GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 GL1800 and I am installing a trunk light. What I am using is 2 high density LED strips and and a Magnetic Proximity switch mounted on the lid. I want to tap into the rear running lights for power as a couple of 10" LED strips should consume hardly any power. I have the Trunk side covers and lower cover off and have Multi-Conductor plug C45 exposed (by the latch levers). I'm trying to find a wiring diagram so I can use a couple of Posi-Tap connectors to run power for my light from. I've searched but I'm not turning anything useful up yet. Any suggestions or should I be looking to tap power from another source?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't you want to have a light in your trunk without having to turn on your key? You have it switched already with the proximity switch. I wired mine unswitched and have a manual on/off toggle switch to turn on when I need light. Sorry I can not help you with where to find the power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you with the light functioning without the key. I was worried about the switch malfunctioning and draining my battery. For the few times that I would need it when going out at night I could leave the key in for a minute.

I have access to the tail lights and the trunk lock system wiring. and I'm trying to find out the best place to tap into the harness. My manual it seems does not have pin-out diagrams for the Multi-conductor plugs at least not that I can find. My first wing so I am still learning the roadmap for how everything is laid out. I don't mind taking my time to do this right. So I'll keep searching.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,363 Posts
I hear you with the light functioning without the key. I was worried about the switch malfunctioning and draining my battery. For the few times that I would need it when going out at night I could leave the key in for a minute.

I have access to the tail lights and the trunk lock system wiring. and I'm trying to find out the best place to tap into the harness. My manual it seems does not have pin-out diagrams for the Multi-conductor plugs at least not that I can find. My first wing so I am still learning the roadmap for how everything is laid out. I don't mind taking my time to do this right. So I'll keep searching.
What 2 pin connectors do you have inside the trunk lid cover? And what colors are the wires in them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the wires in the lid. I'm putting the LED light strips under the lip to the bottom trunk where they will be hidden. I put some Posi-Taps into the right side running light. We'll see how that goes. I'm in the process of wiring everything up now. Everything is mounted. We will see how it goes. A 10" double density extra bright LED strip on each side should produce enough light I think. We'll see once it's all connected.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I tapped the power in the trunk lid , than added a manual master switch to switch the power to the trunk, and both saddlebags LEDs. When the master switch is on and the trunk and/or saddlebag is open a semiconductor wired to the latch safety switches , the same ones that turns on the trunk/saddlebag icon in the dash, turns on applying power the the LEDs. This system has worked great in both my 2006 and my 2017. If I don't want the LEDs to turn on I just use the master switch to keep them off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts