GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In some cases, synthetic oils do not do well in 5th gens Wings. The owner reports that his Wing got Amsoil from it 1st oil change on. It's a 2005 with 82k on the ODM. This Wing also pushes a side car.

I'm not a chemist, so I don't have the ability to analyze the material I removed from the inside of his transmission cover, however the material is not metallic and feels like some sort of fiber. My guess is clutch material. Unfortunately, he's not having the clutch repaired at this time, so there will be no verification. The material was discovered because the transmission cover was removed to replace the gear position sensor (code 41). I scraped it out, and placed it in that plastic container.

Synthetics can cause problems in 5th gens. Mainly I see it with clutch issues. If you have a trike, or your Wing is attached to a side-car, or you tow a trailer, Honda's GN4 oil is your best choice.

·
Registered
695 Posts
To me, it appears to be sludge that has accumulated due to infrequent oil changes.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
HP4S

APPLICATIONS

New Pro Honda HP4S is Honda’s first fully synthetic four-stroke motorcycle oil and was quite literally years in the making. HP4S offers lower friction than conventional oils, better oxidation resistance for better high-heat performance, higher film strength and quicker flow to vital engine parts at low temperatures, especially during startup. And best of all, HP4S provides maximum power due to less frictional drag. HP4S is approved for use in all 2006 or newer motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters and PWC. It is, quite simply, our very finest four-stroke oil.HP4S is compatible with synthetic blends such as HP4, as well as regular petroleum oils like GN4. There is no need to flush the crankcases before switching to HP4S.

This is from Pro Honda, they say synthetic oil is approved.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Well, in Greg's defense he did say "in some cases..." and his example is a 2005. Wingmaster, your information says in 2006 or newer... So, it's not "approved" in a 2005...

All these years and I still don't understand why folks get all fired up about using synthetic oil in their Goldwing. I understand the desire to put "the best" into their baby. But it would appear the "best" is likely just GN4.

(y)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well, in Greg's defense he did say "in some cases..." and his example is a 2005. Wingmaster, your information says in 2006 or newer... So, it's not "approved" in a 2005...

All these years and I still don't understand why folks get all fired up about using synthetic oil in their Goldwing. I understand the desire to put "the best" into their baby. But it would appear the "best" is likely just GN4.

(y)
Well First of all, Greg, as a mechanic should hold his opinions to a higher standard on an open forum, why, well one reason is post #3 they guy is confused. I posted information as Honda engineers have tested and approved not just a mechanics opinion.
Second , what are you defending? I didn't say anything about a 2005 model, but since you did, lets take Gregs opinion :
"Synthetics can cause problems in 5th gens. Mainly I see it with clutch issues"
What is a fifth generation model? I believe a 2006 is considered a 5th generation and the thread title say: synthetic oils in 5th gen wings. To make a blanket statement of all synthetic oils without any data other than his opinion is not fair to our forum family. In this case he is singling out AMSOIL and blindly implying this oil may have caused clutch damage, and admits its a guess and he doesn't have the ability to analyze it.
This is where the higher standard was not used and the new members looking at oil postings get confused. If I believed that AMSOIL was the cause, I would have sent the sludge to Blackstone and AMSOIL for testing before making public opinions that shed a cloud on all synthetic oils.
Third, I do happen to disagree with the OP in this case, I only use synthetic oils in my vehicles and I have some expensive engines. I do send my oil samples to Blackstone so I can make sure I am treating my oil right. I had an 04 and a 12 model Gen 5 both used AMSOIL and neither one had a clutch problem. There are so many reasons for clutch issues to happen and most mechanics would probably agree its driver error causing them and not synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Not defending anything, Wing. Just pointing out the data you provided to counter Greg's opinion was not congruent with his example. I hold Greg to no higher a standard than anyone else on the board. It's his opinion. Everyone here only gives their opinions unless they specifically state data they have backing it up. And, there are a lot of opinions...

I actually agree with you, I don't think the use of Synthetic oil itself had anything to do with this sludge in this engine. There is nothing wrong with Greg "shedding a cloud on Synthetic oils" as, it's his opinion. Everyone sheds a cloud on tires, oils, maintenance intervals, suspension upgrades, etc. here all the time. And, they have nothing more to base it on than their opinion....

Greg tends to turn a nose down on ANYTHING that is not specifically recommended by HONDA. Those who use Synthetics tend to want to be praised on their choice and have no one call it into question. And, I tend to agree with Fred who said in another thread that these Blackstone analysis are not informative. I've never seen anyone state they've gotten an analysis that said something like, "Dang... this oil sucks!... your engine is shaving itself to death! What are you using??? HONDA oil????" Everyone always seems to get a glowing report. They tell you, "Man, you're taking great care of your engine, this oil is great! Be sure to send us another sample down the road and we'll tell you what a great guy you are... again! Thanks for the cash..."

But, that's my opinion....

I don't know of anyone who has ever been able to state that they have had an oil related failure. Know a couple of engine "no oil" related failures... I'd expect that even if you were using synthetic....

Most here do by the book or over the top maintenance... their bikes do fine.
Most in the USA do barely adequate maintenance and their bikes do OK.
Most of the bikes I see broken down on the road are Harley's and if it is their engine, it's probable a "no oil" related failure.... :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts