GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I bled the brake lines and used a synthetic to refill partly because I had trouble finding the "real" thing. This year, I've found a source for the non synthetic fluid and would like to replace last year's synthetic with this year's real fluid--any compatability issues switching from synthetic back to the real DOT 4 ?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I was wondering what kind of synthetic you used. If you used something like Valvoline Synpower why would you want to switch back to something where the specs were lower than the synthetic ?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
ALL brake fluids are synthetic...

That said, if you put DOT5 brake fluid in, you will have to flush the system out going either way. I don't recommend DOT5 in any system that calls for DOT3/4.

Valvoline Synpower is a very good fluid though. It is a standard DOT4 which is compatible with other DOT3 and 4 fluids. It is my favorite brake fluid as it has high specs and is available almost everywhere.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The use of the word synthetic when referring to glycol based products is possibly misleading -- the Valvoline SynPower may be highly refined glycol because it certainly does seem to maintain its clarity better than other DOT 3/4s I've used. Retaining clarity may mean that it resists absorbing water better, I dunno. One advantage to using some other brands, such as the Honda OE, is that the aged fluid is pretty much an amber color that makes detecting the border between the new fluid (clear) and the old (yellow) in the clear brake bleeder tubing very easy. I prefer the Valvoline SynPower anyway and I will just have to look a little closer at the pleeder tube to see the "meniscus" or borderline.

prs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts