GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i tried hooking up a Volo mod to my bike (2018 goldwing tour)this weekend and I think I blew out my blinkers on the back. All other lights work (running, breaks, front blinkers,etc) the only thing that was not working was my rear blinkers on my bike. I also hooked up a license plate frame light system. Got everything hooked up and tested and everything was working fine. Went out for a ride today and realized my blinkers were blinking at a fast rate witch tells me that I have a bulb burnt out. Got home checked it out and sure enough no blinkers on the back of the bike how ever, the blinkers on the license plate frame are still working. I tore everything off to get to the rear taillight assembly. I tested the wires going into the assembly and I do have power back to there. So I’m thinking that all’s I have to do is replace the bulb? But the manual says the hole turn signal light assembly has to be replaced is this true? At $300 for each one I wanted to ask if any one knows anything different?
Thanks for any useful input
Russ.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is this an 2018 wing?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You may want to disconnect everything you put on the rear and take to dealer. As under warranty and not say a word about wiring into the wiring harness. The new wiring systems are CAN bus systems. In other words, smart. It detected a fault as in too many amps at the rear wiring harness. More than likely the light controller itself may now be bad. Always check things like that and run thru a low amp relay. This will save the smart controllers. I work at a Honda car dealer, so see this all the time.

Reactions: Downunder wing

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may want to disconnect everything you put on the rear and take to dealer. As under warranty and not say a word about wiring into the wiring harness. The new wiring systems are CAN bus systems. In other words, smart. It detected a fault as in too many amps at the rear wiring harness. More than likely the light controller itself may now be bad. Always check things like that and run thru a low amp relay. This will save the smart controllers. I work at a Honda car dealer, so see this all the time.
But if I have power going into the plug that plugs in at the light assembly wouldn’t that mean it’s just the bulbs and not the light controller?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't have a 2018 or a 2018 manual so this is just the way I would check the blinker. Connect it directly to a 12v source and see what happens.

After that as jcsouders5464 said remove all signs of your mods and take it to the dealer if that is convenient .

Reactions: Russell1234

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Try disconnecting power and see if it resets things. As far as going to the dealer after you broke something only you can decide whats ethical. Ive said before the dealers constantly deny valid problems and claim it is a wear and tear issue or caused by the owner when the mod had nothing to do with the issue being taken in for.

For reasons such as this I will only buy a component tested by the business on my bike such as Electrical Connection or Skene Designs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know where the light controller is located? I can't seem to find it in the manual. Would it be part of the rear tail light assembly? I did order the left rear tail light just to see if that's what the problem is, if it is I will order the other one. I did find them on partzilla for cheaper ($241) if that's not it I will just take it to the dealer and explain what I did and have them fix it. It was my fault so I don't mind paying for my mistake, and I'll chalk it up to an expensive lessen learned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do you know where the light controller is located? I can't seem to find it in the manual. Would it be part of the rear tail light assembly? I did order the left rear tail light just to see if that's what the problem is, if it is I will order the other one. I did find them on partzilla for cheaper ($241) if that's not it I will just take it to the dealer and explain what I did and have them fix it. It was my fault so I don't mind paying for my mistake, and I'll chalk it up to an expensive lessen learned.
It is possible that light assembly is the controller also. That would save space and on a motorcycle space is at a premium.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update; I just got the new light combination units in yesterday and everything works now. It was expensive lesson learned. Now I just have to put everything back together.

·
Registered
750 Posts
fill us in? was the problem an overload of the light circuit? Did you have to replace something? sounds like it was bad, hope that is not the case

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
fill us in? was the problem an overload of the light circuit? Did you have to replace something? sounds like it was bad, hope that is not the case
According to his post #11 which is just above yours, it appears he replaced both the left and right combination tail light assemblies and now all is well.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Reactions: laen

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Update; I just got the new light combination units in yesterday and everything works now. It was expensive lesson learned. Now I just have to put everything back together.
It would have been even more expensive if the mod would have also taken out the front controller to the tune of $504.50. (Online price)

:doorag:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did have the license plate frame hooked to the show chrome fuse block but it wasn’t working with the volo mod when I would use the brake so dummy me I didn’t think that it would hurt to just tap in to the rear blinker wires, (I didn’t think that it would be adding that much more amps) well I was wrong oops.
Won’t be doing that again.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
We are learning that NOTHING can just be ‘tapped’ into on this new bike! Right?? :surprise:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I did have the license plate frame hooked to the show chrome fuse block but it wasn’t working with the volo mod when I would use the brake so dummy me I didn’t think that it would hurt to just tap in to the rear blinker wires, (I didn’t think that it would be adding that much more amps) well I was wrong oops.
Won’t be doing that again.
I would hang on to the old units, I'm sure you will not be the only one who makes this mistake. Repair services or information on how to repair will probably pop up in the future that will repair these units at a fraction of the cost. You'll have replacements for if or when they burn out in the future. As said in another post, I admire your honesty.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thats why I asked in another threat why show-chrome connect his trunk light directly in the Honda harness, could this cause problems to the canbus system?. The answer was , this is no problem it all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts