GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I don't know much about Bluetooth but I like the idea of a wireless phone on the bike (please, no debates about the safety issues; save that for another thread). I also may upgrade my 2620 GPS.

1. Should I combine the two or keep them seperate?

2. What is available to me to combine these?

3. How difficult a setup am I looking at?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to upate my post, I now have the RAZR phone that is bluetooth capable. Any help with how I can use this on the bike would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
if you don't mind,I would like to ask a question on the same subject.
Do you have to keep the same brands to make Bluetooth work?
Example,can I use a Motorola headset on my Samsung Bluetooth capable phone?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The beauty of BlueTooth is that it is supposed to be device-independent. Theoretically, all BlueTooth-compatible devices should be able to communicate and pair up with each other (assuming everybody plays along and doesn't modify their protocol.)

Roy, the advantage to pairing a GPS to your phone is that the GPS becomes the primary display and user interface when they are within reach of each other.

If your phone supports it, the address book is imported to the GPS so you can access your contacts from the big screen. If you receive a call, you'll get the callerID information displayed as well.

Your phone will stay safely in your jacket pocket, trunk, etc - no physical connection needed. If you're on a call and you're ready to get off the bike, you can press a button and transfer the audio back to the phone.

With the Garmin BlueTooth GPS units, you can also pair the GPS with a BlueTooth headset so you don't even have to have a corded helmet headset. When you pair the GPS to a headset, the other GPS audio functions (MP3 or XM audio, if present) are disabled so the headset will only be used for the phone features.

If you have an existing wired headset in your helmet, you can integrate the GPS audio (music and phone output) into the bikes audio system and connect the mic signal from the intercom to the microphone input on the GPS (which transmits the audio via BlueTooth to the phone).

Currently, the Garmin 2820 and Zumo and the TomTom Rider are the only 'bike-friendly' GPS units that provide BlueTooth capabilities.

Audio integration using a Kennedy system is plug and play and will add around $250 to the cost of the unit (depending on what features you want and where you buy it).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Tom Tom Go 700 says it is bluetooth capable, but we never could get it to work with Motorola cell phones.

David M.

·
Registered
705 Posts
With the Garmin BlueTooth GPS units, you can also pair the GPS with a BlueTooth headset so you don't even have to have a corded helmet headset. When you pair the GPS to a headset, the other GPS audio functions (MP3 or XM audio, if present) are disabled so the headset will only be used for the phone features.
Jon,
I guess the question is don't you have to pair the phone to the Garmin.

If thats true, do you then pair the headset like a Jabra to the Garmin or to the phone.
Whats the sequence of invents to make it work correctly

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yes, you pair the phone to the GPS and then the headset to the GPS (if that's how you want to talk to it)

When a headset is paired and detected, the music functions are disabled.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jon,
You are a great help on these types of issues I appreciate you sharing your knowledge as i know everybody else does also.

Your comment about not hearing the music I am assuming (Bad word to use) the music you are reffering to is the MP3 player capability on the GPS. If I add a Kennedy Cell set I should be able to hear the voice instructions on the GPS and the music on the aux channel for my MP3 player.

Now To answer a phone call gooing thru the GPS I guess the only thing I have to do is hit the button on the headset or if I answer it on the GPS will it activate the Jabbra headset

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Jon. This is a big (and expensive) decision I am considering. I will mull this over for a while.

I have a corded headset right now and I like the idea of still recieving the rest of the audio through helmet, although right now I only listen to the GPS instructions and CB through the helmet. I still blast the XM over the speakers.

Thanks again.

Roy

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a corded headset right now and I like the idea of still recieving the rest of the audio through helmet, although right now I only listen to the GPS instructions and CB through the helmet. I still blast the XM over the speakers.

Thanks again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roy
If you already have the cord that formerly went to your older NON BT phone then find and or pickup a Motorola HF800 or 820 hands free unit. These small units are running 35-100$.
Charge the unit, and then plug the cell phone connector into the BT HF800 and pair the new phone. It will then work. And add additional user interface features not normally associated with your phones of the past.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't kknow if this will help or not:

I have the Garmin 2820. I use it with my Verizon phone and use the scala rider headset. Everything works through the headset EXCEPT XM radio. You can do the complete Kennedy cell set setup if you want the XM radio but will have to use a wired headset.

Using the scala headet which is bluetooth and having it and your phone paired to the 2820 you never even have to look at your phone. You press the phone button and a complete menu ucomes up including the ability to look at the numbers stored in your phone. If you receive a call it has caller ID and will either show the number or unknown or a name if it is stored in your phone. You will receive all navigation promts through the headset.

the scala headset is just a mike and one speaker that attached to your helmet with two set screws and goes on and off pretty easily.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Geogyporgy said:
I don't kknow if this will help or not:

I have the Garmin 2820. I use it with my Verizon phone and use the scala rider headset. Everything works through the headset EXCEPT XM radio. You can do the complete Kennedy cell set setup if you want the XM radio but will have to use a wired headset.
George..can you listen to the MP3 player too?

Ed

·
Registered
705 Posts
Geogyporgy,

Thanks for the info went up to the Cardo website very interesting group of products. Much more interested in the regular adapter (700 series than the Rider), has windguard and the eyeglass clip with 9 hrs of talk time, very nice stuff. I plan to use this in the car probably more than the bike.

I was looking for a contact number to call, but to no avail. I can't determine if the stand alone adapters provide the same capability as the Rider you described, if so my order will be entered in the morning

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
ED norton(CT) said:

Ed
No, when you pair a BlueTooth headset to the GPS, the XM and MP3 audio output is disabled. (Only phone & nav prompts are sent to the headset)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jon said:
ED norton(CT) said:

Ed
No, when you pair a BlueTooth headset to the GPS, the XM and MP3 audio output is disabled. (Only phone & nav prompts are sent to the headset)
Jon,

What happens to the CB? Does it come through the bike's speakers or the headset?

·
Registered
273 Posts
So if you pair your cell phone with the 2820, and connect the 2820 to the aux input on the bike, doesn't everything go through the aux channel of the bike? And if so, from there you can choose whether it goes through the speakers or the wing's headset?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
tequilaroy said:
Jon,

What happens to the CB? Does it come through the bike's speakers or the headset?
That qualifies as a definite 'left-field question' :)

The CB has no connection to any of the GPS/Bluetooth Phone/Bluetooth Headset discussions, so its' audio output path will depend on the position of the CB switch on the audio unit.

If you use a Bluetooth headset like the Scala Rider paired to the GPS, it will be used for cellphone communication only.

If you want to use the CB (or intercom), you're going to need to use an old-fashioned, wired headset. If you do that, you can use the Kennedy gear to connect the audio to the intercom system.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What?

Ooowww! My head hurts!
I have a Motorola bluetooth capable. If I want to have a CB, XM, Garmin, Razor, and be able to use them on my GW, what is the best (efficient) way to go? I prefer to use only bluetooth but if this is not realistic, how do I get bluetooth and hardwire to my helmet and use it all?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts