GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Tenn require trailers to have a license plates ( tags ), not a big trailer but something to pull behind the Wing.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Yes, but if you live in a state that doesn't require a tag, then the law of that state apply when you're traveling.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's kinda what I thought

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
That's interesting, when I moved from FL to TN, I registered all my cars, bikes and my folding Kendon trailer and got tags for all of them.

About three weeks later I got a letter from DMV stating they had some kind of issue with my trailer. I didn't fully understand their issue, so I did the only thing I thought possible to me, ignored it. I figured I'd wait until I got a second letter, I had no desire to stand 90 minutes in line at DMV only to be just as confused as when I started. That second letter never came. So I'll wait until I get a renewal on it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
NO tags required for trailers unless they are over 8' wide and/or 20' long according to the County Court Clerk, but you may purchase one if you so desire...:shrug:

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
OK! I stand corrected. Nice to know.

They're probably so cheap, it would be good to have one just to not get hassled in other states. I know here in Florida, there only about $18 a year.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok,, I m a bit confused?...( I am easily confused)...
are you saying in TN you do NOT even need a license plate on an M/C trailer?
I dont understand the term "tag"?
If so Im moving to 10 A C !!!!

take care,
bc

·
Registered
443 Posts
I called TN Vehicle Registration a few days ago to ask and they told me that for small trailers and utility trailers you don't need tags unless they are used for commercial purposes. Since I'm leaving for Alaska on Thursday I also called Canada and they told me that they will honor the requirements of the state. (I won't need a tag to enter Canada) I hope that proves to be true when I arrive at the border.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only reason I was asking was on our way to Tenn next week we might buy a trailer, for the wing. Then use it while up there for that week. I could always use the trailer tag thats on my Kendon but I figured why bother if you dont need one. Once back in Florida ( if we buy a trailer ) I can then get a tag for it. I also looked up the tag info for tenn and found the same thing, so either way I'm good. Thanks for all the info . We will be at the Wing Ding on Wednesday and Friday then heading back south on Saturday

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
The only reason I was asking was on our way to Tenn next week we might buy a trailer, for the wing. Then use it while up there for that week. I could always use the trailer tag thats on my Kendon but I figured why bother if you dont need one. Once back in Florida ( if we buy a trailer ) I can then get a tag for it. I also looked up the tag info for tenn and found the same thing, so either way I'm good. Thanks for all the info . We will be at the Wing Ding on Wednesday and Friday then heading back south on Saturday
So how you gonna get from Tenn back to Florida and not have a chance of getting stopped, since you have a Flordia plate on the bike:shrug:
for that matter, you may get hammered in Tenn without one, again, because of the Flordia plate on the bike:roll:
Check w/your BMV and see if a bill of sale on the new trailer will suffice for a few days or if you need and can have a temporary plate.

·
Registered
594 Posts
In TN you DO NOT need to register your MC trailer. However, in TN you CAN register your MC trailer if you wish.

While it is true that a TN resident does not need trailer tags and that TN law should be recognized throughout the US one can not expect every small town PD officer throughout the country to know and understand trailer registration laws for all 50 states. While you may legally be entitled to pull your TN trailer without plates reality dictates that you may in fact be cited for pulling an unregistered trailer if you are stopped outside TN. If you chose to fight the citation you would undoubtedly win but the feasibility of fighting a ticket a long, long ways from home is questionable at best.

My advice as a TN resident who has toured the lower 48 is if you plan on towing your trailer outside the state of TN go ahead and pay the $15 a year and get TN plates for your trailer even though they are not required. Having that TN plate makes traveling throughout the rest of the country worry free. :thumbup:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I called TN Vehicle Registration a few days ago to ask and they told me that for small trailers and utility trailers you don't need tags unless they are used for commercial purposes. Since I'm leaving for Alaska on Thursday I also called Canada and they told me that they will honor the requirements of the state. (I won't need a tag to enter Canada) I hope that proves to be true when I arrive at the border.

I pulled mine from Knoxville to Ontario and back, two weeks ago, without out a license plate (tag) and without a problem anywhere. Been all over East of the Mississippi - no issues.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll have the wing on my kendon trailer behind my suburban, then putting the bike and the trailer on the trialer towing them home to florida , and yes they will both fit as I did a dry run with a buddies trailer. I'm sure a bill of sale will do and atleast for the time being.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Four years ago 4 of us rode to Niagara Falls. About half way there we noticed that one of our group had an expired M/C Tag. We kept him in the middle of the pack and no one ever noticed. Not even the Canadian or U.S. border guards. :nojoke: :shrug:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If it has wheels and rolls in va. it has to have a tag. plus you pay personal property tax on it every year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts