GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a scoot down to Tennessee this spring and want to run the Tail of the Dragon. Does anyone have any info or experience to share?

I am setting up the travel route and want to make sure we don't miss anything - Thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience on the Gold Wing but I rode it last September and it isn't bad, I really enjoyed it, think you will too.
Remember, don't look down in the curves.

·
Chard Member
13,051 Posts
Like Mark stated, it is a blast! :)

Rt28 out of the gap to 74 is a excellent road also. 28 is right at the Gap store. Make sure you ride the Cherohala Parkway(?) also. No bad roads in that area, just bad riders. :( Just watch out for trikes and Goldwings going left of center......not cool.

If while up there you don't scrape your crash guards or the under belly of the 1800, you aren't riding it hard enough! LOL....

·
Registered
59 Posts
We were there last year at the Hoot 2003, what a blast it was to ride the Dragon for the first time. The first couple of passes both ways take your time and get to kind of know it and respect it!!! We did see a couple of riders down and one was on a Wing with Paramedics there (we all hoped he or she was OK, lots of damage to the Wing) Do check out the Dragon web site and "Deals Gap Forum" it will have a section on "Other Roads".

www.tailofthedragon.com/

Do ride 129 south at the end of the Dragon at Deals Gap to HWY 19, turn left heading East about 2 miles at the bottom of the hill to Wayah Road, turn right on Wayah Road till it dead ends in Franklin NC at I think it was Frank Murphy Road but not sure, turn left there to the second stop light and turn left, this should be NC 28 North, follow it and it will join a new section of HWY 19 West and then NC 28 will turn North again, stay on NC 28 North, you go by Fontana Dam and then end up at Deals Gap. It is worth the ride!!!!!! There are maps at the web site.
You will have a geat time!!!!

We will be there from June 26 to July 3, 2004 and will be staying at the Tree Tops.

Udhawg
St. Louis, MO.
02, Black and out side the frame recall (YES)

·
Registered
824 Posts
It's overrated. The road getting you there from the north is much prettier and the road to the east at the bottom of it is also prettier. Just my opinion guys, I'd also much prefer to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway than the Gap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Deals Gap, Its GREAT

Make sure and ride the Cherohala Skyway, Theres a turn off
for the Ranger Station on the skyway make sure and take that
turn off for a few miles to see the waterfall its really worth seeing.

Everyone around there can lead you to the waterfall on the skyway.

Here is a great old fashion place to stay down there its by the skyway, the dam and the dragon...I have a picture of the place and will email it to you it you want to see what it looks like ( I still have not figured out how to post a picture on this thing)

Tuskeegee Motel
828-479-8464

Its located on 28 just before 129

Let me know if you need anything else...Have fun

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do the dragon on a weekday. Weekends bring out all the crazys. Remember that some trucks... yes BIG trucks use the road too. The corners are so tight, the trailer wheels WILL be in the other lane. Above all, remember... Sometimes the Dragon wins...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Be well aware of the crazies on the Dragon. I really dont worry about my abilities its the nuts on the crotch rockets that are on YOUR side of the road that will git ya. I would avoid the place, especially on the weekends. Ride Cherohola!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies and advise - I guess from what I have read here the Dragons Tail is a fun place - if you don't get killed.

We may not get that far east but from what it sound like the eastern end of Tennessee is pretty scenic. I guess we will just "Wing" it.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here's the real Deal's Gap website:

http://www.dealsgap.com/index2.php

I will also second the recommendation of running it on a weekday, weekends tend to have entirely too much traffic, and a large percentage are squids on sportbikes riding very recklessly.

Weekdays tend to be much calmer.

·
Registered
619 Posts
it was AWESOME! CHEF AND I RODE IT LAST SUMMER......Chef had a look on his face like a "JACKASS EATING CACTUS"..I bought all the crap that goes with it..t-shirts, patches..lol well worth it..just to say that U rode it......
bruce aka "the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with Darryl it's over rated. No scenery to see because you CANNOT take your eyes off the road. To dangerous, too many bikers,cars going left of center. Just not my idea of fun. The other roads in the area offer as much fun and less danger.
Randy F
Concord, NC

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree with Randy. I rode it once but it is much too dangerous because of crotch rockets and other riders attempting to show off their skills.

Much nicer and less dangerous roads to ride. JMO :p :sw1:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pump up your rear suspension before running the dragon. It will give you more ground clearance and let you accelerate out of the curves with more control. Stay away from the edge of the road, specially on inside curves. Many times there is sand and gravel there thrown up by the trucks and cages that drop a wheel off onto the shoulder.
Make sure you ride the Little River Road from Gatlinburg to Townsend. It's one of the prettiest rides in the area. It follows the river most of the way and is flat, but lots of curves. The State of Tennessee has gratiously moved the river from one side of the road to the other, several times along this section, just so motorcyclist don't get a kink in the neck from looking in one direction all the time. This is the same road that takes you to Cades Cove, but don't try that part unless it's a weekday. The weekend traffic is awful. 2 hours to go 15 miles in stop and go traffic.
Chuckwagon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts