GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, based on the input from this board I ordered a SyMax helmet. Now, does this type helmet normally use a boom mic inside the chin bar? OR a mic mounted on the chin bar?

Can you ride much with the chin bar in the raised?

Thanks,

Ken H>

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a J&M with a long boom mike. Doesn't get in the way and works very well. I you're using J&M give them a call. They are very helpful. The last time I contacted them they knew all the items I had purchased over the last few years. Must have brought my file up on the computer. In any case I was very pleased by the personal service! :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
I find it difficult to ride with the chin bar up. Feels like the helmet is trying to fall backward, like top heavy. Since that feeling, I have always ridden with the bar down, except when I forget and just first drive away. Doesn't take too long to realize, someting isn't quite comfortable. Yes, you can ride with it up, but I don't know how long or far.
Also use the J&M, mic is on the boom connected to the side of the helmet, independent of the chin bar.
Bob D.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have a J & M in a Symax, works well, but when I contacted J & M, they told me they do not recommend their headsets into this helmet?????

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ken, I use the mic that is mounted to the chin bar (EdSets). Works for me.

You can ride with the chin bar up, just make sure the faceshield is closed before you put the bar up. If the shield is open it will put a lot of torque on the neck as it scoops the wind. The mic mounted on the chin bar doesn't do you much good with it open though. :wink:

·
Registered
927 Posts
On my SyMax helmet I removed the four screws holding the plastic trim in place on the chin bar and found a piece of foam behind it with a round circle molded in it in just the right spot for the mike from EdSets http://www.edsets.com/product_details.php?category_id=61&item_id=150. Drilled a hole in the foam and used a hot glue gun to attach the mike to the foam. Drilled a bunch of small holes in the plastic trim piece in the area of the mike and ran the wires to the main part of the helmet. Works great and does not take away any space in front of your lips.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info folks. Ken, I do like the way you did it. I think I'll try something along those lines myself. I will be building my own headsets. The speakers are very easy, and about a month ago I found a mic element that works really good, I think it costs about $1 ($2?) - anyway, nice and cheap.

Using this mic element, it will be easier to mount to the chin bar.

[edit] - Ken, I think that mic element from EdSet's is close to the same element that I used except I "think" his is a bit over an inch in diameter??? The one I used is only about 5/8" in diameter. I expect they work about the same.

It seems most are using the boom mics with this helmet, but due to cost and ease of construction, I'll try the mic element in the chin bar same as Ken has shown.

Thanks again to all for the info.

Ken H>

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I put a j&M in my symax. It has a boom mike (the newer ones are really flexy, and slender, but without impeding function. I just shove the mike up under the faceshield when i need it.

I don't get much wind force on it riding with the face shield up unless I've also left the visor open as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts