GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a Lees-ure lite camper trailer and would like to get some input on the need for a swivel. Some say you need one and some say you don't.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good insurance. I have seen one trailer up-side down with a swivel hitch on it. The bike did not go down. Like you said "some say you don't need it". I had rather have it and not need it than to not have one and really need it. Every trailer I've owned, I have installed a Black-Tie swivel hitch on it. JMHO George

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
My reason for getting a swivel for my trailer is not becasue I thought the trailer might tip over, but because I thought the bike might tip over. Since I have managed to lay the bike down on two differnt occasions I thought it could happen again. If I lay the bike down and it happens to go past the crash bars, that would put a lot of pressure on the hitch if there were no swivel. Besides that John Preston of Bushtec said swivels were a good idea, and he knows more about motorcycle trailers than anybody.
So, I did it. The $125 was pretty cheap for a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My bike fell over at a camp ground,and the ball was actually pointing down hill. Bike was clear over on the rt. mirror. Trailer never moved!!! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I have to admit my total stupidity here to say this, but...

My first trailer, on my first trip hauling it, with a swivel hitch thankfully. I cut a corner around an island too tight and flipped the trailer (at a speed of about 5 MPH). Bike stayed up, trailer got scratches on the top as I drug it a couple of feet with the wheels pointing up. Guy in the car behind me helped me turn it back over so I could get out of the middle of the street.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fotunately, that first trailer was a fairly beat up, old, used trailer as I didn't want to invest big $$ in a new one until I determined if I really would mind hauling one or not. I've managed to tow that, and another trailer, all over the country since then - yep, I learned from my idiot mistake. And yes, I do have a swivel hitch on my new trailer.

Carl

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wonder if the trailer would have stayed upright if the swivel hitch wasn't there.

I have whacked a 4x4 with the trailer wheel after just missing it with the bike. The trailer bounced from wheel to wheel and I did feel it hard but controllable on the bike. I would say if I had a swivel the trailer would have been dragging behind me on it's top or twisting and turning from top to wheels at highway speeds. I had a different trailer with my 1200 years ago that fell over and I believe the binding of the hitch kept the bike from going past the crash bars.

So, no thanks I will do without a swivel hitch.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
StaticJolt said:
I wonder if the trailer would have stayed upright if the swivel hitch wasn't there.

I have whacked a 4x4 with the trailer wheel after just missing it with the bike. The trailer bounced from wheel to wheel and I did feel it hard but controllable on the bike.
What if you were leaned hard into a corner? I'd rather have the swivel and a trailer on its lid than the energy of the rotating mass trying to take me over. It's an energy...and that energy has to go somewhere. If the rotation is limited by the coupler, that energy is applied to the hitch and then the attachement points on the bike. If you are using a subframe mounted hitch, then the energy is applied into the subframe. Then its a matter of finding the weakest link in the chain.

The problem is, every incident is different. In one a swivel it might be of benefit and in another it might not.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I still think I would rather have 500 pounds dancing behind me in a corner me than 500 pounds thrown completely over and off the road behind me and than acting as a friction brake.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Swivel Hitch

Who makes and sells the swivel hitches? I have a Kwik Kamp and a Hannigan and have been considering a swivel hitch for some time. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Don't pull my trailer but once or twice a year. Before I built it I read about a fellow on a 1500 that hit a piece of firewood with a trailer wheel, flipping the trailer and high siding him resulting in his death. That incident alone was enough proof for me to incorporate a swivel hitch in my design.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts