GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I am from NL Canada and just bought a 06 wing Iam here at myrtle beach now till sunday riding to charleston sc and from there want to drive to the tail of the dragon maggie valley making my way to niagara falls canada what is the best route to take from charleston thanks:cool:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I can't answer your question but welcome to the forum!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Charleston

The most expeditious route is going to be up I26 to Asheville, I40 to 74/19 and into Maggie Valley. You may want to take the opportunity to run the lower Blue Ridge Parkway (BRPW). Again, take I26 north to just bellow Asheville. Make sure you gas up BEFORE you get on the BRPW. Take the BRPW all the way to 19 then, right back to Maggie Valley. After you hit the Dragon please do not forget to run the Cherohola Skyway and Old Moonshine 28. Safe Riding.

DOC:thumbup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the forum :thumbup:. Without routing you through a lot of small towns and two lane hiways, I believe this would be the easiest route to follow.

1. Take I-26 west out of Charleston, SC to Ashville, NC (a long ride).
2. Take hiway 74 south out of Ashville to 129 north to Robbinsville, NC.
3. The "Tail of the Dragon" is just down the road less than 20 miles.

This route will not take you through Maggie Valley, NC, but I believe it is the easiest way to get to the Dragon from Charleston, SC. You would have to get off 74 and onto 19 north, just outside of Ashville, to go through Maggie Valley.

Robbinsville, NC is a small mountain town with motels and places to eat. A group from Jacksonville, FL rode up to Robbinsville and stayed at the Microtel motel there. You might call ahead and make a reservation.

Black n Chrome

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Just beware that US17 South to Charleston has a lot of stop lights and heavy tourist traffic just like you see in Myrtle for about 50% of the way. Stop at Patriot's Point just before the bridge into Charleston to take in the Cold War Submariner's memorial (free) and the Yorktown tour (for a fee). Also in North Charleston at the old Navy base is the CSA Hunley museum, where they keep this remarkable artifact. Well, can you tell that I'm a bubblehead?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I agree with the I-26 route. Once off the interstate it's a great ride all the way to Knoxville.

·
Registered
195 Posts
An alternate selection could be the following:
I-26 W to Exit 187 (Ridgeville Road). Turn left to Rt 78 (Turn Right).
Follow Rt 78 to Aiken SC and take US 19 (North).
Follow US 19 to Rt 25. Take Rt 25 till it intersects Rt 378 (turn left).
Follow till it intersect RT 28 in McCorrmick SC. Turn Right and stay on Rt 28 (Old Moonshiner) till you hit Hwy 74 in Tenn.
Turn left on Hwy 74 till you intersects with Rt 28 (turn right / can't turn left).
Follow RT 28 to Deals Gap (Hellbender) and top of Tail of the Dragon.

Approximately 360 miles. Granted mostly 2 lane with stoplights and little towns, but you will see more of the countryside this way then Interstae slabbing.

Stop in Fortuna TN and you can buy T-shirts for the Moonshiner, Hellbender (very technical) and then Deals Gap for the Tail of the Dragon. you will by then have had plenty of practice for the Dragon.

Just a suggestion. Great roads and little Interstate.

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks to all that gave me directions heading out tomorrow.

Larry:coffee1:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dragon

I hope there isnt but while Iam here never know may ride one
LOL :coffee1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts