GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to ride the tail of the toad!! Cant get to the dragon, so toad, here we come!!!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
So I guess your are back from the tail of HELL (Houston) ride.Have I ever mentioned I do not like that area.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I'll let Paciia respond as to the whereabouts the "Tail of the Toad" is located. The lore of the "toad" as the Eastland locals call it, or "Horned Toad" to us tourists, is in reference to "RIP" the legendary Horned Toad of Eastland Texas.
All I can say about the "Tail of the Toad" is that its a spirited route, well, as spirited as it gets for them parts. Not so much that the roads are that crooked, twisty or whatever you'd call it. But more for the route you must take to avoid the grasshoppers that rival the size of a hummingbird.
Mark, I found 6 imbedded hitchhikers and spent an hour cleaning all of that gunk off my bike when I got home. But a fun day it was....

To learn more about the legendary RIP of Eastland, Ripfest is coming up on October 1, 2011. We had a great time last year and the town treated the visitors like royalty. There's a bike show, (all the participants received a bag of goodies), a car show, parade and great food. Hopefully the weather will again cooperate and be as nice as it was last year.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tail of the toad run starts at the courthouse in Eastland. Head south on hwy 6 about 11 miles to the blinking light at Carbon. Turn right into Carbon on FM 1027. Go straight through Carbon and heed the warnings of the road signs for the next 14 miles. At the "T" intersection of FM 1027 and FM 587, turn left. This a a long straight 12 mile run of isolated back road. Look closely for the next turn at the intersection of FM 587 and FM 679. At this intersection you are in the community of Duster. FM 679 is the Duster hi-way. Turn left(north) onto FM 679 and head 7 miles to Gorman. On the south side of Gorman(at the football field) turn right onto hwy 8. Follow 8 a few blocks through Gorman to the north side of town and look for FM 2689. Turn left and run the road all the way past the community of Kokomo to the intersection of FM 2689 and FM 2214. Left on 2214 and almost an immediate right on 2461. This takes you across the dam at Lake Leon. 5 miles later, at the intersection of FM 2461 and Fm 570, turn left. Watch the signs!! The next 3 miles is a blast!! At the end of Fm 570, turn right onto the combo of FM 570/2214 and Head back in to Eastland. Its about a 60 mile run, full of plenty of sharp peg draggers and sweepers, held together by long empty straight runs that let you check your gps speed with the factory speedo. Come give it a whirl!!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sounds like a road trip!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well, now that you mention it --- yes I do!!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan... don't you mean "toad" trip? :)

Hey how come we didn't get an invite? :wrong:
You were in Fburg with your lovley!! She would not like the toad getting between you and her!!
Besides, we were just trying to plan the "Ride for Rip"-Tail of the toad run for Oct at "RipFest"!! I am trying to put together a fun day and special surprise for all of the wingers from the board that come out to "RipFest" Details to come!!!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You were in Fburg with your lovley!! She would not like the toad getting between you and her!!
Besides, we were just trying to plan the "Ride for Rip"-Tail of the toad run for Oct at "RipFest"!! I am trying to put together a fun day and special surprise for all of the wingers from the board that come out to "RipFest" Details to come!!!!

OH.... ok i won't tell anyone.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
RIP-fest

Hmm...sounds like a fun October road trip...

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hmm...sounds like a fun October road trip...

jhughes556, tommyboyTx and I plan to be there to help Paciia keep Eastland straight.

It would be great to see you again!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
October

jhughes556, tommyboyTx and I plan to be there to help Paciia keep Eastland straight.

It would be great to see you again!!!!!!
Let's just say it's a strong possibility depending on the weather!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is going to be fun!!!! Mark your calender!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts