GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Pretty sure they no longer allow big rigs out there, but that doesn't mean there aren't other bikes/cages that you may find in your lane.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Easy road. Except some of the bad riders / drivers on it.

Biggest issue for me is the many vendors that set up camera points at the more interesting turns. Many people when they see a camera they riding differently ...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Signs have been posted on both sides well before & right at the entrance for years... but as it's a US highway (not some county or state road), most non-local truck drivers expect it to be passable & usable for commercial traffic.

While roads like these are common knowledge to us... put yourself in the cab of a big truck, far from home, all of the roads are unfamiliar, and you're simply going off of a map negotiating countless back roads thru the mountains trying to get the load from Point A to Point B. You see a "major" US highway on the map, and figure you oughta be able to use it.

With the advent of GPS & trucker maps, it occurs much less... but some fly-by-night operators, some possibly trying to evade weigh stations, still try to use it occasionally.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rode this back on 7/15/19. Road North to South to Deals Gap about 10am in the morning. Very little traffic and was a nice ride! Picked up the Cherohala Skyway on the way back East. That was a magnificent ride!

Reactions: 823Jim

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I tried to ride it once ]UNCLE JOHN SAVED MY LIFE Thank you John again!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rode this when I had the Yamaha venture back in ‘13 I believe, maybe ‘14. Went with a bunch of people. Scary but was manageable. Stayed in 1-2 gear the entire way up and back down. The worst part was the crotch rockets that passed you in the same direction you were going. One in particular missed clipping me by mere millimeters. Had I found him at the bottom, there would have been fisticuffs. I made it and it’s off my list. No real interest to go exclusively for that again...

·
Registered
482 Posts
The **** Roads thing was sensationalized to make money..

not saying it's a place to let your attention wander or push beyond your skill.

But it's a fun road (when the traffic isn't too thick and people are being curtious and using the pull offs)

Oh yeah, Darrell and Lori have started riding bikes again...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Dragon

I rode it twice this spring and loved it. The traffic was very light for both passes. In fact, when I rode it late one Monday afternoon, I neither passed anyone, nor was I passed by anyone. I loved the road. It is tiring for me to ride because I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. Being from Kansas, roads like Deal's Gap are very different from my normal roads. Deals Gap has 318 curves in 11 miles. Many Kansas roads have 11 curves in 318 miles. :frown2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Reactions: Arizona16

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
There are better roads with less of a stupidity quotient...

I choose those!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I will be going through there Sunday the last day of wing ding, with wife on the back and pulling a trailer. Headed to Sapphire N.C.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'll be riding from the Florida panhandle to Baltimore and was planing on giving this a try. I think I would be remiss if I didn't video it. Also open for suggestion on a good route to Baltimore. I will not take I-95 through Virginia, I have never had a pleasant trip going this way.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Enjoy your ride WT and hope the wifey enjoys it. The road is a blast. Have fun at WD!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sunday afternoon, three wrecks in the round trip from Deals Gap. Meet some good folks from all over the country. It’s a bucket list ride but allow time for other roads in the area that are better rides.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I rode The Devils Triangle Saturday, it was a good day trip from north AL. It's in Oak Ridge, TN, not too far from The Dragon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts