GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week as I was riding home from work at night, I was on a dark stretch of road and switched from lo to hi beam headlights, and the headlights went completely out. No light ahead so I enabled the fog lights. I moved the headlights toggle back to low beam. After some time, a few minutes, the low beam comes on. Strange...
I toggled back to high beam and the lights went out again...stranger.

Any help? I'm gonna lube/clean the starter/reverse switch today. But if it's anything else please let me know.

The Guvnah
USAF 23 years...and still going...

·
Registered
261 Posts
If the headlights start acting funny try putting your thumb on the starter button and gently wiggling it up and down without pushing in.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
The ONLY connection that can affect all four headlamps is the start button. The HI relay, LO relay and the LEFT HI BULB all work through the start button.

:fullsize:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow!

That sounds like a very disturbing event. Glad you didn't have serious consequences. I'm afraid if that happens to me on some of the roads I ride I might not be so lucky. And the fact that it's an 06 machine also adds to my anxiety. But thanks for the warning and the solution to try to avoid this situation.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
:bow:Great info!
The ONLY connection that can affect all four headlamps is the start button. The HI relay, LO relay and the LEFT HI BULB all work through the start button.

:fullsize:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Agree its probably the starter button. Make sure its completely pulled out when this happens. To check after starting gently push in on the button just a tad and see if the lights go off and stay off then pull back out. Take Waldo's advice and clean it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts