Had never been in there nor had I ever ridden a Harley because I've been a Goldwing rider all of my touring life, but decided to stop by a couple days ago. Of course I was cornered by a salesman and during our conversation about the batwing faring on their $47k CVO flagship (which I think is a beautiful looking bike) he told me it has a tendency to wobble at high speed vs the faring on what I think was called the Street Glide/bagger. (I get lost in the FLxxx model designations). I'm not saying this to disparage HD's, I just was perplexed as to why such a fine looking machine as this touring bike would have this issue.

I see you're in Boise, I'm next door in Eagle.

·
Registered
711 Posts
After being almost killed last fall by my 2014 Harley Ultra Limited that got the death shake at 65 MPH for no reason,

I just bought a new 2018 Touring DCT.
So looking forward to riding a bike that has current technology instead of 1980s and that don't try to kill you for no reason.
Do you remember what you did when the wobble happened? Rear brake and no gas would be my reflexive actions I think (I still have my FLHTCU).

1 - 20 of 83 Posts