GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Saturday I am headed out to buy a still in the box harbor freight trailer. The PO bought it four years ago and never put it together. I know the wheel bearings will need to be repacked, what other things should I look at doing to it? Should I look into new tires since these are a few years old?

·
Registered
555 Posts
You've already touched on the major points. Repack the bearings with good grease. Get plenty of brake cleaner, because the sticky snot stuff they use sucks. I like lucas heavy duty grease. It's rated for high speed wheel bearings.

On top of that, another popular mod is to get new tires a hair bigger. I think its 4.80x4 with a 4x4 lug pattern.

I moved up to a full on 8" tire, Kendas, from etrailer. Another very popular mod, but DO NOT USE HARBOR FREIGHT TIRES. They have stopped selling trailers because of the garbage tires they were including. I have enjoyed these kendas, and they track well;

AM3H200 Kenda 165/65-8 Bias Trailer Tire with 8" White Wheel - 4 on 4 - Load Range C

Another popular mod is to use eye bolts where the clamshell connects to the chassis. This will allow you to bungee down your stuff for transit. I did it, but I have mixed emotions about it.

Hope that helps, they are awesome little trailers once you upgrade them a little bit.

Attachments

Reactions: rob.lafady

·
Registered
907 Posts
Definitely check the tires good. Look at the year on them. Something else to think about is possibly buying a tongue jack for it. This is what I bought for mine:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack/etrailer/TJ01RT.html#/

For the price, it's easy to install and works great.

I also swapped out my regular lights on the trailer for LED lights. I also added some additional lights to my trailer. I was given a swivel hitch for the trailer and I put that on as well. I lined the inside with some auto carpet that I picked up at Pep Boys. I changed out the bolts that hold the shell on the trailer with some eye bolts so that I could tie stuff down inside the trailer. I also mounted a camp grill on the tongue and use it to carry an ice chest. I can send you some pics if you like. I think the most expensive thing I added was the LED tail lights at about $40 from HF.

Good luck and enjoy it!!!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The recall a few years back sent me the LED lights as a fix. Also they recently took all HF trailers of the market because the tires weren't DOT certified, so I'd look into it as well. Both may be free upgrades. I'd add a spare tire and if upgrading the tires go with 6 ply. I pulled mine 17k miles with no issues until a bearing seal leaked and I had to redo replace the bearings, then upgraded the tires after about 20k and it's still kicking. Some day to remove the helper spring, I chose not to but I tend to pack heavy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've already touched on the major points. Repack the bearings with good grease. Get plenty of brake cleaner, because the sticky snot stuff they use sucks. I like lucas heavy duty grease. It's rated for high speed wheel bearings.

On top of that, another popular mod is to get new tires a hair bigger. I think its 4.80x4 with a 4x4 lug pattern.

I moved up to a full on 8" tire, Kendas, from etrailer. Another very popular mod, but DO NOT USE HARBOR FREIGHT TIRES. They have stopped selling trailers because of the garbage tires they were including. I have enjoyed these kendas, and they track well;

AM3H200 Kenda 165/65-8 Bias Trailer Tire with 8" White Wheel - 4 on 4 - Load Range C

Another popular mod is to use eye bolts where the clamshell connects to the chassis. This will allow you to bungee down your stuff for transit. I did it, but I have mixed emotions about it.

Hope that helps, they are awesome little trailers once you upgrade them a little bit.
Thank you, I just ordered a set of those wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I also welded up a cooler rack and mounted it up front and built a tongue jack to hold it all level at camp.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I also welded up a cooler rack and mounted it up front and built a tongue jack to hold it all level at camp.

Hey Pasto do you have your own welder? I have been toying with buying a welder at HF... I mean 200 bucks for the gear and I think I'd spend more on that with having someone do the work. Are you a pro or just a guy with a welder? Looking for tips because I need to put a cooler rack on my time out and if I can learn something new all the better.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is how I attached the cooler rack to the trailer. It allows me to remove the ball from the bike and add the rack to the bike if I need to get groceries while camping. I also have a bag that I put on the rack if I need more luggage room.

And yes Derick you can do all this with a HF welder.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a flux wire welder, and it works but I'm sure no pro. I grind a lot of splatter off to clean up my projects, wish I had a gas or an oxy-acetyline. My rack is simply an angle iron frame specifically matching my Pelletier cooler's dimensions. I could have bolted or riveted up rack as well. Really like that rack on a double hitch adapter, unfortunately I've a verticle hitch on my wing. Need to explore that concept, it would be nice when running for camp supplies (I have a time out camper too with a different rack). On my trailers over also added flashing LED strips to the brake lights and non flashing steps to the running light circuit to make my trailer more visible from the back. From the side I added black reflective 3M vinyl designs that really stand out in anyone's headlights.

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
can use oem kickstand - off 1800 - when parking trailer there about $ 15 northern tool has good tires/wheels also

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
HF trailers are a good deal. I am on my fourth one now. I like it the best of all because it has a welded frame instead of the bolt together one. My original tires lasted 20k miles and I just put new ones on for a trip I am taking. I got them from HF also. They are Carlisle tires which is what I like to use also. HF had a recall on the original tire but mine were not the ones that were recalled. They also sent me a set of LED tail lights under a recall. BTW I have never replaced the grease in my hubs on any HF trailer I have owned. I do take them apart and check the seal surface on the axle and adjust the bearings. This last one had a lot of welding sprue stuck to the sealing surface that I had to file off. If I hadn't, it would have eat the seal up in no time. Might want to check that and repack the grease if it makes you feel better.

Attachments

Reactions: Derick

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have a HF w/17K+ on it.
I didn't change the grease, but just added a finger full of high speed grease inside the hub and around the bearings. No problem.
I did back off the castellated nut on the hub one notch... way too tight.
On my second set of tires now. Just bought another HF set.

I used some chain-link from some light weight swing chain to use as inside tie downs. They are twisted in a manner that one link is flat to the trailer, while the other link is at 90 degrees. I attached them and a large washer where the box to frame bolts are.

I also solved the 'clunk' that the trailer makes when lightly loaded and going over bumps.
Buy a couple of the HF casters (blue ones). Remove the wheels from the casters, push out the metal sleeve inside the wheel and slip the wheels on the bolts at the back of the trailer spring leaves. It makes a nice rubber bushing.
Most people think that the noise is created when the leaves hit the back bolts, but it is really from the leaves bouncing and hitting the trailer frame.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
How much did these cost when they were new? I sure wish they still sold them.
Some stores still have them in stock. New price was $299.xx if memory serves me.

Not sure where you live, but the HF in Mattoon, IL had one listed for $197.xx just last Sunday.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
HF just brought their trailers back after a year or so. The Tag-along is just over $300 and already has the legal tires and I suspect LED lights. So they're a bit more than before but add a spare tire and it's still a deal.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah I think I paid 220 for mine w/ a coupon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HF just brought theory trailers back after a year or so. The Tag-along is just over $300 and already has the legal tires and I suspect LED lights. So they're a bit more than before but add a spare tire and it's still a deal.

I'm not seeing them available online.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well of that doesn't beat all. I celebrated when HF brought their Haul Master trailors back after so long and almost bought a second tag-along then. Sure enough they don't list then now. That's baffeling, maybe a supply issue. All I see now is the small trailer frame, albeit in orange not black. However there another source, Northern Tool and it includes a tongue stand, rear bumper and basket/rack on the front for $399 on sale. Unfortunately many would need to pay outrageous shipping, none out west for sure. Shipping alone would be more than it would cost me to ride to buy, assemble and drag home!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Definitely check the tires good. Look at the year on them. Something else to think about is possibly buying a tongue jack for it. This is what I bought for mine:

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack/etrailer/TJ01RT.html#/

For the price, it's easy to install and works great.

I also swapped out my regular lights on the trailer for LED lights. I also added some additional lights to my trailer. I was given a swivel hitch for the trailer and I put that on as well. I lined the inside with some auto carpet that I picked up at Pep Boys. I changed out the bolts that hold the shell on the trailer with some eye bolts so that I could tie stuff down inside the trailer. I also mounted a camp grill on the tongue and use it to carry an ice chest. I can send you some pics if you like. I think the most expensive thing I added was the LED tail lights at about $40 from HF.

Good luck and enjoy it!!!!
Thanks for the link to the tongue jack. I just ordered one.
I just picked up a HF tag along also 2 weeks ago. Owner stated it had less than 100 miles on it and I believe him.
He did the tire and LED light change out along with changing the grease in the bearings.
Need to change to taller tires as the ones on it have a date code of 2014
Please send me pics of your cooler rack.

·
Registered
623 Posts
HF trailers are a good deal. I am on my fourth one now. I like it the best of all because it has a welded frame instead of the bolt together one. My original tires lasted 20k miles and I just put new ones on for a trip I am taking. I got them from HF also. They are Carlisle tires which is what I like to use also. HF had a recall on the original tire but mine were not the ones that were recalled. They also sent me a set of LED tail lights under a recall. BTW I have never replaced the grease in my hubs on any HF trailer I have owned. I do take them apart and check the seal surface on the axle and adjust the bearings. This last one had a lot of welding sprue stuck to the sealing surface that I had to file off. If I hadn't, it would have eat the seal up in no time. Might want to check that and repack the grease if it makes you feel better.
What size tires are you running and where did you get the hubcaps / rims out in your picture?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts