GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weaning the Baron off dino. Shell Rotella and Amisol seems to be the most common/favotite syn used, can't find it (Shell) locally. Road trip coming in a couple of days, not time to have Bulldog get the Anisol here. Does anyone have experience with Castrol full synthetic 10w-40w, and pro's & con's?
Thanks, Wingjammer

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
INCOMING!:22yikes:

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
Refer to owners manual on oil type:popcorn:

·
Registered
200 Posts
You won't have to wein it, just use good quality oil that is easy to find near you.

Rotella syn is in 4 qt container, mobil 1 is in 5qt, hence the price differance

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Roger, I've been using Mobil 1 15/50 in mine for the last 32k, changing every 8k. Full syn. and get it in 5 qt jug at wally world for $26.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Roger, I've been using Mobil 1 15/50 in mine for the last 32k, changing every 8k. Full syn. and get it in 5 qt jug at wally world for $26.
+1 for the Mobil 1 15/50. Supposed to be better for those of us who live in hot climates. I also use the leftover quart for other equipment.

·
Registered
248 Posts
+1 for the Mobil 1 15/50. Supposed to be better for those of us who live in hot climates. I also use the leftover quart for other equipment.
+1 too for the Mobil 1. 60,000 miles on my '04 so far. :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Oil recommendations ?? Use what ever fills your fantasys about oils. Just make sure you use no less than 3.9 qts and no more than 4 qts. It's also a good idea to change the oil filter at the same time ! Pick the rocks out of the tire treads and wipe off the dirt under the bike.

Then fire it up, put er in the wind and smile !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Weaning" might not be a good description, rather "changing to". Thanks to most of you for your responses and input. I've had great success with this (Castrol 10/40 syn) in all other 4 stroke applications. No need to shout laen, I can read quite well thanks, a computer monitor and the owners manual. This was brought up for those in the know, been there done that so to speak. As usual, I see your face nowhere in the crowd.

·
Registered
19,049 Posts

Oil recommendations ?? Use what ever fills your fantasys about oils. Just make sure you use no less than 3.9 qts and no more than 4 qts. It's also a good idea to change the oil filter at the same time ! Pick the rocks out of the tire treads and wipe off the dirt under the bike.

I agree with you???:shrug:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I started using the Castrol Syntec last season after the price of Amsoil shot through the roof.
Trialed it in my KLR650, which gets some high heat abuse and I love this stuff. Blows away the nasty Shell earl.

:thumbup:
Same here...I'm starting my third season with Castrol!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used Castrol syntec in my '01 and '03. Never any problems. It did seem to quiet and smooth out the tranny-shifting some, and my perception of that wasn't just "psychological", it was palpable as well.

It exceeds SAE and API factory specs. So it certainly didn't hurt.

I always did early oil changes, even with synthetics, and all I'll say is the synthetics never looked anywhere near as nasty as the dino oils did when drained at the very same mileage intervals.

What that might mean, or equate to, in real life, "I wouldn't even hazard a guess".

·
Registered
907 Posts

wipe off the dirt under the bike.

Oh, just what we need, another cleaning fanatic :joke:

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you use Rotella just go to any truck stop, they will have more than you can ever use.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like oil threads it brings out the best in people. You can sure find out who you would like as a friend or not. :evil:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts