GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
Cap:
How's Gk supposed to talk about you behind your back when yer never off the forum for more than ten minutes at a time?

GK:
If you need to sneak one by, the method is simple. Being our resident word-smith, just dial up the nomenclature. You KNOW you got the tools...

Speaking of oil, here's something worth reading: we all know that in the past, as the price of gas rose, so also did the price of oil. None can predict the permanence of this latest round of price hikes. Honda dealer's price for GN4 hasn't gone up at recently: but I'm thinking that soon enough, we might see a huge price spike. Maybe time, no matter what oil ya like, to stock up while the price is relatively low? Wish we could have done that a year ago with gasoline...
Good point. I'm heading to the dealer today to buy a couple of gallons of GN4. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Cap:
How's Gk supposed to talk about you behind your back when yer never off the forum for more than ten minutes at a time?

GK:
If you need to sneak one by, the method is simple. Being our resident word-smith, just dial up the nomenclature. You KNOW you got the tools...

Speaking of oil, here's something worth reading: we all know that in the past, as the price of gas rose, so also did the price of oil. None can predict the permanence of this latest round of price hikes. Honda dealer's price for GN4 hasn't gone up at recently: but I'm thinking that soon enough, we might see a huge price spike. Maybe time, no matter what oil ya like, to stock up while the price is relatively low? Wish we could have done that a year ago with gasoline...
Unlike gasoline, at least oil stores well w/o going bad for quite a while.

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
There yea go, talking about me behind my back.. :love: .. (see I just learn'd something today../were suppose to change oil??lol)

Ronnie
3/15/22
I had a Volvo sedan (B144A, I think). Great car that I bought new in 1971 for $3300. So one day in 1973 or '74, I'm at the dealer in San Francisco for something, and there's a girl there with the same model/year. We're chatting--early Volvos and Saabs were cult cars--and I ask her, "How often do you change the oil?" And she says, "Change it? Why would I change it."

·
Registered
620 Posts
However, I think the OP had a legit question.
I agree. That's why I didn't follow up with suggestions like Crisco or EVOO. I don't know, I hear Avocado oil has a really high smoke point.

Seriously though, a quick search would have resulted in a thousand hits, any one of which would have provided the same 4 or 5 conclusions about the "best" oil to use. What replaces T-6? Well, any oil that meets the spec and one's budget. It really is that simple and the reason that "oil threads" cause so much ruckus.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Don't forget to check your local Home Depot for T-6. Crazy, but yes, they carry it. I got lucky yesterday and they got a shipment in. Grabbed 6 gallons for my truck, wing, ATV, and KLR. It was even a buck cheaper then what Wal Mart is selling it for if they had it.
No T6 at the local Depot. Shelf spots empty, but lots of Rotella T4 in all common viscosities.

·
Registered
2007 GL1800A
87 Posts
This is what I use....sold at O'Reilly's auto parts.
This is just a curiosity question so PLEASE don't start another oil argument thread. I have only had my GL a couple of years so I haven't participated in any of the other oil debates.
The recommended oil viscosity is 10W-40 (i.e.10 weight oil) so is there justification somewhere for switching to the 5W-40? I have no idea what the performance difference is or the good bad or ugly. It's just a question.
Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive wheel system Wood Gas

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
7,674 Posts
Wouldn't matter in normal riding conditions. Also, FYI, you can't stop an oil thread by saying you weren't intending to start one.

• Haha
Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The "w" designation on oil is how the oil acts at "winter (cold)" temps. For the most part, it's a bit irrelevant for motorcycle operations or concern, in my opinion.
The 5w-40 I use is a very high quality engine oil that I also use in various other applications and works excellent in my motorcycle (s) which is a bonus of not having to keep yet another item stocked.

Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Registered
2007 GL1800A
87 Posts
The "w" designation on oil is how the oil acts at "winter (cold)" temps. For the most part, it's a bit irrelevant for motorcycle operations or concern, in my opinion.
The 5w-40 I use is a very high quality engine oil that I also use in various other applications and works excellent in my motorcycle (s) which is a bonus of not having to keep yet another item stocked.
Yes sir.....I can definitely see how it would perform better in very cold temperatures.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Superior acceleration sounds awesome! Does it state if that is from a standing start, already in motion as in overtaking another bike/vehicle, or wear on the internal parts of an engine LOL

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Local Fleet Farm had lots of Rotella, just no T6. All the spots where it normally is/was are bare.
Plenty of Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 and also Mobil/Exxon DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40.
I wait for their sale and the $12/gallon rebate period to resupply my shelf.
Shelf Shelving Retail Gas Packaging and labeling
Tire Automotive tire Product Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some retailers will jack up the price of an item when availability is limited. Knowing full well the item is not going to sell at the inflated price. That way they do not have to rewrite the ads when the product becomes available, just lower the price.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Seems like a good price. In case you want to change oil often............

·
Registered
8,551 Posts
Seems like a good price. In case you want to change oil often............

Calling Ronnie, aka Captron to the white courtesy phone. ;)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts