GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serviced the bike today and used Amsoil for the first time. Previous oil was Mobile 1 red cap. It's amazing the difference in shifting that it made.
The gears go "click" instead of "clunk" I love it......Now lets see if they still go "click in a couple thousand miles.
If you use Amsoil how often do you change oil?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I noticed a difference that you mentioned when I went to full synthetic. As far as the oil changes goes, I still do mine every 4k. Small price to pay for piece of mind, or at least what I have left. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
KC I will go 10,000 mile this year on the Amsol oil. If all goes well I will go 12,000 next year. Amsoil say's 25,000 but I will have to work up to that.--Larry

·
Registered
15 Posts
K.C., I changed to Amsoil after using the Honda synthetic blend for about 20,000 miles. The Honda oil gave me smooth shifting for the first 1200 to 1500 miles, but it then got progressively more "clunky" until the next oil change. With Amsoil, the shifting remains smooth, and I'm changing at 5,000 miles instead of 4,000. I thank Don Stefanik, whom I've never met, for making us all aware of the advantages of Amsoil.

Bob D.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This is from the AMSOIL web site.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/amf.htm

"SERVICE LIFE "

"Change AMSOIL High Performance Synthetic Motorcycle Oil according to manufacturer's recommendations, without oil filtration. With oil filtration (AMSOIL SDF Filter), up to 2 times longer than manufacturer's recommendations or 6 months, whichever comes first. If a Hastings or other filter is used, filter should be changed at manufacturer's recommendations. "

From my 10 years experience with all the other AMSOIL products I know that their recomendations are on the conservative side.

I changed mine at 10,000km......6200miles the first time even though Honda says 8000 miles, it just so happened that mine went in for the ECM change and so I thought I might as well have them do a complete service on it.

I'll probably go the whole season this year, and change the filter mid way through the summer. I'll also take a sample at the end of the season when I change it out and send it away for analysis. Just to have the documentation the same as I have on my big diesel tractors.
Don

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don for the info on Amsoil...I ordered it from your website using your # . It came in about 4 days, almost as fast as the filters I ordered from Hal.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just because the oil says you can go extended miles doesn't mean you should. There's no way I'd run any oil over 6000 miles simply because it gets dirty. I just changed mine yesterday at 5800 miles and it was black as coal.

Just throwing out something else to consider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as your throwing it out...I have used Amsoil for a very long time. My work jeep has 150,000 miles and I use 0-30 and it gets changed once a year and filters twice a year, my Grand Cherokee has almost 100,000 on the 318 and service interval is the same. The 02 GL1800 gets 8-to ten thousand with filter changes also. I have gotten tired of sending in my oil for analysis because it comes back just fine everytime. A complete understanding of Amsoil is necessary to feel comfortable with these service intervals. I started slow with smaller intervals and built up from there. I used Amsoil on my 1500 so service interval was a no brainer on the 1800. My work cherokee has been in service for 13 years and I will compare that motor to any work motor with similiar mileage. Now.....my T-800 Kenworth uses Shell Rotella a conventional oil (I like the way it runs in my Cummins & I trust Rotella) however it gets changed every 8000 to 9000 thousand with no exception because conventional oil DOES BREAK DOWN AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR EXTENDED INTERVALS. Your interval sounds just fine at 6000 miles...I might even suggest slightly less based on my passed experience with other oils. Here is my bottom line by choice...I have to used extended intervals because changing 52 quarts of oil every three months or so will bury me & Amsoil came through for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use Amsoil in both of my bikes, aGL1500SE ( that I am trading in next week for a 2004) with 70,000 miles and a 2001 Kawasaki Nomad FI. I change my oil once a year and change filters ( Amsoil filters) every 6,000 miles. So far not a single problem. I started doing this after some advice from a friend who has been doing this on his 1988 GL1500. By the way my friends bike has over 150,000 miles and still runs as good as new. Amsoil rocks. Oh, I also use Amsiol oil and filters in my 2001 Ford Explorer.

S

·
0 Posts
I just changed to Amzoil in the bike. I took it for a short ride to compare.
With regular 10-30 the bike ran fine, warm and dry. Now with Amzoil it runs fine, cold and wet.

With regular oil it was September and sunny and with Amzoil it is March and raining - that may be the difference I guess.

Other than that .............

·
Registered
29 Posts
amsoil

Have used Amsoil for 5 years now in all my vehicles. Did the lab testing on the 1800 at 8,000 and 16,000. Oil was still serviceable. Change filter at 8,000 and oil and filter at 16,000. This equate to 1 oil change a year. As for the car and truck, Filter at 6 months and Oil and filter at 12 months. No oil consumption even after 3000 to Daytona and back pulling a trailer. Amsoil rocks. Rick

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
We use Amsoil in my garage. Thanks to Don, I have managed to try out lots of the Amsoil products.

Oil can be like ice cream, which do you like, which one satisfies you the most, and which one does the best job. I prefer Breyers Choc or Rocky Road, but that is another story.

Since I changed over to Amsoil, I have never looked back. I use Amsoil products in all my power equipment, and I like the results.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Don / Bulldog / et al...
I've been using Amsoil synthetic oil in my bikes for some time
now and can't imagine using anything else in the new Wing.
I want to go synthetic in the final drive as well and wonder which
Amsoil you recommend? As you know, he "book" calls for 80w hypoid.
Would you use the 75w90 or the 80w90???
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil

I'm gonna run shell rotella t 5w40 no longer than 4k miles. My bike will use 1/2 quart in that period, so instead of addding 1/2 quart, i will simply change it.
JD

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
DK,

What Don says. Drop on over to my house and I will change it for you.....LOL A messy job, but necessary.
I have everything that you need.

Bulldog

·
Registered
14 Posts
amsoil filters

Is it absolutely necessary to use Amsoil filters with their oil?
Will using the Amsoil filters and Amsoil oil void any factory warranties?
I only have 3000 miles on my 02 and would like to change to Amsoil but I am concerned about the break in of the engine. Any advice is greatlly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jerry Pare

S

·
0 Posts
Fleet Farm is a good place to buy - $4.95 qt.
They have Fram and Puralator filters for the same price of $4.95

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey KC.......Good choice!!

I also changed over from Mobil 1 and not only did the shifting improve, but, the oil temp dropped by 20 deg on a 25 mile ride that I do every day. I am a believer.

As far as service intervals go, I still use honda OEM filters and change at 4000 miles. It's cheap enough and I like clean oil. Just because you can leave it in longer doesn't mean you have to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts