GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I pulled the trigger and now I have a table lift (direct lift XLT).
I LOVE CRAIGS LIST!
SOOOOOO... I'm not looking for which lift is better etc etc etc...

What tips and tricks have you learned?
What mods have you made?
What mistakes have you made?
What procedures do you use?

Anything else useful to the table lift newbie.:shrug:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have the harbor fright lift and had to:

1. Lengthen the table by 10inches to be able to put the bike in the center stand to line up with the wheel drop opening.
2. Added two U bolts on each side to have 4 points to strap the bike down. I drive up on the lift and put it on the center stand. Use ratched straps to strap the center stand to one of the front engine guards, then strap all four of the engine guards to the U bolts. Then lift the bike.
3. Use a 2 x 10 X 6ft on the left side sitting on two 8" blocks. This allows me to use the side stand and get off the bike and put it on the center stand using the platform to stand on.

4. Remove the lift and let down pedals from the unit, so no surprises and put in the metal safety bar just in case the hydraulic leaks down.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Make sure and fold down the antennas before lifting bike:eek:4:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Make sure and fold down the antennas before lifting bike:eek:4:
Opps, forgot that one.:lol: I have had to let it back down so I could safely fold the antenna. Luckily I have a Serria fiberglass one so it bends easily.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I inset mine into the garage concrete floor. Eliminates the need for side extensions. Never have to move it either.
I'm planning on installing those garage tiles and set the lift about 7/16" above floor so it will be flush with the tiles when complete.
I recommend a bigger compressor.

AG GL

·
Registered
170 Posts
JohnACman: I've looked at, studied, and raised the Harbor Freight Lift Table at my local H.F. store a dozen times and they frequently put it on sale. Got a couple of questions: 1. Since it's rated at 1000 lbs the 1800 would be at 80% or better of it's capacity. Does it lift the wing with fair ease? 2. The jack underneath doesn't look too strong and the way it's mounted seems like it would be difficult to get it out to be worked on incase it started leaking, lost power, etc. How long have you had yours and are you satisfied with the power and quality.
Thanks, John. Ride Safe, Stobby

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
JohnACman: I've looked at, studied, and raised the Harbor Freight Lift Table at my local H.F. store a dozen times and they frequently put it on sale. Got a couple of questions: 1. Since it's rated at 1000 lbs the 1800 would be at 80% or better of it's capacity. Does it lift the wing with fair ease? 2. The jack underneath doesn't look too strong and the way it's mounted seems like it would be difficult to get it out to be worked on incase it started leaking, lost power, etc. How long have you had yours and are you satisfied with the power and quality.
Thanks, John. Ride Safe, Stobby
I've had it over a year now and have lifted the wing 8 or 10 times on it with out a problem. I had to go through the purging process when I first tried to life it, after that no problem. The lift is a little short for the wing so I added 10" to the front and that cured that problem. I never even installed the front wheel vise, that's a waste of metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts