GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting the FOBO TPMS on my trike and i was wondering if anyone on here has them and if you are using the T style valve stems any info would be greatly appreciated. My bike is a 2007 Motor Trike Razor if that matters. Ken

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Fobo

I am thinking about putting the FOBO TPMS on my trike and i was wondering if anyone on here has them and if you are using the T style valve stems any info would be greatly appreciated. My bike is a 2007 Motor Trike Razor if that matters. Ken
i have a few notes for you:

1) They can be troublesome to connect to a phone.
2) They sometimes disconnect from my phone when I'm riding.
3) I have and like the T-stems.
4) I'm considering upgrading to the current revision sensor which use newer BT technology.
5) They are not perfect but I do recommend them.
6) I have been using them for about 3 years.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
where did you get your T valves from ? and are you looking at the newer FOBO system or a different brand.

I use the t valves and got them from cycle gear. They had the best price on a pair. If I recall they were about $20 for a pair. I use FOBO and like them. You really need to be careful about setting your upper limits because of the increased pressure when the tire gets hot. I set my low limit about 3 psi below where I like my pressure. I set the high very high so I don’t get slarms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
The T valves are only so you don't have to remove the sensors when adding air to tire? Is removing the sensor a difficult thing to do? Valves stems are a top spot to develop problems like air leaks, does this not double the number of stem valves which double the possible trouble spots?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, the T Valve is so you do not have to remove the sensor to add air. It also keeps the sensor in line and upright with the wheel. When the wheel spins, the pressure is pushed straight down on the valve stem. When you use a 90 degree angle valve stem, it puts more force on the valve stem.

It is not a big deal to remove the sensor without the T Valve. It is just like a normal valve stem cap. I have them on my Honda TPM stems now. Take them on and off all the time when checking air pressure. If you use the locking rings, then yes, it is a little more work to get the sensors off. I do not use the locking rings. Next time I switch out tires, I will put T valves in to get them upright.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The T valves are only so you don't have to remove the sensors when adding air to tire? Is removing the sensor a difficult thing to do? Valves stems are a top spot to develop problems like air leaks, does this not double the number of stem valves which double the possible trouble spots?
Removing and replacing the sensors isn't terribly difficult. On the other hand I have them because the convenience seems to have an affect on how often I actually address the tire pressures. I've not had any problems with leaking valve cores, although when the sensors are installed the valve core for that sensor is immaterial as it is opened continuously by the sensor.

Reactions: SuperAirIan

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did not think about the fact the valve is always open when using sensors. I use Garmin sensors and Curvy Girl stems. These sensors are just as easy to remove as a stem cap and need a new battery almost every year. CG stems are heavy duty and should handle the added weight of the sensors even when angled with no problem.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this is a lot of great info thank you guys . now i just have to find out where to buy the T valves at . I do see that they offer them trew FOBO but I like to shop around so the hunt is on for them . I am also looking at putting a F4 +4 on my trike . I am 5'10 and some of the time i ride two up when my wife is not in the mood to ride her own bike and when we are on trips . My thoughts are the F4+4 tinted with the vent but my question is the tinted to dark at night . not that we ride a whole lot at night but it does happen and with the extra height it would be impossible to look over the shield . I was thinking of staying with the clear but then i was thinking that with the extra height would the shield act like a magnifying glass on the gauges and cause some problems with the plastic gauge covers. or am i over thinking this again .

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
<...>now i just have to find out where to buy the T valves at . I do see that they offer them trew FOBO but I like to shop around so the hunt is on for them<...>
Post #4 had some sources, but prices all run around the same amount.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
this is a lot of great info thank you guys . now i just have to find out where to buy the T valves at . I do see that they offer them trew FOBO but I like to shop around so the hunt is on for them . I am also looking at putting a F4 +4 on my trike . I am 5'10 and some of the time i ride two up when my wife is not in the mood to ride her own bike and when we are on trips . My thoughts are the F4+4 tinted with the vent but my question is the tinted to dark at night . not that we ride a whole lot at night but it does happen and with the extra height it would be impossible to look over the shield . I was thinking of staying with the clear but then i was thinking that with the extra height would the shield act like a magnifying glass on the gauges and cause some problems with the plastic gauge covers. or am i over thinking this again .
I run a lightly tinted Tulsa Extra Tall with the original Honda Vent. If they were still in business and I needed to replace it, I'd buy exactly the same one again. The nearest thing to it presently seems to be the F4+4. Between the Tulsa Extra Tall and the Mirror Wings I installed, my better half's helmet buffeting was eliminated. OTOH in warm weather (85*F-90*F+) it can get a bit warm for the driver at low speeds. I've had no night vision, reflection or distortion issues with the light tint of this windshield.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
When shopping around for the T valves at other locations, consider the cost of shipping. It may be less costly to buy the sensors and valves stems at the same place. I have the FOBO and T valves, and like them. Have had no connection issues, but, did get a lot of alarms once the tires heat up. I will follow the suggestion about raising the upper limit. As to the T valves, yes, the sensor is easy to remove/replace, the vale stem cap is just a little easier. With the sensor in place you can get a reading on your phone, although it takes a minute or so. Without the T valve stem, you have to instal - remove - air up, repeat. Yes, an air gauge is accurate, but mine does not read in tenths, like the FOBO does.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Two digital pressure gauges confirm both of my Fobo 2 sensors read roughly 1 psia low.

I don't think I can switch my pressure gauges to kpa, but suspect it may be rounding errors in the app.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Thing I love about the FOBO/t-valve combo is that you can watch the pressure while airing (or releasing air) and don’t have to alternate between air hose and gauge. I can also check my tires from my bedroom above the garage while I drink my morning coffee...

:thumbup:

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
678 Posts
I just took delivery of the FOBO 2 in January. Salutica offered me (2) "free" T-Valves.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received my FOB TPMS last week and installed them on my trike it was really easy to set up . I have not had time to put the T valves in yet but that will be next week . So here is another question my valve stem on my trikes rear tires come out at a angle and not straight up when i put the T valves in do you think it will make a difference if i put the TPMS on side of the valev or does it have to be straight up on top.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Before I got my FOBO sensors my tires always lost a few psi every few weeks. After I got my sensors no more air loss hardly at all. My conclusion is the valve stems leak very slightly.

I’ve fought slow leaks with other tires and it’s been the valve stems also.

No way I would ever add additional valve stems.

To add air I just remove the sensor.... slightly overfill tires with a gage. Reinstall sensors and adjust pressure by loosening the sensor while watching the pressure on my iPhone. Really pretty simple. Removing and replacing the sensor is no more difficult than removing and replacing a stem cap. I don’t use the locking device.

YMMV.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I had a catastrophic rubber-stem failure on an ST1300 last year near Drumheller. In the absolute geographic centre of No-Place-In-Particular. It took almost four hours to get a haul from a friend and my trailer was 3.5 hours away with my truck 1.5 hours away...in the opposite direction.

Answer? FOBO metal T valves!

Now my 'Wing AND the ST are T'd. Sensors on the top to keep the centre-of-mass as close to the middle as possible. The 90* Shraders are fitted to the right side of the bike to facilitate side-stand air adjustments...unlike every OEM-stemmed '18 and '19 I've seen around here at Calgary Powerhouse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts