GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK , i figure this will open a big can of worms, But anyway, what is the best brand of synthetic oil to run in the GL1800A ?

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Not to be rude, but you could try running a search of the archives...or just look at some of the past threads. Everything that you'll need to read has probably already been said.

Oil is the most "beaten horse" that we have here...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I asked the same question a couple weeks ago. Answer was Mobil One Red Cap 15w-50, Shell Rotella 5w-40 and of course why not Honda HP4 10w-40, Honda's recommended oil. It all left me more confused than when I started. One reader posted 5w anything is not recommended by Honda at all, so why would you use it? Another posted his bike never leaked a drop until he switched to synthetic. I think I will continue to use HP4 10w-40. Other than that I think it is a personal decision..no right or wrong answer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was using Mobil I red cap and getting clutch chatter. Switched to AMSOIL after my mechanic told me Mobil had changed their friction additive(s) and the chatter is gone and the bike shifts even smoother than with Mobil I.

.. Sue

·
Registered
22 Posts
Synthetic Oil

Have used Amsoil in 4 Gold Wings and no problems at all.. Use Amsoil gear lube also.. Of course the last decision will be yours.. BJ

·
Registered
380 Posts
Why not just use Honda's oil??? How can you go wrong?? I've read on numerous occassions that motor oil for cars is not the same as motorcycle oil. It doesn't make sense to me why people spend thousands of dollars on their motorcycle and then put oil in that's not made for it. Is it because it's cheaper? That still doesn't make sense. My Corvette gets Mobil 1 because that's what's recommended from the factory. My Gold Wing gets the Honda oil because that's what's recommended from the factory. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I like to keep things simple.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What Honda recomends is oil that meets or exceeds their published specs.

Honda oil meets those specs.

There are other oils that exceed their specs.

If a better oil is available, why not use it?

Amsoil makes a motorcycle-specific, high-quality synthetic.
As do other companies.

Roy

Roy

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what its worth. To solve the proublem of having to keep different types of oil around I use Shell Rotella T 15/40 in everything,motorcycles,cars, truck & riding mower. Way back when in some oil test they stuck it just a more or less joke. It came out with some of the best ratings of all types tested. I have used it in Honda,Yamaha, & Kawasaki with no proublems. A friend also does the same. Any good oil should do the job, just change it and the filter at a regular interval.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've used Amsoil for over 3 years..................

But I've recently gotten very tired of having to either pay yearly dues to becoming a prefered member or having to buy it from some "dealer".
I believe Amsoil is great oil but I'm tired of the PIA method to get the stuff!

I just switched to Mobil 1 and we'll see how it goes...............I want an oil the performs well but is also easy to get when needed.
Amsoil needs to reconsider their selling methodolgy IMHO.

·
Registered
469 Posts
OIL AGIN

I was finally convinced ta switch ta Mobil 1. I had been usin Honda GN4 for 70,000 miles. Ta make ah long story short after 6,000 miles usin Mobil 1, i don't think it all it's cracked up ta be, i'm back ta usin Honda GN4, & will stick with it. My Honda dealer service manager has ah six cylinder chevy pickup with over 300,000 miles on & th only oil he says he's used in it is Honda GN4. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Synthetic Oil Brands ? ? ? ?

Local Honda mechanic recommended Castorl Syntech 5W50. Have been using it for over 10K now and have found no problems. Shifting immediately improved to quiet, smooth, "clunkless," and no clutch chatter. Realtively inexpensive, and can be obtained at Wally World.

Ride safely, ride, often, and ride far.
8)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I started out with Amsoil years ago and it has worked flawlessly for me for many years. So I am sticking with it.

However that is not a reason for everyone to like AMSOIL.

I think these things would run well on hair oil!

Bulldog

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bulldog, where do you get Amsoil? Exactly which type do you get? Is it available in gallon jugs?
So many questions, so little brain!

mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i greatly appreciate the replys to this post, i Do NOT worry about Price, if i did i wouldn't have bought a Gold Wing.... i plan on using the best Oil and Filter money can buy, because of several reasons.... after being an Aircraft Mechanic since 1972 and seeing what Quality consumable products can do for you, why would anone in there right mind skimp.... it will make the engine last longer, and perform better... then that is a good thing.... Yes you pay 15K plus for a motorcycle, so why not protect your investment... that is one reason why i ask questions, i know for a fact Honda makes motorcycles, they do NOT make Oil or Filters.... the GN4 and other oils they promote is another way for them to make money, and yes they have established a standard, but i am smart enough to know that even that can be improved upon.... and after calling Honda and asking if improving in the oils and filters would cause damage or in anyway void my warranty and being told NO it won't... i plan to take the best care of my machine i can.... if i cant' afford to spend a few extra dollars for the betterment of my bike, why did i buy the thing ? ? ? and the same should go for all modes of transportation....it is called extending your investment..... oh yeah remember the fram commercial years ago, " pay me now or may me later" it still applies and always will....even though i would never run a Fram filter. i don't want just paper attempting to filter the only fluid that keeps my engine running....yes you can pull over on the side of the road and fix your bike or car, but you can NOT pull over on the side of the road to Fix a broke airplane, just because you wanted to save money on the front end.... to heck with that thought..... No i will take care of what i have and try my best to make it last longer than i live....
Once again thanks for the replys.... i am totally into the best Quality i can buy, even of i got to take out a loan to do so.....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
stapler101 said:
Bulldog, where do you get Amsoil? Exactly which type do you get? Is it available in gallon jugs?
So many questions, so little brain!

mike
I'm not Bulldog, but . . . . ;)

Amsoil motorcycle oil is only available in quarts unless you prefer a 30-gallon or 55-gallon drum ;)

However . . .
A friend emailed Amsoil and shared the reply with me. Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil is the same product as their "SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil" which is available in gallons.

Lest someone think they relabel the quarts just to get a higher price, the quarts are the same price, no matter how they're labeled.

They apparently label the motorcycle oil because some people simply refuse to use anything that's not "motorcycle specific."

I find Amsoil to be very convenient. My friend and I combine our orders to reduce our delivery charges, and it's all delivered to his place of business. I pick it up when I go by for lunch which is often anyway. It obviously wouldn't be as easy for everyone.

Info on Amsoil is available at http://www.amsoil.com If you do decide to order, you can help a dealer by using his/her website, but it's still as easy as ordering on the Web. Our dealer is 450 miles away in Tennessee :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts