GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wearing 3/4 open face for many years I've decided to switch (or try) to a full face. Never owned one before so would appreciate any recommendations. My top criteria are: 1)quality, 2)light weight, 3)quiet.

Thank you for any recommendations,
Dan

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Might want to consider a Modular like the Shoei Multitec. Best of both worlds.

If you go with a traditional full face, you can't go wrong with Shoei or Arai as regards to quality and comfort, when you find which one fits your head the best.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Lots of high quality FF helmets and flip ups with nice features. Just need to decide what's comfortable for you. Also consider the dual-sport helmets like Shoei Hornet, Arai XD. they are full face but a larger visor area, may be closer to the feel of the 3/4 but protection of a FF. And if you already have a helmet headset system, you may want to try to get something that will accommodate your existing system if possible rather than having that additional expense of a new headset.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's another vote for the Multitec.

It doesn't feel heavy on my head. Very comfortable.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

If you go with a traditional full face, you can't go wrong with Shoei or Arai as regards to quality and comfort, when you find which one fits your head the best.
Modular helmets have some advantages and some disadvantages for touring. They tend to be a little heavier, nosier, and many do not provide as much protection to the jaw and chin as a true full face. For track days I would stick with a full face.

The new Schuberth C3 http://www.schuberth.com/en/home.html?sprachwahl=true has addressed the noise and the weight issues. Other than noise the Shoei multitec is a very good helmet. It is comfortable, you can flip up the chin piece to get a drink or talk and it has good metal latches that probably are nearly as safe as a full face.

I use a Shoei Multitec and will replace it with either another Shoei Multitec or a Schuberth C3 later this year.

·
Registered
354 Posts
before you buy

depending on size I have a size med Arai if you would like to try before you buy. If you would like to pay shipping it yours to try. Silver color. cant remember the model. Has maby 50 miles of use. I just never liked it over a modular type

·
Registered
792 Posts
Shoei or Arai is all I wear.

Currently have a shelf full of RF-1100 Shoei FF.

One of the quietest, lightest, highest quality AND well ventilated helmets you can buy.

Arai is better if you have trouble getting a good fit - I'm a 'long oval' so some brands create pressure points for me.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

I just want to add: Smart move, almost half the head hits are to the jaw area and 3/4 will not protect you. It is also win win win, cooler when it is hot, warmer when it is cold, and safer all the time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am seriously considering going full (or modular) as well. A buddy of mine went down recently and had it not been for his full-face bucket, his jaw and face would have been severely screwed up. I currently wear an IS-33, which I really like, except for the increased exposure to face damage part.

Here's a non-type specific thread asking who is wearing what. I am using that plus replies here to narrow down my decision.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287921

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I have been wearing full face helmets since the late '60's when Bell Star was the only one made. Every now and then I try something else including the modular but always go back to a full face. I just feel more secure and protected with them on. Twice they have saved my life or at least kept me from becoming a vegetable.

Currently I am wearing a Scorpion EXO-700 and am most pleased with it. Very quiet and comfortable. If you shop around you can find them for about half the $250 list price as did I. Even comes with an anti-fog shield. I would suggest giving them a look anyway. I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I just want to add: Smart move, almost half the head hits are to the jaw area and 3/4 will not protect you. It is also win win win, cooler when it is hot, warmer when it is cold, and safer all the time.
I agree with Bubba and I'll add... give it a chance. It didn't take me very long to get used to the full face, but there is a transition. It will feel strange at first but I got used to it in short order and I'd never go back.
Lots of good options. Even if you order online, go to a retailer/dealer and try a bunch on. Most brands are shaped slightly differently and you'll see what fits your head the best.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've got an HJC CL-16. It's comfortable and the price was good ($129) but it's fairly noisy when the shield is down.

I will probably look for something else next time around.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hoosier,
I'd also suggest you take a look at modular helmets as you make your decision. I've worn them for years--currently use a Nolan mostly, but also have an HJC. Seldom use my solid full face anymore. There are so many times that pulling up the front is all you need to do instead of taking off the helmet. Check them out.
OB

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All very helpful feedback....thanks:bow:.

Forgot to mention that what ever FF I chose I will take the little ride over to see the folks at Sierra Electronics to get fitted properly (trying on various sizes etc) and to have headsets installed.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Before I bought a FF helmet, I spent quite a while evaluating them on line.

Two models I liked for safety and weight were the Arai and the Shoei RF 1000.

The Shoei was more than $200 less than the Arai and was less than one ounce heavier.

I bought the RF 1000 and at 70 MPH collided with a deer. Deer and bike were totalled.

I suffered a lot of road rash, broken shoulder, 5 cracked ribs, damaged elbow, high ankle sprain and a ruined helmet. the helmet suffered dings, scratches (I rolled on the ground 4 times each time dragging my visor on the asphalt. The helmet was toast, but my head and face were not harmed. When I was cleared to ride I bought the newer RF 1100.

Here is a photo of my damaged helmet. That saved my life.

My story and another photo of my helmet is here. The Shoei Hall of Fame.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/HelmetHOF.aspx

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What ever you get, my 3 suggestions are fit, fit and fit. If it hurts you won't like it and probably won't wear it. Internet is cool for advice and perhaps even buying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take the time to find a good shop with several brands and styles and a person that REALLY knows how to fit one be it friend or sales person. It is a pain to find such places any more and even more a pain to find a competent person to fit it. It is definately worth the effort. Wear it in the shop for 30 minutes or so, and if there are hot spots move on.
All the venting, shields, gizmo's and gadgets are fine but it needs to be right for you. Price is not always a guage anymore either. We wear ZOX, they are inexpensive and well built and also carry all the cool certs. The liners are good and when I say you will know decent quality as soon as you get your hands on it, you will. Can't explain that one, but it won't take you long.
After that, figure out the protection level you want. DOT is fine, ECE is great to have, SNELL is the other one, look for the SNELL 2010 if you decide that route.

After you do it once you can take over from there.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but something to think about for sure.

Best wishes

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have an HJC full face but don't wear it... this post has kinda convinced me that maybe I should start wearing it... :yes1:

Common sense tells me that protection would be significantly better! :thumbup:

How do you find the heat issue with a full face in the summer? :confused:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
First & foremost...You need to try on what ever you are considering. Period!!

Just because a particular model is popular, doesn't mean it fits you correctly. A cheaper helmet that fits correctly is better than an expensive one that doesn't. If you have to mash points of the interior with a spoon back or use hammer blows to relieve a pressure point...that helmet doesn't fit you. For years and years, I've always bought size Large helmets for both on/off road use...they felt good, went on and came off easily. Had the opportunity to be fitted by a professional and found I should have been buying Medium all these years. Arai Profile (M) for my oval shaped head.

www.motowebshop.com is a great place to look at helmets...many of which are not available in the States.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

From the 1970's Bell Star 120, to expensive Arai's and Shoei's, to now my absolute favorite- the inexpensive HJC C-15 (best periph vision out there), the full-face will protect your brain the best, by preventing the jaw from being pushed up into your skull and causing serious brain injury or death.

If it's DOT approved, it is just as protective as the Snell ratings despite what Snell and the expensive ad agencies will insist you believe. When you pay hundreds for an expensive Arai, Shoei, etc. you are purchasing the same exact protection, but wrapped in fancier paint, slightly more plush interior padding, and possibly slightly better venting. THE PROTECTION IS EXACTLY THE SAME!!!, and with added periph vision like the HJC C-15 or 16, probably safer! Don't be duped by the ad agencies and fellow forum members that will swallow anything they see in an advertisement.

HJC, Scorpion, Icon, and others produce DOT approved, very safe and protective full-face units at reasonable prices. The "new" Snell rating that replaces the 2005 certification is much closer to the generic DOT standard and European certifications, after Snell was PROVEN wrong about their test methodology, and dragged kicking and screaming to the new standard because their helmets were too hard, and offered LESS protection to the brain in most "usual" accident cases... only in very high-speed race setting crashes did their helmets protect the brain better.

My 3 HJC C-15's cost me well less than $100. each mail-order, and from the studies I've read, I feel totally confident wearing them in case of a crash. The extra-wide face port gives much better vision than other brands I've tried, and is just as quiet and has better paint too than my last expensive Arai Signet-e for example. :thumbup: JMO, based on studies.

I have been wearing full face helmets since the late '60's when Bell Star was the only one made. Every now and then I try something else including the modular but always go back to a full face. I just feel more secure and protected with them on. Twice they have saved my life or at least kept me from becoming a vegetable.

Currently I am wearing a Scorpion EXO-700 and am most pleased with it. Very quiet and comfortable. If you shop around you can find them for about half the $250 list price as did I. Even comes with an anti-fog shield. I would suggest giving them a look anyway. I'm glad I did.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts