GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Next week I will be riding down to the "Dragon". I will leave Monday early morning and will return on Saturday night. I will be staying at the Microtel in Robbinsville Tuesday night to Friday morning.

Any suggestions as to what is the best route and halfway pints along the way? I have not booked any accomodations for that either. Is it ok to just take a chance and pick a motel along the way when I get too tired to ride? At this point I am planning to go down through Buffalo and come back up through Wndsor.

I already printed up plenty of maps for round trips etc. while being down there so I won't miss the best roads hopefully.

Also I have not been able to get my best friend to join me with his FJR so I am going alone and without passenger. Any precautions I should take? I have never been on a long ride like this before so as determined as I am to go and have fun I am also a little apprehensive.

Any input is appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Dragon is only 11 miles so you will need to ride all the other great roads in the area. Here are are suggestions. You must ride Little Pigeon River Road from Sugarland Visitor Center in The Smokys to Cades Cove .
Ride throught the park from Sugarland Visitor Center to Cherokee NC, over to Brison City NC, to Fontana Dam and Back into Robinsonville.
Ride the Cherola Skyway only when the weather looks good.
Stay away from Pigeon Forge if it is the weekend. Avoid Sevierville from I 40 if it is the weekend. If your in Maggie Valley check out Wheels through time motorcycle museum. Ride the Blue Ridge Parkway to Mt Mitchell and check out Little Switzerland right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Ride the Diamondback over to the interstae from Little Switzerland, only in the daylite.
Pack rain gear. You will get some rain while your in the smokys. Be ready to put on and take off layers of clothes easily. Take an atlas map. The GPS will want to take you off Parkways so just ignore your GPS on the parkways. I try to plan my stops while riding then see if I can get a discount online before I leave. Use your GWRRA discount card fo motel rooms.
:agree:Dude...that pretty much sums up for a great ride...makeing me want to go....lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
863 Posts
ride the dragon, get a sticker and a t shirt and leave. ride 28 south all the way through frankin and highlands. then pick up 64 and rride it to rosman to 215 north to the parkway. or drive throuugh rosman to brevard and go north on 276 to the parkway. ride back to cherokee and take 74 back to 129.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
The Dragon is fun for 1 day. Just to say you rode it. Biggest danger is some rider coming from the other direction and misreading a curve. Weekdays will be the lightest traffic. Trucks pulling trailer come through there also so don't cut a curve wide unless you can see around it or see the next two curves before entering. Hope you have Wayah Rd. on your list. A day would be 129 South to 74. Left for about 5 miles to Wayah. Right on Wayah to the end. Right on 64 for about 16 miles to left on 175 to Hiawassee. Right on 515 at McDonalds. 20 miles down to Blue Ridge. Left on 60. Great road. 15 miles and left on Wolf Pen Gap( motorcycle capital of Georgia). Right on 129 to Turners corner. Turn around and ride back uphill on 129( my favorite stretch in Georgia). Right on 180. Stop at Brasstown Bald ( highest elevation with nice tower on top) Left back on 180 to right turn to Dillard. Dillard house is just as big a must as Dragon's Tail. About 18.00 but family style and they keep bringing the food until you say 'Whoa'. Pick up 28 in Franklin and ride up to end on 74. Left through Nantahala Gourge to 129. Right on 129 for about 14 miles to Robbinsville. When you run Cherohalla don't miss the Museaum at the end and Tellico Plains Bakery. have fun, BE CAREFUL.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You've got some great ideas here already, Andreas-
The main thing is--have fun and be careful.
Looks like this heatwave may finally be easing up.
You've got the makings of a great ride ahead of you--before you ever get to the Dragon! If you've got the time, 2-lane roads are a world apart from Interstates! Enjoy the journey.
OB

·
Canuck
2,843 Posts
Hi Andreas - Sounds like a great trip. And great advice you've received. What are your plans for your return trip? I'll be working in Georgia that week. Will be leaving Marietta, GA mid-afternoon on Friday, and plan on heading north to Cherokee NC, and then continuing north via the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Dr. A couple of black 2004 Wings might look nice riding the BRP together.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Eat one night at 'Jim 'n' Nicks' at the corner of South Cobb Drive and the East-West Connector. Good Bar-B-Cue if you like Bar-B-Cue. If you don't I wouldn't mention that down here.:lol:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Eat one night at 'Jim 'n' Nicks' at the corner of South Cobb Drive and the East-West Connector. Good Bar-B-Cue if you like Bar-B-Cue. If you don't I wouldn't mention that down here.:lol:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Sorry, I was talking to PaulC. Rib Country in Blue Ridge would be a good place for Bar-B-Cue up in the Dragon area.:roll:

·
Canuck
2,843 Posts
Thanks Joe. I'll try it (or one of the other GA locations). Wouldn't even think about not liking bar-b-q while in the south. That'd be like saying you don't like hockey here. :wrong:

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Andreas - Sounds like a great trip. And great advice you've received. What are your plans for your return trip? I'll be working in Georgia that week. Will be leaving Marietta, GA mid-afternoon on Friday, and plan on heading north to Cherokee NC, and then continuing north via the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Dr. A couple of black 2004 Wings might look nice riding the BRP together.
At this point I was planning to leave Robbinsville Friday morning, take the I-75 all the way north to Detroit and then home to arrive Saturday night. I am not sure how to hook up since I am heading out of the area as you are arriving. I guess you are planning to come home on Sunday? And yes, two black 2004 Goldwings would look fantastic together on the BRP!:thumbup:

Let's see if we can work this out somehow.

·
Canuck
2,843 Posts
At this point I was planning to leave Robbinsville Friday morning, take the I-75 all the way north to Detroit and then home to arrive Saturday night. I am not sure how to hook up since I am heading out of the area as you are arriving. I guess you are planning to come home on Sunday? And yes, two black 2004 Goldwings would look fantastic together on the BRP!:thumbup:

Let's see if we can work this out somehow.
I'd be holding you back a full day. I won't get into Cherokee until dinner time on Friday. And I'll be returning via the BRP, which will take longer than I-75.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Ride 421 ( the Snake) from Boone to Bristol.

One of the nicest parts of the BRP is from Asheville (or Boone if you want to ride a longer piece) to Cherokee.

When crossing GSMNP take the side trip to Clingmans Dome.

Consider Maggie Valley as an alternate 'base camp'.

Ride 276 from Maggie Valley to 64 near Brevard. 64 west to Franklin or all the way to 19.

28 between 129 and 19.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be holding you back a full day. I won't get into Cherokee until dinner time on Friday. And I'll be returning via the BRP, which will take longer than I-75.
Paul,

Looks like this is not working out yet again. Too bad, I would have loved to hook up with you. Have a great trip down and back. Riding your "Wing on business, eh? I like your job, Paul! You are probably writing some bike expenses off as well. Way to go! :lol:

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the great replies! I have printed them out and will take them along. Hopefully I can integrate most of the suggested roads into my travels. :cool::excited:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Microtel was a blast! Essentially scooters only. Be sure to hang out in the parking lot at the end of the day and visit with all the other riders from around the continent.
Carolina Kitchen in Robbinsville offered up a mean steak. We also had sandwhiches from the grocery store deli just across the street and down a block from the hotel.
Enjoy the ecenery!

Almost forgot, if you want a super quiet room, ask for a location on the back side of the hotel which overlooks a utility company utility truck parking lot.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts