GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed down to the Tail of the Dragon from Richmond, Va last weekend. Total miles for the 3 day trip was 1250. Stayed at the Magnuson hotel in Sweetwater, Tennessee. This was my longest trip ever taken on a motorcycle and the wing performed flawlessly.
We hit some pretty serious rain on the way down there, but would do it again in a minute. Took 85 south, 40 west, 81/75 south to Sweetwater. The scenery was amazing.
The hotel was dated but clean, motorcycle friendly, and had decent covered parking. For 38 bucks a nite, what else could you want!
We rode the Cherohala Skyway to the Dragon to a small piece of the BRP. I have to say I enjoyed the skyway much better. All the twisties with faster speed limits and less traffic.
Got hassled by a Tenn. statie who accused one of our group of removing her helmet while underway (which she did not do), and threatened to write her up if she did it again, what a butthole!
Just down the road from the hotel is a barbeque joint with really friendly people and a good steak.
Sunday we took 81 north to 460 east to get home. A little sore when I got back but was ready to get back on the wing the next day! I have to say the motorcycle handled better than anything I have ever owned and I have had a few! That bike cut thru the curves like butter, and learned how to "steer" it from another winger with alot more experience than me. Just goes to show you even old dogs can learn something new.
Sorry for the length and no pics, just want to pass on the info for anyone heading to the area. Planning another trip for late September / early October.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am glad you enjoyed it. I will be heading there the week of August 22nd, also my first long trip on my 'Wing. For me though it will be roughly a 2400 mile trip that I expect to take 6 days: 2 days to get there, 2 days of riding the Tail etc. and then 2 days back home to Ontario, Canada. I am so excited!!:p ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds awesome. Definitley want atleast two days of riding while there. My next trip in the fall will be a two dayer. You will have a great time. Be safe and keep the rubber down.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would be interested to hear what you learned about steering. Sounds like something we all mey benefit from. Glad to hear you had a good trip.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I would be interested to hear what you learned about steering. Sounds like something we all mey benefit from. Glad to hear you had a good trip.
+1

·
Registered
709 Posts
Glad you enjoyed our little neck of the woods...yeah some of the LEO's...well...cough...I like the Cherohala much better than the dragon too, but seeing they are kinda close to one another...what the heck..LOL

Glad you had a safe trip..

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Steering :shock: what's that? I just sit there and the 1800 rides itself. I just determine speed. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole "steering" thing really was just based on getting back to some basics. Alot of people lean to steer, which is alright on smaller, lighter bikes (or your in the back seat)! On the larger jumbo jets that we operate, "counter steering" to lean is your best friend. Looking as far ahead in the turn as possible and counter steering really makes it even easier to throw the wings weight around. On a place like the Dragon, you get alot of practice and a great feel for what this motorcycle can do.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time wingman!:thumbup: I like you really enjoy The Cherohala and the BRP, but I have to admit the Dragon is just plain fun! Tues.-Thurs. ain't much traffic so it was really great!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Awesome, wingman.
I was in that area last summer for the first time--may make it back next month. Didn't get to the Cherohala last time, but I've heard great things.
Speaking of great--I'll check out that motel. Can't beat that price!
ob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts