GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Friday the dealer ordered the parts I need for the "campaigns" and the replacement speedometer, he will call when they get in.

We just went for a 200 mile ride and for the first 40 minutes the sun was over my right shoulder and behind me so all the guages were in direct sunlight for that time.

After about 5 minutes, the speedometer stuck at 60 so I was driving on the tach but after a while I noticed it too was sticking.

There are marks on both guages where the back end of the needle was dragging and I could see the black plastic was warping up in the heat.

OK, so the question is, do they replace the entire guage panel or just the speedo portion? If just the speedo then I need to get the dealer to also order the tach. BUT if they replace the entire guage panel then I will just wait till he calls.

Thanks people.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's been a while since I had mine done, but I'm pretty sure they replace the entire face plate as it's one piece. My speedo was all that ever stuck. After the fix, my fuel and temp guages started sticking, which led to the entire instrument cluster being replaced with an updated '02 cluster.
I know of one other 1800 that had the fuel and temp guages stick after the fix also.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I seem to recall that if the tach sticks, then the whole instrument gauge panel gets changed. If its only the speedo, just the speedo gets changed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
sticking tach

I had the same problem, dealer replaced the whole lot, and this meant that my odometer had zero miles showing when I picked up the bike after the work.
Aussie bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts