GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have much experience with TYRE (www.tyretotravel.com) from the Netherlands? I ran across it several years ago but it only had an interface to TomTom at that time. They now work with Garmin devices so I thought I'd give it a try.

I downloaded the free version and it seems to work pretty well so far (as expected YMMV based on individual hardware, operating systems and internet connections). TYRE uses Google maps, exports to GPX, will load directly to your Garmin or SD card if connected to your computer, and seems to be considerably easier than Base Camp or Map Source. I've found it's easy to save waypoints (WP) and POIs.

Route planning is a snap. I plug in start and destination WP's then Google computes the route. I can drag the route to modify it for my own preferences (i.e., stay off the slab) and it automatically enters the WP's in proper sequence. I have found that if the WP's are too far apart, my GPS can reroute on its own, so I add additional WP's to ensure that doesn't happen. Overall so far I've found it is much less "clunky" than other software programs.

Just trying to see if there are others that may have experiences or observations with the product that I may have missed.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've used and been fairly happy with Tyre for a number of years. Now . . . .that said . . . . Every now and then you have to hit the "recalculate" button or it doesn't get the order of the Waypoints correct on the Map. Also it helps to save your work, close the program and then reopen it. If you don't do this periodically it'll freeze and anything since your last "save" will be lost. Finally, in the past few weeks with their latest "update" there seems to be a limit on the number of "Favorites" that can be saved. No warning or anything in preferences . . . you just can't add anymore Favorites or any Waypoints for that matter. So-o-o-o-o-o-o for the past week I've been learning how to use BaseCamp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts