GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has the web site for tag a long bags conversion.....

·
Registered
742 Posts
http://www.tagalongtrailers.info/

I just converted to a Motor Trike a month ago. Have collected all the pieces and parts needed to build a "kida-sorta" bag hauler....

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Cool Custom Trikes builds and sells kits for building Tag-A-Longs.

I have one that I built from a CCT kit and added [needed] internal bracing. It is Caliente Red (2002 Goldwing color) and ready to go. We live in the Austin area which is not too far for you to come see it if interested! I will sell it at a very attractive price for pick up at our home.

I no longer have the trike that I built the Tag for and a hitch receiver is not available for the roadster that I currently have. Otherwise it would not be for sale.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What did you use for the floor in between the bags?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
What did you use for the floor in between the bags?
CCT supplies a sheet of semi-rigid plastic that can be formed to curve upward in the front and and be attached with rivits to the leading edge of the side cases. Some use plywood but that allows much more water and debris to enter the center area.

The CCT kit is quite good though it needs more bracing to keep the side cases from popping open as a result of vibrations. I added light weight aluminum bracing and solved the problem.

Mine is still available. It is 'Caliente Red', a 2008 GL1800 color, and is in excellent condition. I've received lots of interest but because of the bulk and requirement for professional packing to protect the finish, I hope that someone can come get it in central Texas. It would be expensive to ship.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I built my own after looking at one of the kits.....

Went to my local welder and gave him a diagram of what I needed for the frame....Used a sheet of plywood for the floor, and mounted the rest on that....went to a local tent awning shop and had the black snap on cover made......center is big enough for a small cooler or to hold your dirty clothes....

Rip
2008 Motortrike

Attachments

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I built my own after looking at one of the kits.....

Went to my local welder and gave him a diagram of what I needed for the frame....Used a sheet of plywood for the floor, and mounted the rest on that....went to a local tent awning shop and had the black snap on cover made......center is big enough for a small cooler or to hold your dirty clothes....

Rip
2008 Motortrike
Yup. That will work. It took me a while to find the right size/shape cooler to make maximum use of the space. It and dirty clothes is exactly what I use the center section for. It sure is handy! <g>

Did you add structure to keep the side cases from twisting and keep the tonneau cover tight? I also added bumpers to keep the cooler from sliding around. All my bracing, etc. added less than a pound and 1/2.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
How much room between trike and bags? And much rise did that offset give it?What does it look like finshed? How far down did you take the cover?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Those photos were taken before I put the brace in front and had the cover made....the brace is aluminum and is up front holding things tight, and we shaved down some of the bumps on the top alittle...we also cut the fender off about level with the saddlebags.....

The cooler in the photo came from my old GL1500 rack that had a red leather cover over it....it was factory made by Cycle Cooler Caddy, it is nice....I still have it, but it wont fit the GL1800 trike due to the bumper and back trunk door....I guess I could lengthen it, but was trying to sell it to someone else that could use it....

Attachments

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
It looks as though we were thinking along the same lines. I used two 1/2" wide aluminum bars across the front with foam pipe insulating tubes around them, cut the 'bumps' off the top of the side cases, cut the bottom of the fender off (and covered the cut with door edging). I also added the frame that was removed when the side cases ere removed during a trike kit installation. This was probably the most important addition as it steadied the side cases/latches without adding noticeable bulk or weight. Since I used the tonneau cover supplied by CCT, I did not have to cover the entire unit, ,,,just the opening.

Those photos were taken before I put the brace in front and had the cover made....the brace is aluminum and is up front holding things tight, and we shaved down some of the bumps on the top alittle...we also cut the fender off about level with the saddlebags.....

The cooler in the photo came from my old GL1500 rack that had a red leather cover over it....it was factory made by Cycle Cooler Caddy, it is nice....I still have it, but it wont fit the GL1800 trike due to the bumper and back trunk door....I guess I could lengthen it, but was trying to sell it to someone else that could use it....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Soft side cooler

I have a soft collapsible colman cooler 25x21x21 that fits on my back rack and is as most coolers are WATER PROOF, it has worked great, not a drop of water get in it regardless of how bad the storm, holds enough gear to camp or clothes, or whatever you need! Its black and I DO NOT KNOW if they still make one that big, got it in 2002

·
Registered
197 Posts
California innovations!!

CHECKED MY BAG NAME, NOT A COLMAN, its a thermal pro from california innovations, works great as a cooler when you arrive and packs up your stuff when you leave!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
CHECKED MY BAG NAME, NOT A COLMAN, its a thermal pro from california innovations, works great as a cooler when you arrive and packs up your stuff when you leave!
Lots of folks use rigid and/or flexible coolers and various other containers on hitch racks with good success. They can be more economical than buying building a Tag A Long from scratch.

Advantages of Tag A Longs include ease of access to items inside, complementary to the lines of the motorcycle [appearance], three seperate compartments for organization of luggage, and better rear lighting and turn signals.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts