GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to change the clutch and brake fluid on the bike. I can only find DOT 4 synthetic at the auto stores. No one has regular brake fluid. Is the synthetic ok to use or is it a no no?

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
No problem. Many if not most on here use Valvoline synthetic.

It's silicone fluid Dot5 you want to stay away from.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Redone mine with Pentosin last Saturday!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Dang... I thought it was all "synthetic".

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
The regular stuff is "synthetic" too, in as much as glycol is man made product/by-product. Those labled 3-4 or 4 are OK, like Red noted, Valvoline is popular; but it probably all comes out of the same synthetic horse.

prs

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
It is the DOT 5 which is silicon based that you want to stay away from. Synthetic fluids are fine as long as they are labeled DOT 3, DOT 4, and/or DOT 5.1. DOT 5.1 (Five point one) is the Polyethylene-glycol based version of the silicon based DOT 5.

Stick with 3, 4, or 5.1 and you'll be fine.

Im getting ready to change the clutch and brake fluid on the bike. I can only find DOT 4 synthetic at the auto stores. No one has regular brake fluid. Is the synthetic ok to use or is it a no no?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
The regular stuff is "synthetic" too, in as much as glycol is man made product/by-product. Those labled 3-4 or 4 are OK, like Red noted, Valvoline is popular; but it probably all comes out of the same synthetic horse.

prs
I think that horses name is "Glycol". :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts