GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I was replacing my cubby lid. ($80) Because I wanted to remove the power distribution panel. So I had the top cover off and thought why not go a few more steps and change the Air Filter. My local guy wants $185, maybe I should have taken him up on that. Three hours to disassemble, 5 days waiting on filter, 4 hours to assemble. Note to self next time order filter before you need it. The bike has 19k miles. Back together last photo. Everything is working, no extra parts! Thank you Fred!

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Tire Wheel
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
549 Posts
So last weekend I was replacing my cubby lid. ($80) Because I wanted to remove the power distribution panel. So I had the top cover off and thought why not go a few more steps and change the Air Filter. My local guy wants $185, maybe I should have taken him up on that. Three hours to disassemble, 5 days waiting on filter, 4 hours to assemble. Note to self next time order filter before you need it. The bike has 19k miles. Back together last photo. Everything is working, no extra parts! Thank you Fred!

. View attachment 391265 View attachment 391266 View attachment 391267
Oh yeah. That looks like a nightmare! I can’t wait to do mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've been quoted 2.5 labor hours at $90/hr plus the cost of the filter. I did mine at 24k miles and, yes, I followed Fred's videos. While it's a lot of "work" to get to all the clips, screws, and such, to me, it's not the kind of work that's worth $90/hr. At least, not to me. I actually had fun doing it along with a couple of beers. Plus, I know more about my bike than I did before while I saved myself more than the cost of Fred's videos. I'll do the next change as well. For those who use an Indy or a dealer for this type of labor, you've got lots more money than I do, so more power to ya'.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My local guy wants $185,
If you can drop it off and pick it up at your convenience, and your local guy does good work, I'd spend the $185 instead of doing it myself again.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In God I trust, me sometimes! Everyone else will leave something out! A screw here, a grommet there, a push pin somewhere.

extra bonus - if you look at the last photo you can see my new external FM antenna. ( Max video)

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
In God I trust, me sometimes! Everyone else will leave something out! A screw here, a grommet there, a push pin somewhere.

extra bonus - if you look at the last photo you can see my new external FM antenna. ( Max video)
Tell me about the antenna. My 21 Tour has an almost useless AM/FM.

·
IronMan
18,589 Posts
AFTER YA DO IT COUPLE TIMES ITS ABOUT AN HOUR JOB

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great now you tell me after I buttoned her up Roadie!

1. Max has a Video on the external Antenna he added to Iron Horse. He has the links to the parts on the video. One external antrenna and one adapter. Drill a hole to mount, bada-bing.
2. Badge Ring. Value-Accessories sells a ring light (I think its for Spiders)that works for directional too. White norm/ amber directional Steve080 mounted his on top of his badge, I mounted mine under so the edge is only showing. Steve's is very bright! You will need an ISO block to do this. Talk to Rick at Value.
3. Traxxion Dynamics has the GPS mount, you remove the useless air vent in front.

Here is the link to Antenna and adapter both Amazon purchases.

Special Adapter: https://amzn.to/3AhcnNg

Antenna: https://amzn.to/3iBMeme

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is a better picture of the placement of the antenna and the badge ring in normal and with turn signal on.

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been quoted 2.5 labor hours at $90/hr plus the cost of the filter. I did mine at 24k miles and, yes, I followed Fred's videos. While it's a lot of "work" to get to all the clips, screws, and such, to me, it's not the kind of work that's worth $90/hr. At least, not to me. I actually had fun doing it along with a couple of beers. Plus, I know more about my bike than I did before while I saved myself more than the cost of Fred's videos. I'll do the next change as well. For those who use an Indy or a dealer for this type of labor, you've got lots more money than I do, so more power to ya'.
I hear ya, when it comes time, I'm doing it myself. I do all my own GS service, the dealer charges $350 for the small service and $700 for the big service. Now that I know what I'm doing I can do the small in 1hr with ~$50 in parts/fluids and can do the big service in 2hrs with about $100 in parts/fluids. That's $300/hr I'm making, woohoo! Maybe some of you guys make $300/hr at your job, I certainly don't, so doing this myself is a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pou - i recommend Fred's Videos if your going to be doing most of your own work. I didn't need them for any of my addons, but for the Air Filter I bought them instead of paying a mechanic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pou - i recommend Fred's Videos if your going to be doing most of your own work. I didn't need them for any of my addons, but for the Air Filter I bought them instead of paying a mechanic.
Thanks, I've already bought them, very well done! I'd love to get my hands on a factory service manual as well, but that seems to be unobtainium. I have the BMW REPROM CD for the BMW, it's great to have the factory manual.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Iaen- if it was just screws it wouldn't be that bad, but all those cable stays on the cubby!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts