GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for a long trip and was checking the trailer lights when I noticed I don't have any taillights or dash lights. Replaced the fuse and unplugged the trailer and it tried it again and fuse blew immediately, so it's not the trailer. Yesterday I was working on CB and cleaned the connections with contact cleaner to the connections under the seat (because I keep getting a "CB error". Don't know if that is coincidence or not. What should I be looking for?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I would start looking for any wires that have worn down and is touching metal, then a better ground source for the trailer wire.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Can only guess from this point. However there have been quite a few posts over the years where the wiring for trailer lights was found to be pinched or crushed somewhere causing fuse blowing or no lights issues.
I would first check any accessory wirings. From the plug for the trailer to where they are tied into the bike's wiring. Eliminate the add on's first as a problem, then go on to the bike systems.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the problem. There was just a little exposed wire coming out of the harness for the tail lights under the seat.
Wrapped it with electrical tape and now it seems OK. It must of been touching metal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
KBot
Just saw your post here. I am sooooooooooo proud of you for finding the problem. U R becoming a real electrican !! LOL
Larry

Reactions: techdude2000
1 - 5 of 5 Posts