GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED SOME INPUT ON WHETHER OR NOT SYNTHETIC OIL IS BETTER ON THE 1800. I AM GETTING MIXED REVEIWS, ONE DEALER IS SAYING THAT SYN. IS MORE SLIPPERY THAN REG. OIL, THEREFORE IT WILL AFFECT THE CLUTCH. SHOULD YOU STILL CHANGE OIL EVERY 4-5 K MILES.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man, you have asked a question that has been discussed ad nauseum in these forums. Be prepared for a variety of answers --- both good, bad, informative and just plain silly.

Since I am the first -- I change my oil according to the owners manual and use name brand oil that meets or exceeds what Honda recommends. Right now I am using synthetic because it was on sale, had a rebate and was less expensive than dino.

I've used synthetic for the last 2 oil changes. Did I notice a difference when I switched to synthetic? I had not used synthetic since I had bought it new in 03 - I have 30,000 miles - I must answer none, what so ever. No increased mileage, or smoother shifting. Nothing of which others have reported. Same bike, same performance,

Let the madness continue---grabbing popcorn and soda now and will enjoy the show.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
papa benny said:
OOOOOOOOH My!! Here we go!!
As long as they don't have friction modifiers you can run your choice!!!
AMSOIL!!!
Ditto to the post above,Your dealer does not know his stuff. Use motorcycle specific, change before it is dirty(JMHO) use standard or synthetic(I use Amsoil-use what makes you happy)change it yourself(takes 5 minutes,check the tires for cuts and wear while your down there. Leave front cowling on) change every 3000 to 10,000 miles(I do it at 3000 to 4000 and I know it is overkill especially with Amsoil but I enjoy tinkering. Change the filter too.Also the less you ride it Stop and go city type driving the more you should change it near the 3000 mark. These guys who ride long distances and run up the mileage fast can get away with every 10,000)
JMHO :D

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
ddking said:
Amsoil. Feels the same at 16000 miles as it does at 0.

[Yeah, I did it once. Won't do it again. Bike totaled anyway. Don't bother flaming. :lol: ]
As long as it's clean, no problem. Did it really need changing at 16,000? :?:

pjg991: I'd recommend following manufacturer recommendations for oil and changing every 8,000 miles (or more). If you want to use a synthetic oil for motorcycles go ahead.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
MAybe it is in my mind but after 4k the bike seems to shift quieter and smoother with fresh oil

·
Registered
155 Posts
:arrow: Let’s not think about this from a science argument but rather a common sense story that gave me my answer.

9 years ago I spent money on Mobil 1 for my vehicles for about 4 years of oil changes. I had thought that for my new car and my old truck, "Wow man, science says this stuff stays slippery better than conventional when it dips into the single digits and so it must be good for my vehicles, right?"

Well, it’s 9 years or so later. I've been using conventional for the past 5. My old truck is even older and my new car is no longer new. Both still run like champs.

The 1990 truck has 120,000 miles. The 1997 car has 93,000. Oil & filter have always been changed at 5,000 to 6,000 intervals since new. Truck has always used ½ to 1 quart between changes; car, not a drop. Neither smoke. Neither give me trouble. Both are pretty much daily drivers.

Something to note, one downside to using synthetic, besides the money spent, is that the truck starting leaking oil at the front seal right after I switched to synthetic. The truck had about 80,000 miles on it when I switched. I was told that it was because of switching to synthetic on such an older engine. Right or wrong, all I can tell ya is that it leaks since then.

Anyhow, point being, I think we worry way too much about our vehicles when they are new. They eventually are no longer new. We stop worrying. We replace them. They get stolen. They get crashed. And we don’t see the benefits, if there actually are any, of running synthetic. But luckily, you have others to learn from.

My advice: Change your oil and filter at least as often as the manual says and realize that 3,000 mile intervals are bull$hit marketing scams designed to sell more oil (and waste our planet’s resources). Use the correct grade of any SAE approved oil and any name brand filter. Then buy something else with the money you save. Oh yea, and ask yourself what it is exactly that you expect out of the synthetic. Even if you get it, will it be worth it to you for the added expense?

:arrow: When's the last time you ever heard someone say, "Man, if only my engine would have lasted longer I wouldn't have traded her in on something new"? We desire something new long before then. And even if you do get a few extra miles between rebuilds by using synthetic how much did that cost you. It’s like paying to add insulation to your attic. What will it cost? What will you save in energy? How long will it take before what you save will equal what you spent? :idea: Things people usually don’t consider- effort (or cost) Vs. reward.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
mp06011999 said:
My advice: Change your oil and filter at least as often as the manual says and realize that 3,000 mile intervals are bull$hit marketing scams designed to sell more oil (and waste our planet’s resources).
Amen! Good post.

Actually, I believe 30 years ago more frequent changes may have been important - the oil got dirty faster. But with all the advances over time in precision design, the oil stays cleaner much longer - just like spark plugs last a lot longer.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
William Anzik said:
mp06011999 said:
My advice: Change your oil and filter at least as often as the manual says and realize that 3,000 mile intervals are bull$hit marketing scams designed to sell more oil (and waste our planet’s resources).
Amen! Good post.

Actually, I believe 30 years ago more frequent changes may have been important - the oil got dirty faster. But with all the advances over time in precision design, the oil stays cleaner much longer - just like spark plugs last a lot longer.
I cant argue the above. But I still change my oil 3-4K. I like to tinker

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
KA7W said:
I don't like to tinker, I like to ride !! So I change mine every 15,000 miles whether it needs it or not !! Also run RotellaT Synthetic and it pours so good when cold !!

But my bike would probably run as long and as well on dino !!

JMHO 8)
:lol:

I like to tinker but there are other things to tinker with.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
KA7W said:
I don't like to tinker, I like to ride !! So I change mine every 15,000 miles whether it needs it or not !! Also run RotellaT Synthetic and it pours so good when cold !!

But my bike would probably run as long and as well on dino !!

JMHO 8)

Come on Tom. You use car tires change you oil every 15K buy the cheapest oil and off brand filter, leave your bike in the rain and snow, travel on a dirt road cause you can't afford to pave it, ride in the rain to clean the mud off your bike, never adjust the valves as long as the bike runs, probably have never changed the hydrolic brake fluid, don't change brake pads until you hear the scrapping in the rotors,never change the anti freeze(me either)change the spark plugs every 150,000 miles , change the air filter every 100,000 and use a rear car tire not because it handles better but because your cheap and can get 30-40,000 miles on it.
:D RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
laen said:
MAybe it is in my mind but after 4k the bike seems to shift quieter and smoother with fresh oil
I know it's time to change oil when I hear my shifts. At first I thought I was just getting sloppy.

Dino oil shifting gets clanky at about 4K; syn at about 8K but that's in DC stop-n-go with a lot of hard stops and goes! I use Castrol 10/40 with a bit of Evans stabilizer and Wal-mart Super-tech filters.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
Tom I am jerking your chain a bit. Most of us do extra maint. because we like to mess with the bike. I truely don't think the brand of filter or oil really matters

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.