GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Greg - you sure have got me thinking about switching to non-synthetic Honda oil on my 12 GW with 20k miles.

I've always used Mobile 1 in my bikes - but the GW is new to me and you are very credible to me based on your GW experience.
There have been owners here with 200,000+ miles on their bike with no clutch problems while using 100 percent synthetic oil. I had a bike with 165K on it with no clutch issues and it always had synthetic oil in it. The only thing that people on this board will agree on with respect to oil is that there is no agreement as to what oil should be used. Most people will agree that energy conserving oil is bad, but I've seen a couple of people say that does not matter.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There have been owners here with 200,000+ miles on their bike with no clutch problems while using 100 percent synthetic oil. I had a bike with 165K on it with no clutch issues and it always had synthetic oil in it. The only thing that people on this board will agree on with respect to oil is that there is no agreement as to what oil should be used. Most people will agree that energy conserving oil is bad, but I've seen a couple of people say that does not matter.
Hopefully no where have I ever stated that "most" or that "everyone" will have problems when using a synthetic oil. If I did that would be incorrect information, and I would not want to be known for posting that. Usually I'm posting what I see. Unfortunately, in the world of mechanics, from one machine to the other, they are not always the same, and knowing which Wing might have any of the various problems synthetics are known to cause in 5th gens Wings, can be impossible to predict.

However, I can say this. Never have I heard Honda's GN4 has cause any of them, which is why I always recommend that oil. It's oil that can be counted on in probably all 5th gen Wings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My experience with wet clutch bikes is with two Victory motorcycles. Polaris recommended semi-synth oil. Full synth was too “slick”, and created slippage issues. Dino oil broke down too quickly from the shearing forces inherent with the shared sump. Even so, I could definitely tell when it was time to change oil because the shifting got clunky, usually in the 4-5k mile range.

I am coming up on my first oil change on my 2018 at 4000 miles. I am still undecided on what oil to use, but it will be Honda oil and filter.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks like the dealer I bought my oil from screwed me, he sold me full synthetic. Oh well, I'll give it a try.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My experience with wet clutch bikes is with two Victory motorcycles. Polaris recommended semi-synth oil. Full synth was too “slick”, and created slippage issues. Dino oil broke down too quickly from the shearing forces inherent with the shared sump. Even so, I could definitely tell when it was time to change oil because the shifting got clunky, usually in the 4-5k mile range.

I am coming up on my first oil change on my 2018 at 4000 miles. I am still undecided on what oil to use, but it will be Honda oil and filter.
On 5th gens, our transmissions shift best with new oil and cold weather, and their shifting becomes noticeably clucky when the oil gets about 6,500 miles old. As for synthetic oils, they are known to be in the friction zone longer, thus clutch plates on some Wings will get burnt, which is what Polaris was experiencing.

When Wings come in for service, and if the customer is changing from synthetic to conventional, often I can feel the change in the clutch lever. The clutch grabs sooner the later.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
‘01 370k miles, 03, 150k miles, 03 68k miles... (over 50% pulling a fairly heavy trailer) all T6, never a slip...

Reactions: networkguy3

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

I am coming up on my 2nd oil change on my 2018 since January. I ran the full 4000 miles on the “break in” oil from the factory with no issues at all. I changed oil and both filters with GN4 10W30. I plan on changing again at 10000 miles with the same and then every 5000 miles after that.
I only get clunky shifts for the first 5 minutes of each ride until the oil warms up. I have only done the clutch initialization one time since January when I bought the bike because it has been very predictable in the way it shifts.
Will I change to full synthetic oil? Maybe but from what I am experiencing the factory oil is working just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
My name is Ronnie and I'm an oil changohlic ....I change my [oil/filter] before every very long trip, and every 2-3,000 miles................ NO slippage problems, and I now have coverted it to a trike....
I use different types of oil (ALL MOTORCYCLE) blends, "both" dino and synthnic .....

Ronnie

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
My name is Ronnie and I'm an oil changohlic ....I change my [oil/filter] before every very long trip, and every 2-3,000 miles................ NO slippage problems, and I now have coverted it to a trike....
I use different types of oil (ALL MOTORCYCLE) blends, "both" dino and synthnic .....

Ronnie
How can you use 2 wheeled oil on your 3 wheeled vehicle? I suggest you mix motorcycle oil with something good like Rotella T6 so you will have 3 wheeled oil. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Synthetic oils are known to cause a wet-clutch to be in its friction zone longer. If someone studies Honda Owner's Manual, it appears that Honda figured that out too. For example, from 2001-03, Honda had no synthetic oil. Their Owner's Manuals suggested GN4, Honda's conventional oil. However, by 2004, Honda began marketing their new HP4 semi-blend. In the Owner's Manual was even a full page picture of their new oil with strong suggestion to use it. The HP4 bottle even had the words "engineered for GoldWings" on its label. By 2007, Honda came out with their full synthetic HP4S oil, and the words "engineered for GoldWings" was removed from their blended synthetic, and now the Owner's Manuals were strongly suggesting their new full synthetic.

As time past, and I think on or about 2010 or 2012, their suggestions to use synthetic oils no longer existed, and it was then back to their GN4 10w-30.

Below is a picture of burnt clutch plates. He reports using a synthetic oil.

For 6th gens, Honda has strong wording suggesting their conventional oil GN4 10w-30.
I know this is an old post but I wondered how many miles were on the bike, # of oil changes performed and if he was using 10-30? Was this repair covered by warranty? There were times I thought different year Wings did better with synthetic but too many synthetics have the modifiers. I have been getting the Honda GN4 10-30 with each change.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I know this is an old post but I wondered how many miles were on the bike, # of oil changes performed and if he was using 10-30? Was this repair covered by warranty? There were times I thought different year Wings did better with synthetic but too many synthetics have the modifiers. I have been getting the Honda GN4 10-30 with each change.
Sorry I have no idea ... there have been so many, and that's an old post. I write about synthetic clutch issues all the time. You can find more synthetic oil issues on my own JustWings forum page.

Reactions: Bayrec
61 - 71 of 71 Posts