GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning gang,
I am in the process of getting the 1800 (02 orange) ready for spring and want to put synthetic in the rear, what's a good brand to use.
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
146 Posts
Such a question is always likely to spark brand loyalty wars here :D , but I'll brave it! At my 4,000 interval, I changed to the synthetic Amsoil fluid. I have had good luck with it in my Ford 8.8, and decided to try the Wing. Some 10,000 miles later all is still well. It didn't increase gas mileage anything noticable, didn't make all days sunny, and didn't help me win the lottery - but it seems to be lubing my final drive just fine. Which is all I expected! I believe that any brand will do the job when changed regularly and do think that most syns are better than dino. Mobil 1, Castrol, and others make good syn lube. My choice was based on past experience, availability, and cost.

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use the Mobile 1 Red cap in the engine and the Mobile 1 75-90 syn in the rear end.
Why would you need to change the rear end oil as often as every oil change?
Seems like I never changed rear dif oil in any car I have owned. Same question goes for the brake/clutch fluid??? :?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am using Mobil 1 redcap 15W50 in the engine and Mobil 1 75W90 in the rear end. When I went to Mobil 1 at 3500 miles, I really noticed a difference in shifting and the motor seemed to run smoother. So I went to mobil 1 synthetic in the rear at 4000.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to ask a dumb question. How are you guys getting the lube into the differential?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a 5 or 6" piece of clear pve tubing on the spout of the bottle and tilt it up as far as I can under the muffler and squeeze until it runs ot of the bottom hole.
Larry

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
How are you guys getting the lube into the differential?
Although I haven’t tried it yet (waiting for 4k), it’s been suggested to use a pump type oil can.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I use Amsoil in the rear differential and the engine. As for getting it in the rear differential ...what Larry said :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mobil 1 Syn also on every bike I own. 4K change interval for the rear end seems an overkill.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Amsoil, no way!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine chaned the oil in his bike and his cars to Amsoil at the same time. With in 6 months all three had MAJOR ENGINE FAILURES!!!!!!
He took his year old car back thje the dealer and was told that it was the oils fault, even though he never had told him up to this point that he had used that Amsoil.

He went back to his Amsoil dealer with the lab tests from his Honda (auto) test results and the Amsoil dealer just ran for the hill and will not respomd to mail or phone. He has served Amsoil, but there in another state and that could drag on.....

What I'm trying to tell to...... AMSOIL KILLS........ :evil:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
my high tech method of final drive refill....

I've never heard of Amsoil causing engine failure . Amsoil has been around many years.

·
Registered
605 Posts
2003grape..

Tell us the truth now. How long have you been a rep for Mobil1??? :wink:

Tony how did you get that hose to bend on the end like that?

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
BigD said:
Tony how did you get that hose to bend on the end like that?
the tubing was coiled up in a box. the curved piece worked out well for my use.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts