GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The part on the post of the piggy back trailer that has swivel hitch, the part that goes over the ball when connecting, is it needed? Can a regular hitch that doesn't turn or swivel work on a bike? If so, where can I get one reasonably priced? thanks Randy

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was traveling with another rider with a swivel hitch. mine isnt and works fine. he hit a large rock or something with one wheel and it flipped over on its lid. made me glad that wont happen to me. I do think (or have heard) you can get a ball that allows more rotation of the hitch. dont get the ball that tilts..... also bad news imho

·
Registered
546 Posts
Swivel hitch

I put a kit trailer together and installed swivel ( Yamaha XS1100 with crash bars.) I now have a Bushtec I tow with 1800 and It has swivel. Sometimes I camp in primitive areas with worn down 2 tracks ruts and uneven ground where you could tip over and possible bend hitch if conditions are wrong. As long as cornering or tipping over on fairly even ground a swivel isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I droped my bike with my trailer on the back once.The bike was on its side, and the trailer stayed up on both wheels fine,without the swivel hitch.

Barry
I did exactly that on my last trip with the trailer....parked on a slight incline and the bike rolled as I got off, and down it went. Wing on the crash bars, trailer sitting fine. No problems. I had a swivel early on, and removed it. Mine caused an intermittent ground fault which caused my lights to malfunction. It also always fell over to one side or the other while I was towing, was never sitting squarely on the hitch. Not needed, IMHO. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Swivel Hitch

Depends! The type of suspension has a lot to do with it. If your type of trailer has a history of roll overs, then yes it might help. I have hitch with an extended neck which allows the bike to lean without the coupler diving into the soft aluminum of the hitch ball (previous ball was the stock Rivco and has been replaced with a high quality custom ball made of steel). Even with the stock hitch I could lay the bike on the bars and not remove the trailer. If the type of trailer has no history of rollovers, then in my opinion it is not needed. I would suggest hooking it up with a regular hitch and lay it on it's side and see. Can't hurt and it might give you peace of mind but realize that most rollovers aren't simple layovers but usually involves some large bouncing moments also. I have watched my type of trailer drop off a road and back on with about a six inch drop at 60 mph and it never wiggled.

Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The part on the post of the piggy back trailer that has swivel hitch, the part that goes over the ball when connecting, is it needed? Can a regular hitch that doesn't turn or swivel work on a bike? If so, where can I get one reasonably priced? thanks Randy
No not needed!

Try Tractor Supply, and measure the tongue before hand to get the right one, there are 2 inch and 2 3/8 inch versions of the Piggy tongue.....

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
If I had a choice, I'd have the swivel hitch, simply because I would not want the trailer trying to flip me and the bike over if something were to go wrong. Having the trailer flip over is one thing....the bike needs to stay upright.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hate to throw the ball back into your quart but honestly its just personal preference. There are valid reasons for and against. I have owned both, and find that there is no difference. If I was to do it again I would go without.....comes down to the basics.....cost.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hate to throw the ball back into your quart but honestly its just personal preference. There are valid reasons for and against. I have owned both, and find that there is no difference. If I was to do it again I would go without.....comes down to the basics.....cost.
quart? like in basketball quart?

·
Administrator
3,715 Posts
Oh, give me a brake, you JUST had two put in you're too sense worth, didn't you. :lol:
This is the funniest post I've read this week!

Glen

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hit a curb with mine and the trailer rolled 360 degrees back on it's wheels. That much momemtem would have probably upset the bike. Also it was raining. glad I had my swivel on.:lol:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hit a curb with mine and the trailer rolled 360 degrees back on it's wheels. That much momemtem would have probably upset the bike. Also it was raining. glad I had my swivel on.:lol:
Trying to visualize this..Aluma trailer...you hit a curb and the trailer bounced into the air and rotated a complete 360 degrees to land back on it's wheels?
The Aluma is a fairly large sized and heavy trailer....thinking of the force required to po it in the air to roll like that.

I am having trouble imagining such a scenario....not doubting your story but just find it hard to imagine a situation where that could happen without the trailer landing or at leat hitting the sides or top and stopping the "barrel roll"

·
Registered
624 Posts
No, don't have one and have no need! :agree:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Trying to visualize this..Aluma trailer...you hit a curb and the trailer bounced into the air and rotated a complete 360 degrees to land back on it's wheels?
The Aluma is a fairly large sized and heavy trailer....thinking of the force required to po it in the air to roll like that.

I am having trouble imagining such a scenario....not doubting your story but just find it hard to imagine a situation where that could happen without the trailer landing or at leat hitting the sides or top and stopping the "barrel roll"
I don't have to imagine , it happened. We dropped off the luggage at the Hotel so the Aluma was almost empty. I turned into a 3 lane wide truck entrance but I guess I didn't see the divider curb for the rain. Wife warned me so I missed it with the bike(barely) but the left wheel of the Aluma hit the curb. I was probably running about 10 mph. Slow rolled over until it was back on it's wheels. Kinda off to the right at an angle but when the wheels landed it staightened back up. Didn't get airborn but I was dragging it on all three sides at some point. Actually not much damage. Skid marks on two back corners of the top luggage rack and both fenders bent but just pull them back out as straight as I can. Can't remember it upsetting the bike or not but the noise was about 4 times what I was expecting

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think you can buy a regular hitch at Harbor Freight or a store like that. I have a piggy backer as well with a regular hitch and have never had a problem.

Good luck to you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts