GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE FOLLOWING IS ONE OPINION ON SYNTHETIC FOR CARS>I PERSONALLY USE AMSOIL IN MY BIKES_THIS IS JUST ANOTHER OPINION TAKEN FROM THE INTERNET

Oil Change Options
By TOM TORBJORNSEN
I've been getting a lot of mail regarding using synthetic motor oil in vehicles. Questions such as:

- Should I use synthetic oil?
- Does it work better in some cars than others?
- Does it cost more?
- Do I have to change the oil more frequently?
Less frequently?
- Does it make my engine last longer?

First of all, let's take a brief look at the history of synthetic motor oil and its introduction to the marketplace.
Amsoil Inc. developed the first synthetic motor oil to meet American Petroleum Institue (API) service requirements. Retired Lt. Col. Albert J. Amatuzio, President and CEO of Amsoil Inc. witnessed synthetic lubricants in action as a jet fighter squadron commander. Synthetic oils were developed for (and still are used exclusively in) aircraft jet engines because of their extraordinary capacity to reduce friction and wear on engine parts.

Learn About Cars
With over 27 years of automotive experience Tom makes learning about cars easy. Get more of his advice below:

Listen to Tom's Interviews
Listen to Tom LIVE
Friendly Car Advice
Ask a Car Question
About Tom
Synthetic oil has an incredible ability to function dependably at severe hot and cold temperatures as well as withstanding rigorous and lengthy engine operation without chemical breakdown. This is critical in aircraft engine operation because, if oil breaks down at 30,000 feet, aircraft engines can fail and well, you get the picture. Amatuzio decided he would develop synthetic motor oil to be used in automobiles for the same benefits.

In 1972, Amsoil introduced the first synthetic motor oil for automotive applications. In the early seventies, another company was also working on synthetic oil development for the automobile: Mobil Oil Company. They came to market with synthetic motor oil in 1975. By the 1990's, the other major oil companies added their synthetic oils to the marketplace, in addition to their petroleum-based products.

To understand synthetic motor oil, let's look first at the origins of all motor oil.
Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various fractions. These fractions become the bases for lubricating oils and fuels. The part of crude oil that forms thick, tangled masses of carbon chains are used in roofing tar and roadwork. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other products.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Synthetic blends usually use some non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil. It is the unique chemical formulation of synthetic oil that causes it to be highly resistant to viscosity breakdown from high temperature, friction, and chemical contaminants.

New Cars
Powered by

Get multiple dealer quotes Select a MakeAcuraAston MartinAudiBentleyBMWBugattiBuickCadillacChevroletChryslerDodgeFerrariFordGMCHondaHUMMERHyundaiInfinitiIsuzuJaguarJeepKiaLamborghiniLand RoverLexusLincolnLotusMaseratiMaybachMazdaMercedes-BenzMercuryMINIMitsubishiNissanPanozPontiacPorscheRolls-RoyceSaabSaturnScionSubaruSuzukiToyotaVolkswagenVolvo Select a Model
ZIP

Should I use synthetic oil in my car?
That depends on the vehicle's age, mileage and the carmaker's recommendations. Older vehicles with high mileage tend to have excessive mechanical wear in the engine, allowing for internal oil leakage. For vehicles with high mileage, it is not recommended to use full synthetic oil because it is thin and very free flowing, and use of it does (more often than not) result in internal oil combustion.

I used full synthetic oil in a Plymouth Neon. After logging 120,000 miles the car started to consume oil at an alarming rate. Concerned, I switched to a semi-synthetic oil that was more full-bodied and the consumption stopped. I logged another 30,000 miles and sold it. It's still running with more than 200,000 miles today and it doesn't burn oil.

Carmakers use full synthetics and semi-synthetics in some of their engines today. In most cases, you will find that a synthetic lubricant is used when there's a high-performance engine with tight engine tolerances, high compression and high operating temperatures. Follow your owner's manual for motor oil recommendations. If you want to use synthetic oil and your car is still under warranty, check with your local dealer before switching to synthetic oil (just to make sure you're covered with the switch).

More Autos Stories
More oil related articles from AOL Autos:

Oil Change for Beginners
How Often Should You Change Your Oil?
Does it work better in some cars than others?
As I stated earlier, some carmakers recommend only using synthetic oil in their engines. For instance, Chevy recommends the use of Mobil One full synthetic oil in its new generation Chevy Corvette engine. I have used synthetic oil in all of my vehicles for the last six years with great results, with one exception. I didn't use a full synthetic in my Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC V-6. Ford specifies using a 5W20 semi-synthetic due to engine design, so I followed the manufacturer's specification. Remember, before changing to synthetic oil, check with your dealer on carmaker’s recommendations.

What are the pros and cons of using synthetic oil in my car?

Pros:
- It flows easier in cold weather, therefore no loss of prime when the oil is cold. Also, it is highly resistant to viscosity breakdown (the ability of the oil to flow easily in all temps) from heat, friction and chemical contaminants. - Longer change intervals: 5,000 to 7,000 miles between oil changes (compared to 3,000 for regular oil). Some folks have documented up to 25,000 miles between changes. However, I would not advise going that long!

Cons:
- Costs twice as much as conventional oil per quart. However it lasts longer, so the actual cost increase is closer to 50 to 60 percent. - Flows easily, therefore not recommend for use on high mileage engines; nor do I recommend using it in new engines during the break-in period because it is so slippery and dramatically limits the wearing of new mating parts within the engine. This initial wearing of parts is what makes for proper engine break-in, sealing of piston rings, mating of camshafts and lifters, etc.

Does it make my engine last longer?
Yes, because it's so slippery, synthetic makes for less engine wear and thus greater engine longevity.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
When it is all said and done, you could run reclaimed oil in a GL1800 and the engine will last 2-300,000 miles. The rest of the bike would be junk before the engine gives up for lack of lubrication. Look at the old 1100 wings - still running, but parts falling off. So why beat this oil thing to death, when its not the weak link?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Laen,

What do I owe You?....LOL

I think I will go melt the butter for the popcorn on this one..>LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I think the weak ling with the GL1800 is poor dealership response, maint and training.

How do we correct that?

Bulldog

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Dawg - Think you are right about the weak link. So we avoid the dealers, do our own maintenance, and train ourselves. Or we go see that dealers that had some kid that can't spell, dropped out of grade school, and is working for peanuts with no training that is the head mechanic, and wonder why nothing is done right.

I am going to salt my popcorn....

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Bulldog said:
Laen,

What do I owe You?....LOL

I think I will go melt the butter for the popcorn on this one..>LOL

Bulldog
Bulldog-

UPS says that my oil in on my porch, will find out in about an hour. One day delivery, can't beat that!

Woo Hoo!!! Something useful to do this weekend... Changing oil!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
In 1972, Amsoil introduced the first synthetic motor oil for automotive applications.
It may have been the first synthetic with an API rating but karters were using synthetics in the 60s and motorcycle shops also sold it. Two brands that come to mind were Steens C and Klotz. They were primarily for 2 strokes but several people used Steens in 4 stroke race bikes.

·
Registered
312 Posts
>>Does it make my engine last longer?
Yes, because it's so slippery, synthetic makes for less engine wear and thus greater engine longevity.

This is total crap. So is the "no break in" use recommendation.

If you get oil--- of any kind--- with no "energy conserving" mark in the API logo, you're OK. It's then energy conserving additives that make some synthetics extra slippery. Energy-conserving oils are not safe for wet clutches, and are no OK for Goldwings.

The current API spec is SM. If you get SM service oil without the "energy conserving" mark in the API logo, you're OK in goldwings of any age and mileage.

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question-if price were equal would you still rather put reg non synthetic oil in your bike? For most the answer is no. So heh, I choose to put the best in my bike. Flame on. 8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Laen,

Below is the pricing of the Amsoil I sell to board members. You can't get it cheaper than what I sell it for. This is my actual cost.

I only post this, so that the folks doing the math, have a base price.

Bless you my brother for being one of my best, under paid, unofficial salesman...LOL

MCF-01 case of 12 Qts. 10W40 $76.20 (list $106.20)

MCF-04 case of 4 Gals. 10W40 $96.60 (list $133.60)

MCV-01 case of 12 Qts. 20W50 $78.60 (list $109.80)

MCV-04 case of 4 Gals. 20W50 $100.80 (list $139.40)

SVG-Qt 1 qt Final Gear Lube $8.80 (list $11.20)

EAOM-103 Filter $11.50 (list $14.75)

G-2039 Final gear Lube Pump $9.95 (list $12.50)

Recommendation: Purchase the case of Gallons, to facilitate Fill / Disposal / Cost.

Shipping is from the closest Amsoil Depot to the shipping address. Shipping takes 2 - 4 working days. Shipping is approx. $8.65 for a case of 12 Quarts. $11.85 for a case of (4) gallons (US Orders). Ordering less than a full case of Quarts or Gallons of motor oil is not recommended, as UPS has a minimum charge that must be met, and small quantities of product fall short of the minimum. However if you want small quantities, we will accommodate your needs. (When you add individual Quarts/Items to a full case order, you are not penalized by UPS)

All we will need is your order, MasterCard, Discover or Visa # with expiration date and your billing address, name on card, if different from your shipping address, and a phone number for delivery purposes. You can call us any day up till 11 pm EST, or provide us with your phone # and we will gladly call you!

All Amsoil products for your Recreational, Automotive and Home use are available to you, at our actual cost.

Additionally, we now carry Pitbull motorcycle lifts, EK GPS/XM Radio mounts and Condor Wheel Chocks, at very attractive prices. Also visit the http://www.dawgndoc.com site, for sale items that are motorcycle related.

Looking forward to serving you!

Bulldog & Meesh

(845) 434-1378 Home Phone

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO -- until Honda takes action to correct the problems at Honda dealerships.. ie -- untrained mechanics - and lack luster sales staff.. along
with back yard looking dealerships that you have to wade through lawnmowers, string trimmers & generators... and Honda has to become more customer oriented as far as warranty claims.....nothing will change ...
I bet when they fall short of their sales goal... they just might take notice.

cosmic

·
Registered
337 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
IMHO -- until Honda takes action to correct the problems at Honda dealerships.. ie -- untrained mechanics - and lack luster sales staff.. along
with back yard looking dealerships that you have to wade through lawnmowers, string trimmers & generators... and Honda has to become more customer oriented as far as warranty claims.....nothing will change ...

cosmic
You would not be talking about the dealership right across the street from an Oil Refinery in Downtown Baton Rouge would ya????

:)

RRP

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
rrp0968 said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
You would not be talking about the dealership right across the street from an Oil Refinery in Downtown Baton Rouge would ya????

yeah.. like 90% of Honda dealerships... I went to a Honda dealership in Biloxi a couple of years ago.. it looked like a run down 2nd hand store in
a ghetto setting... I got my 9mm out of my glove box before I stepped out of my truck..
At least Harley has modernized their HD dealerships... most are really nice
places to visit in upscale areas.. not in the middle of the Ghetto's..

cosmic

·
Registered
19,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rrp0968 said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic

RRP
I have been into that Honda dealership on the right side or their shop they have accessories piled in boxes with dust, some vintage clothing for sure. A dump.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I know were there is one Honda Dealer that has a staff that is the oppisite of what you guys have seen, I know that some of the mechanics have been there for 15 years or more, they surely know something. The service manager has been there over 15 also.
shawnee Cycle Plaza Shawnee,Ks
http://www.shawneecycleplaza.com/
Hazle
ps I don't deal with them much I like to do my own work and they won't deal much on new stuff

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Hazle said:
I know were there is one Honda Dealer that has a staff that is the oppisite of what you guys have seen, I know that some of the mechanics have been there for 15 years or more, they surely know something. The service manager has been there over 15 also.
shawnee Cycle Plaza Shawnee,Ks
http://www.shawneecycleplaza.com/
Hazl

cosmic
ps I don't deal with them much I like to do my own work and they won't deal much on new stuff
I understand they are a few Honda dealerships that are top notch.. but its not the norm... and I think one day not into the too distant future Honda will regret it...

cosmic

cosmic

·
Registered
503 Posts
I run synthetic oil in my vette and my wing and I like it. As far as oil change intervals, I change it at 3,000 miles because for some reason the dirt doesn't know I have synthetic oil in my motor.

·
Registered
337 Posts
laen said:
rrp0968 said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic

RRP
I have been into that Honda dealership on the right side or their shop they have accessories piled in boxes with dust, some vintage clothing for sure. A dump.
I actually bought my '05 Wing there. only because they got within $150 of me traveling to Tupelo, MS., And....they had the exact bike I wanted ...'05, Silver, ABS.

When the old man that owns the place dies......it will more than likely shut down. If you want to buy a bike there.........he is the only person you can speak with to make the deal.

On the other hand......there is a much newer dealership in Baton Rouge.....really modern looking....clean dealership. When I was buying my VTX a few months ago.....they acted as if I was wasting their time by asking about price on the bike.....left......drove to Sunrise Honda in Searcy, AR and bought the exact same bike for $2500 less.

Anyway......neither of my bikes have been back to the dealership since I bought them. The only way they will go back is if it is an expensive warranty repair. Then.....for the Wing at least.....it will not go back to the selling dealership.....May use the Dealership in Lafayette.....I have read really good thing about them. Hopefully never have the need though.

RRP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts