GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see a problem in using all synthetic grease on varied lube spots. I know some bikes call for Lithium grease here and Molybendum grease there???

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
There are all kinds of different greases for all types of applications... some for ball joints, some for wheel bearings, etc., etc. If a spec calls for a certain type of grease, you should probably use that type, be it dino or synthetic.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Usually they will specify a grease # such as GL-5, or NLGI 2. Use what ever is specified be it reg or synthetic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can read the manual too - aren't most of those techno abbreviations either lithium or moly ? gotta keep y'all buying those Honda products

I guess no outta the box thinkers riding wings :lol:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I put what's called for in diferent locations and use synthetic on My trailer bearings with buddy bearings, it's good for 750 degrees verses 450 degrees for normal wheel bearing grease, if it calls for moly use it, (espically moly 60)or lithium ECT.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks snowman, you're right I'm sure

Actually, I was fishing, one bike shop mechanic told me they put synthetic racing lube on everything - sounded fishy to me :roll:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just for the record:

If you mix greases with dissimilar bases (e.g. mixing lithium based grease with barium based grease), the mixture may lose viscosity over time.....not a good thing. DAMHIK :oops:

This may be helpful:

http://www.finalube.com/reference_mater ... _chart.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts