GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought new aluma mct trailer for my 1800 never pulled trailer before iwas just wondering if i needed a swivel hitch or not, and what kind of hitch is the best thanks

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Yes, adding the swivel is a good idea, in my opinion. I did and I happy with the choice and the expenditure of $125. Takes away a lot of worries about what if ...........

Good luck. Let us know if you need any more information. Lots of happy Aluma owners here.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I don't think it makes any difference. If you are tipped over so far the round ball hitch is going to hit the stops, you have a bigger problem than a trailer hitch. Besides, with a swivel hitch, its one more thing to go wrong. They have been known to come apart. And ball hitches have been known to come off.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IR Harry said:
I don't think it makes any difference. If you are tipped over so far the round ball hitch is going to hit the stops, you have a bigger problem than a trailer hitch. Besides, with a swivel hitch, its one more thing to go wrong. They have been known to come apart. And ball hitches have been known to come off.
I think the swivel hitch is good safety thing... i once heard a rider
towing a trailer dropped his right tire off the pavement... and there was a big hole.. the trailer flipped... and took down the bike...

cosmic

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
This summer, on the way to a rally north of here, a friend of mine was pulling a cargo trailer. As he pulled into a gas station, he felt a thump and a tug. (he was riding a GL1500 BTW) He turned around to see his trailer upside down. Thanks to the swivel hitch, his bike stayed upright. There was some minor damage to the trailer, but none to the bike. Turned out one of the trailer tires had ridden up onto the corner of a curb and somehow caused the trailer to flip. I think a swivel hitch is a good idea. If he'd had a regular hitch, it could have been nasty.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I installed a swivel coupler on my Aluma this past spring and am pleased with it so far. No problems and the trailer is great. The only other addition I just made was a set of 3-way hyper-lites mounted on the top rear corners of the trailer. The stock LEDs on the trailer get washed out by bright sunlight and the hyper-lites solved that issue.

·
Registered
630 Posts
In my opinion a swivel hitch provides me with a lot of piece of mind for a small price.

Lots of people don’t see the need but I feel better having one and that’s what matters to me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you have decided to go ahead an buy the swivel hitch, when you call Black Tie Accessories you will need the inside dimensions of the Aluma's tongue and the coupler model they use. Here are the dimensions and the coupler model that came with mine:

1 5/8" width, 2 3/4" thick. Shelby 5128 coupler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts