GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a symptom but not sure if it is a problem, or start of a problem or just the bike wearing in...here it goes

Bike: 2010 GL1800 no ABS
Mileage: 34,000 - hard riding both slab and cornering

Symptom....once in a while, not always when pulling in clutch, shift let say from 2nd to 3rd but could happen 3-4 or 4-5... let out clutch and accelerate quickly, the bike feels as though the drive shaft rocks backwards and forwards and sounds like everything is clunking into place...other times the bike does a smooth acceleration forward....

Could this be: Are the clutch plate worn out and not allowing the gears to mesh properly...:shrug:

Could this be: Is there somethind wrong with the u-joint on the drive shaft or were the drive shaft connects...:shrug:

Could this be: Normal...:?:

Could this be: Clutch cable to becoming stretched thus not working the clutch properly...:shrug:

Anyone have this problem or experienced it....I am becoming concerned

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank You

Safe Rides

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Search for "ghost shifting" It will tell of the transmission problems others have had.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have a symptom but not sure if it is a problem, or start of a problem or just the bike wearing in...here it goes

Symptom....once in a while, not always when pulling in clutch, shift let say from 2nd to 3rd but could happen 3-4 or 4-5... let out clutch and accelerate quickly, the bike feels as though the drive shaft rocks backwards and forwards and sounds like everything is clunking into place...other times the bike does a smooth acceleration forward....

Could this be: Are the clutch plate worn out and not allowing the gears to mesh properly...:shrug: Your clutch plates are not even broken in well at this mileage!

Could this be: Is there somethind wrong with the u-joint on the drive shaft or were the drive shaft connects...:shrug: All Goldwings have a bit of u joint slap... That would be normal.

Could this be: Clutch cable to becoming stretched thus not working the clutch properly...:shrug: If you have a clutch cable, that would NOT be normal, as your clutch is hydraulically controlled and there is no adjustment

Anyone have this problem or experienced it....I am becoming concerned All 1800 transmissions are clunky to some degree. They also all like to be shifted firmly with a bit of a preload on the shifter so when the clutch is released, the shift is swift and firm. Sloppy or incomplete shifts will give some feedback to the rider asking that you not do that. As the previous poster suggested, there is a problem with ghost shifting, but I am not convinced that is what you are describing.

Thank You

Safe Rides

Others will be here shortly with opinions and diagnosis far beyond the realms of my limited experience... Just ride it! Worrying does no good to remedy or exasperate your issues... Be happy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
watch the tach

Watch your tachometer. If it increases a couple hundred rpm when it happens and then returns to normal after the clunk it sounds like it is jumping out of gear and then back in. Or as others call it, "ghost shifting"

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Warranty-Extended warranty. Not normal. Document with Honda dealer

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts

Could this be: Are the clutch plate worn out and not allowing the gears to mesh properly...:shrug:

Could this be: Is there somethind wrong with the u-joint on the drive shaft or were the drive shaft connects...:shrug:

Could this be: Clutch cable to becoming stretched thus not working the clutch properly...:shrug:

Anyone have this problem or experienced it....I am becoming concerned

Thank You

Safe Rides
Hi ... if you search on here about ghost shifting, there is much information and you will see my screen name attached to much of it. This may sound really basic, but I would start with reading your Operators Manual on shifting, shift speeds to make sure you are operating and shifting your Wing as intended. If yours is a ghost shifter, often finding that "sweet spot" in RPMs is difficult. You will find no instructions in there about pre-loading your shifter so that is not advised.

As far as a possible brake pulsation causing your problem. Its not a bad idea to read about braking too. But I can easily state that by ... use both (front and rear) and not just one when braking. Down shifting instructions to decelerate are there too.

I am not saying that you are operating your Wing incorrectly, but I do say to do all that so that you can defiantly say: "I am operating my Wing as designed." Doing so takes rider's error out of the picture.

Below are a set of known symptoms:

The symptoms – an unwanted transmission shift, or coming out of gear and popping back in.
- Can occur from any gear, but 1st is never included.
- Ghost shifting can be a shift up or down … 2>3, 3>4, 4>5 or 5<4, 4<3, 3<2
- Usually starts occurring before the Wing has 10,000 mile on it, but on some, ghost shifting starts as late as 60,000 miles.
- At first, the unwanted shifting is as infrequent as every 10,000 or so, and usually it is not reproducible.
- Sometimes it may come out of gear and float in a “neutral” position between gears and pop back into the one it came out of.
- Often there is confusion as to what just happened, or what gear it came out of, or what gear it currently is in. If it is a ghost shift down, RPM’s increased.
- The shift can be so smooth that you may not know it happened, at other times BANG!!!
- In almost all cases, it occurs while under light acceleration or while cruising. Some report it happens after downshifting while under deceleration to reduce their speed.
- In most cases, the owner does not want to admit theirs is doing it too even when many of these symptoms fit.
- Eventually, a shift occurs that get the owners attention. Often that is the one leaving the Wing no longer rid able.
- Under certain condition, it is extremely dangerous.
- Some have had their fixed (out of pocket or under warrantee) and often report the condition reoccurring within 10,000 mile of the repair.
- All GL1800 years are affected. There are reports of 2012 models that ghost shift too.
- Many will describe it “as if their rear tire slipped on a wet leaf.”

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Lets clear up a few things.;)

The symptoms – an unwanted transmission shift, or coming out of gear and popping back in.Most report 5th dropping down to 4th gear.
- Can occur from any gear, but 1st is never included.Rarely does it ever happen to any gear other that 5th to 4th.
- Ghost shifting can be a shift up or down … 2>3, 3>4, 4>5 or 5<4, 4<3, 3<2.The term "Ghost shifting" came from 5th gear popping out and dropping down to 4th or a false neutral.as if a ghost did it,because the rider didn't!.
- Usually starts occurring before the Wing has 10,000 mile on it, but on some, ghost shifting starts as late as 60,000 miles.No one has data on if or when a bike will develop Ghost shifting from 5th to 4th gear.A very small percentage of units built ever have a Transmission problem.So noe one knows but Honda how many units built ever had any transmission issues.this board in a very small percentage of GL1800 owners out there.
- At first, the unwanted shifting is as infrequent as every 10,000 or so, and usually it is not reproducible.No one knows how frequent a person who first notices the 5th to 4th ghost shifting issue,because no one has ever documented each and every time it has happened at what mileage intervals it occurs on their own bike,never mind every GL1800 produced.
- Sometimes it may come out of gear and float in a “neutral” position between gears and pop back into the one it came out of.This is how it was first reported as Ghost shifting.
- Often there is confusion as to what just happened, or what gear it came out of, or what gear it currently is in. If it is a ghost shift down, RPM’s increased.
- The shift can be so smooth that you may not know it happened, at other times BANG!!! This occurs when it pops out of 5th gear while cruising,and most know it was in OD when the problem first appeared,and then sort of keep tract of 5th gear to see how often this issue reoccurs.
- In almost all cases, it occurs while under light acceleration or while cruising.This is known as Ghost shifting.
Some report it happens after downshifting while under deceleration to reduce their speed.This is a different issue than Ghost shifting which no one knows why it happens.Not even Honda or they would have fixed the issue long ago.
- In most cases, the owner does not want to admit theirs is doing it too even when many of these symptoms fit.Most owners will ask questions as to what is going on with there bike as it is not normal to have this happen.
- Eventually, a shift occurs that get the owners attention. Often that is the one leaving the Wing no longer rid able.The problem will get more frequent before your bike will lose all gears.It does give you a warning to get it repaired.
- Under certain condition, it is extremely dangerous.It's a stretch to say or think it's dangerous.
- Some have had their fixed (out of pocket or under warrantee) and often report the condition reoccurring within 10,000 mile of the repair.Rarely does it ever happen again,But a few cases have been reported.no one knows why or can positively say it will happen again.
- All GL1800 years are affected. There are reports of 2012 models that ghost shift too.A very small percentage of GL1800 ever made will ever have this issue.No one know what bike will or won't
- Many will describe it “as if their rear tire slipped on a wet leaf.”.Most report the bike looses forward momentum when 5th gear pops out of or back into 5th gear or downshifts to 4th gear.And sometimes find a false neuteral.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather everyone know the rest of the story to provide more relevant information.As we all know the more information we have the better we each can determine what is going on with our bikes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
slow down

I'm no expert. I've never had ghost shifting. I am sometimes sloppy with my shifting and sometimes too aggresive. I want to YELL to this thread, "Stop, take a deep breath and step back from the edge". The OP didn't describe ghost shifting, he gave a perfect discription of driveline slap. I realize that a couple of you have some deservedly raw nerves when it comes to trannys, but please reread the original post. There's nothing in there about it shifting on it's own. He's describing some looseness in the driveline. I suspect, that down the line (who knows how far), he will need a trike take-off, or perhaps just a universal.

Anyway, that's my opinion. My vote is cast for B or C or both.

Richard

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Lol.......well I am not there.......but.....

Sounds normal to me, does this happen when kinda lugging along, under little power, just poking along and the rpm is not up .

Normal to feel drive line lash sometimes when easy riding. To cure it keep the rpm up.

Could be, think so, does not describe to me any shifting situation other than running too high a gear for the speed and rpm.

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
His may not be ghost shifting. I was really responding to Caipira post and advising the OP to make sure he is operating his Wing correctly and letting him know what the symptoms are that Caipira brought up in case they fit.

"Bike: 2010 GL1800 no ABS

Symptom....once in a while, not always when pulling in clutch, shift let say from 2nd to 3rd but could happen 3-4 or 4-5... let out clutch and accelerate quickly, the bike feels as though the drive shaft rocks backwards and forwards and sounds like everything is clunking into place...other times the bike does a smooth acceleration forward...."

That fact that 1st is not involved and the way he describes the rest could be suspicious. I've tried to write those symptoms using words I've heard others use as well as from my own experiance. I should probably add one stating that the "shifting sweet spot" is often hard to find on a ghost shifter. It sounds like he is describing that. That is why I was directing him to his owners manual. It is possible that his shift points are incorrect like Kit is saying.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all...thanks...great bunch of posts...great information....

I don't think it is ghost shifting...but now I understand what GS is....thanks

Kit....it happens (at least to what I can replay in my mind) when I come to a hard stop, then down shift through several gears either coasting or at a complete stop...then start to accelerate shift 1>2 then 2>3 the bike or drive shaft rocks back and forth, shifting the gears really clunk hard into place.....other times the bike just glides forward smooth shifting threw the gears.....

Now I am wondering if I am shifting too fast at those times that I am not pulling in the clutch lever thus the gears are not meshing properly...thus get more slop and the "ghost shifting" occurs to the point the gears still go where they are suppose too...if that all makes sense....

It has only happened about give or take 5 times in the 34,000 miles

I will let you know what i find inthe next couple of days when I try to recreate it...

Thanks To All

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
To all...thanks...great bunch of posts...great information....

I don't think it is ghost shifting...but now I understand what GS is....thanks

Kit....it happens (at least to what I can replay in my mind) when I come to a hard stop, then down shift through several gears either coasting or at a complete stop...then start to accelerate shift 1>2 then 2>3 the bike or drive shaft rocks back and forth, shifting the gears really clunk hard into place.....other times the bike just glides forward smooth shifting threw the gears.....

Now I am wondering if I am shifting too fast at those times that I am not pulling in the clutch lever thus the gears are not meshing properly...thus get more slop and the "ghost shifting" occurs to the point the gears still go where they are suppose too...if that all makes sense....

It has only happened about give or take 5 times in the 34,000 miles

I will let you know what i find inthe next couple of days when I try to recreate it...

Thanks To All
It may be a clutch/shifting/timing thing. The dogs only allow for a small window of oppertunity for engagement. In the mean time, the fork is flexing trying to push the shift slider in to make engagement. As this is going on, sometimes the slider slaps in and bounces out. If that is what is happening, then 1 of the 2 cures for that is to change shift habits. Do you have a heal-toe?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have a heal-toe?
Yes I have a Toe Heal shifter....I know alot of people say that is one of the biggest problems....but I had a T?H Shifter on my GL1100 Interstate and never had a problem for 90,000+ miles....

Just not sure....

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
Yes I have a Toe Heal shifter....I know alot of people say that is one of the biggest problems....but I had a T?H Shifter on my GL1100 Interstate and never had a problem for 90,000+ miles....

Just not sure....
Since changing shift timing is often mentally harder then it seams, change out something to always remind you. Remove the heal toe and go back to OEM pegs for now. See if that helps and make sure you have read the Operating Instructions on proper shifting. We need to know that this m/c is being operated as intended. Sometimes they are not, but the rider thinks it is. Sorry ... I keep insisting on the basics first. The other stuff gets expensive. I am repairing a tranny now where I am having to insist that the owner goes back the OEM pegs. Some of his discription fits what you are discribing ... "sounds like everything is clunking into place." Inspction of his gears shows evidance of a possible clutch/shift timing thing. I would not call his a ghost shifter either.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I know it may sound silly. But check the lever setting for your clutch. Sometimes people set this too close to the grip and then don't fully disengage the clutch by not fully pulling the lever in. I agree on the sweet spot thing. My bike loves to shift between 3k and 3.5k. Smooth as silk there. But at 4.5k and up I need to be carefull and shift solidly and use good clutch timing. Also adjust the throttle cable slack. This caused all types of shifts and driveline noises untill I got it set correctly. AT least my bike needs a good solid shift, not jamming it into gear but full lever movement with solid motion.

As stated start with the basics. Clutch lever setting, throttle cable adjustment, finding the sweet spot and tuning your shift technique. Then move on to testing at more agressive levels. JMHO

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
I know it may sound silly. But check the lever setting for your clutch. Sometimes people set this too close to the grip and then don't fully disengage the clutch by not fully pulling the lever in. I agree on the sweet spot thing. My bike loves to shift between 3k and 3.5k. Smooth as silk there. But at 4.5k and up I need to be carefull and shift solidly and use good clutch timing. Also adjust the throttle cable slack. This caused all types of shifts and driveline noises untill I got it set correctly. AT least my bike needs a good solid shift, not jamming it into gear but full lever movement with solid motion.

As stated start with the basics. Clutch lever setting, throttle cable adjustment, finding the sweet spot and tuning your shift technique. Then move on to testing at more agressive levels. JMHO
That is a good idea too. Some people will put fat grips on and other clutch levers that don't work well when trying to shift.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I found the problem....I really never noticed this...(Shame on me :cry:) but I had the dial on the clutch lever set low and then I had installed larger handle grips...I think with the larger handle grips the clutch lever although pulled in all the way was not disengaging (or engaging) the clutch all the way....set the dial to 3 and now every thing seems to shift properly...or at least have not been able to reproduce the problem.....I am assuming the dial on the clutch lever sets the point at which the clutch engages or disengages.....?

Thanks To All...I will let you know if it happens again...

Safe Rides

·
Vendor
18,449 Posts
Cool ... that can be it and as simple as that. Here is how the Owners Manual says about the lever adjustment.

The distance between the tip of the clutch lever and the grip may be adjusted.

1.Turn the adjuster dial while pushing the clutch lever forward.
2. Align the index mark on the clutch lever with the numbers on the adjuster dial.
3. Start the engine, pull the clutch lever in, and shift into gear. Make sure the engine does not stall and the motorcycle does not creep. Gradually release the clutch lever and open the throttle. Your motorcycle should move smoothly and accelerate gradually.

Another way of saying that is to center stand the bike. Start bike and shift into first. Release the clutch so the tire spins. Pull the clutch in, apply and release the rear brake stopping the tire, and with clutch in the tire sould stay stopped and not creep.

For me, and I would never add any aftermarket stuff that has anything to do with my controls or switches.​

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2007 has "popped ot" of OD 3-4 times since I have had it. The dealer told me they could not replicate and I said no $%#%, it only does it rarely!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts