GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Castrol GTLMA brake fluid for as long as I can remember. I sometimes have a hard time finding it on the shelves.
So when I was in my local Kawasaki dealership I bought 2 bottles. I must have been in a hurry because I didn't look at the label
very carefully because I was so glad to find Castrol GTLMA brake fluid. This morning I noticed that the label said synthetic.
Oh no I thought this stuff has silicone in it. I am thinking and hoping that silicone is only DOT 5. I can't even find the msds data
sheet for this stuff and there is nothing on the label that says silicone.

I been running this fluid in my brakes for well over a year and just changed my clutch fluid with no ill effects.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff or knowledge of its chemical makeup?

This is a link to what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-GT-LMA-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000WPB6DS

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it says Dot 3 or 4 your good to go.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yep, just looked at the link and it says right on the container, exceeds specs for Dot 3 and 4. Good to go.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
DOT 3, DOT 4, OR DOT 5.1 all work fine with each other.

It is the DOT 5 you don't want to mix with the others.

I have been using Castrol GTLMA brake fluid for as long as I can remember. I sometimes have a hard time finding it on the shelves.
So when I was in my local Kawasaki dealership I bought 2 bottles. I must have been in a hurry because I didn't look at the label
very carefully because I was so glad to find Castrol GTLMA brake fluid. This morning I noticed that the label said synthetic.
Oh no I thought this stuff has silicone in it. I am thinking and hoping that silicone is only DOT 5. I can't even find the msds data
sheet for this stuff and there is nothing on the label that says silicone.

I been running this fluid in my brakes for well over a year and just changed my clutch fluid with no ill effects.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff or knowledge of its chemical makeup?

This is a link to what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-GT-LMA-Brake-Fluid/dp/B000WPB6DS

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
FYI to my knowledge all brake fluid is synthetic rather the label says so or not.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I am curious to know. I installed speed bleeders and did not tighten down one of the front fittings enough. Brake fluid splattered onto my front chrome cowl and paint. But not chrome or paint was harmed. I use Napa DOT4. Does the new fluid not hurt the paint? I have used this fluid now for the second change. Speed Bleeders are a GOD SEND!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I spilled a couple drops on my top shelter about a year ago. I quickly wiped it up and noticed no damage to the paint. Not sure if it is dot 4 or the clear coat paint but it sure is nice to know.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I am curious to know. I installed speed bleeders and did not tighten down one of the front fittings enough. Brake fluid splattered onto my front chrome cowl and paint. But not chrome or paint was harmed. I use Napa DOT4. Does the new fluid not hurt the paint? I have used this fluid now for the second change. Speed Bleeders are a GOD SEND!
If the fluid is wiped up relatively soon, no damage will occur. Leave it sitting on the paint for a few minutes and witness the horror! :shock:

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
FYI to my knowledge all brake fluid is synthetic rather the label says so or not.

Wayne
This is what I have always heard. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Probably nobody cares, but pre-DOT brake fluid was castor oil, which is a vegetable oil. Current DOT brake fluid is glycol-ether based, except DOT 5 which is silicone based.... glycol-ether based fluids by definition are synthetic.....

Wayne

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
THINK MY MOM WOULD DRINK THAT STUFF :wrong::eek:4::22yikes:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Probably nobody cares, but pre-DOT brake fluid was castor oil, which is a vegetable oil. Current DOT brake fluid is glycol-ether based, except DOT 5 which is silicone based.... glycol-ether based fluids by definition are synthetic.....
Should be obvious, but ......

·
Registered
820 Posts
Does the synthetic fluid alleviate the issue of attracting moisture??

schiel1 on My Samsung 3

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
No, Only DOT5 silicon fluid is hydrophobic the rest is hydroscopic...

Does the synthetic fluid alleviate the issue of attracting moisture??

schiel1 on My Samsung 3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts